• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 9/26/2017: Farrell had better wrap this up FAST, Judge sets rookie HR mark & more

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge wont be MVP because ya know, they would never vote for a Yankee, but he is the MVP.......Just thought we should celebrate that
The NA protest or the AL MVP argument. Geezuz. That's all anyone talks about at Zig's too. The two fucking message boards may as well merge.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NA protest or the AL MVP argument. Geezuz. That's all anyone talks about at Zig's too. The two fucking message boards may as well merge.

LMAO

Lemme guess, Snoogins thinks it should be Sale, than Altuve, than Kluber, than Betts

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge wont be MVP because ya know, they would never vote for a Yankee, but he is the MVP.......Just thought we should celebrate that

mrw-i-check-the-balance-of-my-bank-account-16109.gif

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez is my boy

For the record, I was never on the Judge train, as a matter of fact I kept telling the media to STFU about him, and I thought the Judges' chambers was the gayest Randy Levine creation ever

Id offer the A's Aaron Judge for Sonny Gray and Alonso today
I wouldnt mess with the young high end guys, you see what Frazier is becoming, i wouldnt screw around with those guys

Judge is 25, and is a lighter skinned Chris Carter

LMAO

Getting shut out again

Keep batting Aaron Judge 3rd

Coulda got Sonny Gray PLUS for this big stiff

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like I said

He sucked than

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO

Lemme guess, Snoogins thinks it should be Sale, than Altuve, than Kluber, than Betts
The resident Red Sox fans put Judge below Rameriz and Lindor, and put Betts 6th. The resident Fraudkee fans put Judge second (relunctantly) and don't have Betts in the top 6.

Me personally, I don't consider pitchers for the MVP. They have their own MVP award. It's called the CY Young Award. Since hitters can't win the CY (at least not until Otani gets here) then pitchers should not be able to win the MVP. So I would say Altuve is the winner, mainly because he was a threat for all 162 games whereas Judge disappeared for about 35% of the season.

But I will say this for Judge. He is the absolute poster boy for this era's all or nothing type baseball player. I don't know which MVP struck out the most times in a season (probably Kris Bryant?), but that record will soon be held by Judge. Not this year, but soon.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The resident Red Sox fans put Judge below Rameriz and Lindor, and put Betts 6th. The resident Fraudkee fans put Judge second (relunctantly) and don't have Betts in the top 6.

Me personally, I don't consider pitchers for the MVP. They have their own MVP award. It's called the CY Young Award. Since hitters can't win the CY (at least not until Otani gets here) then pitchers should not be able to win the MVP. So I would say Altuve is the winner, mainly because he was a threat for all 162 games whereas Judge disappeared for about 35% of the season.

But I will say this for Judge. He is the absolute poster boy for this era's all or nothing type baseball player. I don't know which MVP struck out the most times in a season (probably Kris Bryant?), but that record will soon be held by Judge. Not this year, but soon.
The MVP is not the hitter's equivalent to the Cy Young. That's the Hank Aaron Award.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd agree if he didn't draw his walks

Having the highest or 2nd highest? OBP, certainly minimizes the importance of the strikeouts

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me personally, I don't consider pitcher's for the MVP. They have their own MVP award. It's called the CY Young Award. Since hitter's can't win the CY (at least not until Otani gets here) then pitcher's should not be able to win the MVP. So I would say Altuve is the winner, mainly because he was a threat for all 162 games whereas Judge disappeared for about 35% of the season.

The 'P' in 'MVP' stands for player, not position player.

That's a pretty good point on Altuve though. Altuve's worst OPS in a month was .865 in August. Judge had a .847 OPS in July and .680 OPS in August.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe most strikeouts for an MVP is actually Trout in 2014.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge strikes out, but he has a .418 OBP is the 2nd best in the AL. The strikeouts might be an issue in the future in regards to ability to make contact, but we've seen hitters cut down. Kris Bryant struck out over 30% of the time in 2015 and now his strikeout rate is below the league average.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MVP is not the hitter's equivalent to the Cy Young. That's the Hank Aaron Award.
Opinion and again, an opinion I do not share. There is little to no media-recognized prestige for the Hank Aaron Award when compared to the CY Young. In fact, it has less prestige that the Rolaids Relief Man of the year. CY Young should be for starting pitchers only. The Rolaids Relief Man of the year should have its named changed and the prestige of the award should be promoted and elevated by MLB. The MVP should be for position players only.

But I am not surprised that a Red Sox fan is arguing with me about this seeing how Chris Sale is the only true candidate they have for the MVP.

One of these years a rookie relief pitcher is going to have a dominate season and win the CY, the MVP, the ROY, and the RRPOTY. Maybe then MLB will open its eyes and recognize the needs for an awards qualification re-boot.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think Judge should be AL MVP but to me he should be a unaminous choice for rookie of the year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinion and again, an opinion I do not share. There is little to no media-recognized prestige for the Hank Aaron Award when compared to the CY Young. In fact, it has less prestige that the Rolaids Relief Man of the year. CY Young should be for starting pitchers only. The Rolaids Relief Man of the year should have its named changed and the prestige of the award should be promoted and elevated by MLB. The MVP should be for position players only.

But I am not surprised that a Red Sox fan is arguing with me about this seeing how Chris Sale is the only true candidate they have for the MVP.

One of these years a rookie relief pitcher is going to have a dominate season and win the CY, the MVP, the ROY, and the RRPOTY. Maybe then MLB will open its eyes and recognize the needs for an awards qualification re-boot.

too bad he said his top 3 was Altuve/Kluber/Judge.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My take in any league has always been MVP should NOT be best player but most valuable to his team

(Kinda why Lebron should be the MVP every season)

Although Im not a huge fan of pitchers winning it, i think there could be those exceptional seasons......Like Sale this season, where is that team without him this season? Certainly not in first place, and I doubt very much with the state of the rest of that staff, in the postseason at all.....I think he is pretty worthy this season based on the value he holds to the Sox this season

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree if he didn't draw his walks

Having the highest or 2nd highest? OBP, certainly minimizes the importance of the strikeouts
Walks have far less true value to a power hitter than they do to a guy like Altuve who is a much bigger threat to manufacture a run. Walks can actually neutralize a power hitter's threat. Especially lefty power hitters. It shows he has patience at the plate, but, meh. So what. Who would you rather have on first base. Judge or Altuve?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I don't really care how the media portrays an award. The Hank Aaron Award is for the best hitter, the Cy Young Award is for the best pitcher, the MVP is for the Most Valuable Player.

Fact, not opinion.

The Rolaids Relief award hasn't been given out in 5 years. Of course you didn't know that.

Has nothing to do with being a Red Sox fan. I already said my top 3 in MVP would be Altuve, Kluber, and Judge. Last I checked none of those were on the Red Sox.