• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9ers vs Rams

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just dont see it. I dont see him being anything special. 15 Int in college is a lot. If we do draft him I hope you are right. I will stay positive and have his back but right now Im concerned if we draft him. Completions % isnt anything special and he has had weapons.

Can't say eliminate Watson from consideration at #2, but you can't help wonder why his stats isn't better?

Anyway, i've been saying since the rule changes.......start with passing skills. Don't start with athletic ability, proto-typical size, winning percentage, etc. These factors DO matter, but after you find the best passers.

It is up to the scouts to separate passing skills from just pure passing stats.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's a lot to give up with our current roster situation. We're not a QB away from making noise in the playoffs and I think it's important to draft around our current strengths and young players. We still have a long ways to go until free agency opens up and we see what's out there (or who's willing to wheel and deal). If Baalke is still in play...we might head down that road (Baalke self preservation).

Agree. Niners are not one, two or three players from being competitive. Niners need to keep their draft picks to stockpile talent and depth. I just hope Baalke is gone next week and Niners start fresh.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say eliminate Watson from consideration at #2, but you can't help wonder why his stats isn't better?

Anyway, i've been saying since the rule changes.......start with passing skills. Don't start with athletic ability, proto-typical size, winning percentage, etc. These factors DO matter, but after you find the best passers.

It is up to the scouts to separate passing skills from just pure passing stats.

Exactly this. That is why I don't really see QB worthy of the #2 pick at present.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I'll say is that we are close to certainly several players away from being competitive in the playoffs....unless they hit on not just a solid/good QB, but an all time type of guy. If the current roster had a Joe Montana or an Aaron Rodgers type player, I think we'd be in the hunt for the playoffs right now.

Yes I know...it's the longest of long shots and we shouldn't just draft QB's until we hit one but.....just sayin.

Oh and, the Steelers are resting Ben/Bell/Brown so...Go Browns!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only thing I'll say is that we are close to certainly several players away from being competitive in the playoffs....unless they hit on not just a solid/good QB, but an all time type of guy. If the current roster had a Joe Montana or an Aaron Rodgers type player, I think we'd be in the hunt for the playoffs right now.

Yes I know...it's the longest of long shots and we shouldn't just draft QB's until we hit one but.....just sayin.

Oh and, the Steelers are resting Ben/Bell/Brown so...Go Browns!

Wouldn't quite go this far, but certainly agree getting that QB alone, lifts the team a lot. So a rookie QB (hopefully a 'top' prospect?) will take his lumps next season, but will be ready the following.

The other reason i don't go this far is the lack of a pass rush. The D is weak against the run too, but feel this can be addressed (improved, not making it solid) more so than the pass rush. Right now, the pass rush can only be improved by adding talented pass rushers.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's a lot to give up with our current roster situation. We're not a QB away from making noise in the playoffs and I think it's important to draft around our current strengths and young players. We still have a long ways to go until free agency opens up and we see what's out there (or who's willing to wheel and deal). If Baalke is still in play...we might head down that road (Baalke self preservation).

I certainly hope Baalke is gone. All signs point to that

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't quite go this far, but certainly agree getting that QB alone, lifts the team a lot. So a rookie QB (hopefully a 'top' prospect?) will take his lumps next season, but will be ready the following.

The other reason i don't go this far is the lack of a pass rush. The D is weak against the run too, but feel this can be addressed (improved, not making it solid) more so than the pass rush. Right now, the pass rush can only be improved by adding talented pass rushers.

Only reason I stated the above was really the situation of a guy I mentioned - Aaron Rodgers. We can argue about talent and semantics and all, but if Rogers ain't on the Packers, they are a 4 win team. A lot of what you say ties into what an all time QB can do - ie you say lack of pass rush, and I'll say it's because a lot of times we are playing from so far behind that teams mostly rush to burn out the clock. The pass rush wouldn't be all of a sudden 85 Bears, but the team would be in a lot more positions to blitz/tee off/etc.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason I stated the above was really the situation of a guy I mentioned - Aaron Rodgers. We can argue about talent and semantics and all, but if Rogers ain't on the Packers, they are a 4 win team. A lot of what you say ties into what an all time QB can do - ie you say lack of pass rush, and I'll say it's because a lot of times we are playing from so far behind that teams mostly rush to burn out the clock. The pass rush wouldn't be all of a sudden 85 Bears, but the team would be in a lot more positions to blitz/tee off/etc.

