• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

75 meg internet speed enough?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pulling the cable "plug" with Verizon and going all streaming.

That said I'm wondering if 75 meg upload/download speed is enough.

Often times there will be 2 or 3 50 inch TV's streaming at once. I have a home office too with 3 work stations & server. I don't host my own mail exchange anymore I switched to Microsoft 365.

And for the record, none of the TV's are 4k but I would like to factor in if I did get 4k TV's how would the 75meg hold up.

Thanks for any advice you could give.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should have more than enough. You would probably be fine with half that much bandwidth.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Often times there will be 2 or 3 50 inch TV's streaming at once. I have a home office too with 3 work stations & server. I don't host my own mail exchange anymore I switched to Microsoft 365.

And for the record, none of the TV's are 4k but I would like to factor in if I did get 4k TV's how would the 75meg hold up.

Yes. That will be plenty to stream a house full of netflix or anything else. I was running 50/50 at my last house and never once saw a buffer.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Way more than enough, but it's a lot more about the stability of the service than the rated top speed. Streaming is prone to buffering when your latency climbs so if you have any problems I wouldn't suspect overall bandwidth, but the general performance of the network your ISP is on.

A high quality 20/20 will probably be more stable than a so so 75/20.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the feedback.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm headed down this road soon as well...I have 75/20...we just added a 4k TV, and the sales guys said the same thing I'm seeing here...a good 75/20 should be fine.

If you don't mind, check back in and let us know how it's going...fwiw is one streaming content (netflix, etc) any better than another?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about TV's but I usually stream 3 games at once on Saturday to my PC's with just 10M download with no problem. The VGA stutters a lot compared to the DVI and HDMI machines, so that is one thing I need to upgrade on that machine. And that is with 3 other PCs doing internet stuff also, so 6 total.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One stream of HD content from Netflix requires ~ 5Mbps
One stream of UHD content requires ~ 25Mbps

Youtube maxes out at ~ 5.2Mbps for a 4k video.

IP TV (Sling/Vue/etc) maxes out at ~10Mbps and ~5Mbps for additional streams.

TWC only offers 50Mbps/5Mbps (I tend to get 60/6) around here and it's more than plenty. 75/75 is outstanding.
On of these days I hope we get fiber ... then I'll probably run my own Plex pool and charge $5/month.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm headed down this road soon as well...I have 75/20...we just added a 4k TV, and the sales guys said the same thing I'm seeing here...a good 75/20 should be fine.

If you don't mind, check back in and let us know how it's going...fwiw is one streaming content (netflix, etc) any better than another?

Do yourself a favor and do a dry run for a week or 2. Unplug the cable box and just see what life would be like.
Even if you have to spend a couple of bucks. It would be worth it.

I'm going through a bit of culture shock after having cable for 20 years.

Note: I'm still in the learning stage but,

• The HD antenna is a must. Great for live local broadcast and the big networks. It's a life saver if Sling or some other app goes down like it did for me. I'm in NYC and the HD quality was as good as it gets BUT, the signal will come in and out with rain clouds over hear or nearby.

• Not sure if I should buy the separate channels through Sling. Say i get HBO add on through Sling and Sling is down, do I lose HBO too? The issue is lots of these separate apps have horrible reviews ..like the HBO one.

• Sound can be another issue. I have bose surround sound, right now anything that comes from the antenna uses the TV speakers. So i have to figure out how to get the audio out to the bose system

This change has not been easy so far.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do yourself a favor and do a dry run for a week or 2. Unplug the cable box and just see what life would be like.
Even if you have to spend a couple of bucks. It would be worth it.

I'm going through a bit of culture shock after having cable for 20 years.

Note: I'm still in the learning stage but,

• The HD antenna is a must. Great for live local broadcast and the big networks. It's a life saver if Sling or some other app goes down like it did for me. I'm in NYC and the HD quality was as good as it gets BUT, the signal will come in and out with rain clouds over hear or nearby.

