• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/29 Sandy Waffle @ Here Comes 100

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego Padres (70-89)

1. Manuel Margot (R) CF
2. Carlos Asuaje (L) 2B
3. Wil Myers (R) 1B
4. Yangervis Solarte (S) SS
5. Cory Spangenberg (L) 3B
6. Hunter Renfroe (R) RF
7. Travis Jankowski (L) LF
8. Austin Hedges (R) C
9. Jordan Lyles (R) P

San Francisco Giants (62-97)

1. Hunter Pence (R) RF
2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
3. Denard Span (L) CF
4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
7. Jarrett Parker (L) LF
8. Nick Hundley (R) C
9. Chris Stratton (R) P

So glad to see the young guys playing and showing what they can do. While the vets who have barely hit this season continue to be rolled out. :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego Padres (70-89)

1. Manuel Margot (R) CF
2. Carlos Asuaje (L) 2B
3. Wil Myers (R) 1B
4. Yangervis Solarte (S) SS
5. Cory Spangenberg (L) 3B
6. Hunter Renfroe (R) RF
7. Travis Jankowski (L) LF
8. Austin Hedges (R) C
9. Jordan Lyles (R) P

San Francisco Giants (62-97)

1. Hunter Pence (R) RF
2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
3. Denard Span (L) CF
4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B
7. Jarrett Parker (L) LF
8. Nick Hundley (R) C
9. Chris Stratton (R) P

So glad to see the young guys playing and showing what they can do. While the vets who have barely hit this season continue to be rolled out. :noidea:
Who would you like to see play instead of those in the lineup?

Keep in mind that Slater and Mac are both hurt.

Calixte? OK, but he isn’t a future asset anyway.

Tomlinson? OK, but he would play in place of Sandoval, and if Sandoval is anywhere close to the bubble, I want to give him every chance to fail.

Jones? Sure, but he is CLEARLY out matched at this point in his career, so I don’t really care right now.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tomlinson? OK, but he would play in place of Sandoval, and if Sandoval is anywhere close to the bubble, I want to give him every chance to fail.

Jones? Sure, but he is CLEARLY out matched at this point in his career, so I don’t really care right now.
Williamson is hurt? What happened?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williamson is hurt? What happened?
Got hit in the hand on Wed. He didn’t leave the game right away, so it may not be serious, but with just 3 games left, it might be season ending.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryu got hammered tonite. :heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants hold on and win this game, will there be an onfield celebration?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants hold on and win this game, will there be an onfield celebration?

No but I hope they win tomorrow and have an on field celebration for Matt Cain's last appearance.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local crawl just said Phil Nevin is the leading candidate for the Tigers' manager job.

Hey @Stokes1931 maybe he'll steal Bam Bam from us...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're right, just venting about a crappy season. Seemingly every decision made has been the wrong one anyway.

And staring 100 losses and the #1 pick in the face, the Giants decide to hit tonight.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, just venting about a crappy season. Seemingly every decision made has been the wrong one anyway.

And staring 100 losses and the #1 pick in the face, the Giants decide to hit tonight.
:yo:

Fair enough.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Hundley join Bell as a one-and-done Willie Mac award winner, or will he re-up?

If they really want him around, I think they HAVE to trade Belt in order to move Posey, but I just have a hard time seeing that happen. Posey doesn’t want to shift and Belts trade value has never been lower.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Stratton though

I like what Stratton has done. He still walks too many (about 4.5/9), his WHIP is too high (1.50), and his GO/AO ratio is upside down (0.93) but shouldn't matter much at AT&T.

Saw him pitch twice at Sacramento this season, and he did well both times. His curve is a plus pitch, when he controls it.

There was a reason Stratton was a 1st round pick, maybe he's beginning to show big league stuff.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Stratton has done. He still walks too many (about 4.5/9), his WHIP is too high (1.50), and his GO/AO ratio is upside down (0.93) but shouldn't matter much at AT&T.

Saw him pitch twice at Sacramento this season, and he did well both times. His curve is a plus pitch, when he controls it.

There was a reason Stratton was a 1st round pick, maybe he's beginning to show big league stuff.
IIRC, he came out of college with 2 or 3 MLB-ready pitches. He just needed endurance and some control, and was expected to be a fast mover. The fast moving part was clearly a miscalculation.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beede who?

I was reading some interesting stuff a few days ago, forgot where, but it was Fed-X talking about some of the pitchers in AAA. He had a lot of good things about Stratton. One that stuck out to me was that he was timid with his fastball, even though it's really good. He said he was trying to be too cute with it, but needed to attack guys with it. And a good fastball help the offspeed pitches play up (his curveball has been sick).

This makes me wonder if he lost a lot of confidence in the fastball in the minors, and was part of the reason he floundered a bit. In college, he was mid-high 90s with the fastball, but since he was drafted (and after he was hit in the head), his fastball dipped to low-mid 90s. I wonder if the velo dip messed with his head. I'm pretty sure that Fed-X was not the first person to tell him to attack hitters with his fastball, but I wonder if it didn't really resonate with him until this recent run of success.

Regardless, I think the mid-rotation starter that Stratton was projected to be never left, it just needed to be rediscovered. I hope this is legit, because it would be huge if he can stick.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading some interesting stuff a few days ago, forgot where, but it was Fed-X talking about some of the pitchers in AAA. He had a lot of good things about Stratton. One that stuck out to me was that he was timid with his fastball, even though it's really good. He said he was trying to be too cute with it, but needed to attack guys with it. And a good fastball help the offspeed pitches play up (his curveball has been sick).

This makes me wonder if he lost a lot of confidence in the fastball in the minors, and was part of the reason he floundered a bit. In college, he was mid-high 90s with the fastball, but since he was drafted (and after he was hit in the head), his fastball dipped to low-mid 90s. I wonder if the velo dip messed with his head. I'm pretty sure that Fed-X was not the first person to tell him to attack hitters with his fastball, but I wonder if it didn't really resonate with him until this recent run of success.

Regardless, I think the mid-rotation starter that Stratton was projected to be never left, it just needed to be rediscovered. I hope this is legit, because it would be huge if he can stick.
And potentially give us a legit #4 next year.

And IF Moore can rediscover himself, that is still a sick rotation with 2 or 3 legit #1 pitchers

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since he came up on July 25th (where he more or less has remained in the bigs):

8 games, 42 IP, 3.00 ERA, 8.57 K/9, 4.07 BB/9, 1.45 WHIP, .256 BAA. Not excellent, maybe a bit lucky, but something to work with. We'll see.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd feel much more comfortable giving Stratton the inside track at a rotation spot than Blach.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And potentially give us a legit #4 next year.

And IF Moore can rediscover himself, that is still a sick rotation with 2 or 3 legit #1 pitchers

Bum/Cueto/Shark/Moore/Stratton

I still have a hard time believing this team is as bad as their record shows tbh. Just add a bit to the offense (understatement of the year) and a lefty in the Pen.