Aaron Rogers...the one that got away...single tear. #wellneverknow

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont see it. I dont see him being anything special. 15 Int in college is a lot. If we do draft him I hope you are right. I will stay positive and have his back but right now Im concerned if we draft him. Completions % isnt anything special and he has had weapons.
Well, we gotta start somewhere and QB is the biggest area of need.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we gotta start somewhere and QB is the biggest area of need.

I agree with you...but I don't want to reach on a QB just because it's a point of need. IMO non of those guys are worthy of that pick and I think that there are plenty of other positions where the pick will bring in more value to the team in the long run. I guess we'll have to see who will be pulling the trigger for us during the draft. I wonder how long our FO will take to clip Baalke. I hate saying that because I don't wish for people to get fired...but he's basically failed pretty miserably in the draft process nearly every year...mostly on the offensive side of the ball. Meanwhile, other teams are finding some high quality late rounders that are providing impact right out of the gates.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you...but I don't want to reach on a QB just because it's a point of need. IMO non of those guys are worthy of that pick and I think that there are plenty of other positions where the pick will bring in more value to the team in the long run. I guess we'll have to see who will be pulling the trigger for us during the draft. I wonder how long our FO will take to clip Baalke. I hate saying that because I don't wish for people to get fired...but he's basically failed pretty miserably in the draft process nearly every year...mostly on the offensive side of the ball. Meanwhile, other teams are finding some high quality late rounders that are providing impact right out of the gates.
I still like the idea of trading #2 pick to browns for #10 2nd rd pick and next year 2nd rd pick. Browns browns get pick 1,2 and can draft Garrett and UNC QB and we still get top 10 pick plus 2 early picks in the 2nd this year and next

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like the idea of trading #2 pick to browns for #10 2nd rd pick and next year 2nd rd pick. Browns browns get pick 1,2 and can draft Garrett and UNC QB and we still get top 10 pick plus 2 early picks in the 2nd this year and next

I actually like this idea. Not sure if the Browns will bite...this could give us a lot of options provided we're not already eyeing someone for the 2nd...which we shouldn't...at all.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After dealing with Kaepernick, the last thing I want to see is someone like D. Watson picked @ 2.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade gives us options and browns add 2 big talents for a team with a poor roster . They add a big offensive player and a big defensive player to build around on each side of the ball. We can still draft a QB at 10 and then back to back 2nd rd picks like a WR and a pass rusher. Deep class in pass rushers

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a history trade. When was the last time a team had the #1 and #2 pick. Crazy it would be good for both teams another idea is we keep #2 and trade for #1 for this year 2nd and 4th and next year 1st and 3rd we draft Garrett and UNC QB. We get our QB and pass rusher. I'm not a big fan of this idea but it's another direction to go into. Go all in. Browns add picks plus still have a top 10 pick. I feel we have too many holes to go all in

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we just disagree on how Pro-ready Watson is.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rogers...the one that got away...single tear. #wellneverknow

Our organization was and has been in such shambles not even Rodgers would have saved it. I don't even know if Rodgers would have stuck around as long as Alex did trying to make it work. Rodgers benefited greatly by sitting behind Farve and growing hungry for 3 years. It also helped that their offense stayed the same during these years.

Rodgers with us is playing as a rookie on a team with no talent and getting a new offensive coordinator every year. It's more likely in this scenario he never becomes the Aaron Rodgers we know today.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah, as much as we want a QB, lets not force one either. At this point, it looks like drafting any QB at #2, is forcing it.

Yes, the theory of drafting is bringing in the most talent you can. It is easy to look at Need for the next season, but filling that need with 'lesser' talent, isn't worth it. We're better off adding more talent even if not a high need. Things change so fast and that spot you drafted can become a dire Need sooner rather than later. So we have to look at it over consecutive years, where the accumulation of maximum talent adds up.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our organization was and has been in such shambles not even Rodgers would have saved it. I don't even know if Rodgers would have stuck around as long as Alex did trying to make it work. Rodgers benefited greatly by sitting behind Farve and growing hungry for 3 years. It also helped that their offense stayed the same during these years.

Rodgers with us is playing as a rookie on a team with no talent and getting a new offensive coordinator every year. It's more likely in this scenario he never becomes the Aaron Rodgers we know today.

Yea I originally wrote nearly exactly what you wrote...then I erased it...we all know the train wreck the organization was for a decade. Just decided to keep it it purely cynical.