• Not sure if I should buy the separate channels through Sling. Say i get HBO add on through Sling and Sling is down, do I lose HBO too? The issue is lots of these separate apps have horrible reviews ..like the HBO one.

• Sound can be another issue. I have bose surround sound, right now anything that comes from the antenna uses the TV speakers. So i have to figure out how to get the audio out to the bose system

This change has not been easy so far.

The mental part I've been gearing up for but I might need to do that (disconnect cable box) for the wife...our biggest thing is we watch the same stuff, mine is somewhat different from hers outside of the network news and all off it is available vis stream...I watch ESPN. HGTV, which I've starting streaming some just to see how that is...this weekend I streamed HBO, and the Steeler/Jets game for the 1st time...different but enjoyed it much the same as TV.

Will look into a the HD antenna.

Thanks!

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO Cord cutting is not the savings nor answer people make it out to be if you're the type of person who DVRs many shows on many different channels for the whole family.

When looking at larger IPTV packages you are looking at about the same price tag as if you were to combo internet + tv from the local cable company. And you're getting all your tv without cutting into your bandwidth.

TV providers have to pay a premium for each and every channel they provide, this will always prevent IPTV from undercutting tv providers by any significant margin.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mental part I've been gearing up for but I might need to do that (disconnect cable box) for the wife...our biggest thing is we watch the same stuff, mine is somewhat different from hers outside of the network news and all off it is available vis stream...I watch ESPN. HGTV, which I've starting streaming some just to see how that is...this weekend I streamed HBO, and the Steeler/Jets game for the 1st time...different but enjoyed it much the same as TV.

Will look into a the HD antenna.

Thanks!

So how did you stream the game? I'm on Dish. The main reason I haven't pulled the cord is for Sports. Pac 12 network, NFL network, my local stations. The other reason I haven't is because the easy for my kids to watch shows. It would be difficult for them to go through Kodi and try to find what they want to watch. Dish just makes it easier.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how did you stream the game? I'm on Dish. The main reason I haven't pulled the cord is for Sports. Pac 12 network, NFL network, my local stations. The other reason I haven't is because the easy for my kids to watch shows. It would be difficult for them to go through Kodi and try to find what they want to watch. Dish just makes it easier.
We're with comcast cable right now.

I haven't pull the plug yet either, and we're not a 100% sure we will, but the thought to do so has gotten stronger the last few months. I've started to stream a few programs to get myself ready so to speak.

We bought a new TV recently that is wifi ready and has the android OS so we don't need another device (roku, etc) to stream. It's has most of the apps preloaded so I've been using that TV mostly to kind fart around and get acclimated.

You're right...if you've been doing something one way for many years especially something as routine as watching TV, it will certainly be easier than streaming. One reason we're considering it is we don't watch a really wide variety of channels and most of the ones we do watch including CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC are starting to offer their content via stream.

NFL...I used Digitaldirectv (marketed under NFLHDTV.com)...$19.99 for 3 mos which should take me through the end of the season.

Last week was my 1st week and I just watched on the computer.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am paying for 75/6 it clocks out at 90ish/6. I stream 2 Kodi boxes and my kid plays Xbox and my other kid usually has a tablet going with no problems.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get everything for 14.99 a month but it's a Kodi add on you have to pay for with Bitcoin and a real pain in the ass. but I get everything.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get everything for 14.99 a month but it's a Kodi add on you have to pay for with Bitcoin and a real pain in the ass. but I get everything.

I've seen Kodi in action...I think it's over my head to get the programming to get everything...my BIL has one of the pre-programmed "street" firesticks and gets everything for free, no monthly. I really like the free part but after watching a few movies, sports on his, it's not as clear as netflix...but everything for free is enticing.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the Raiders game in 1080P. Dude at work cut the cord and helped me set it up, but it was a royal pain in the ass.. 100 bucks for the year, but the guy only sells the subscription like that in November. I couldn't even to begin to explain how to do it, but I can get everything in HD pay per views etc.