• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7 rd mock draft from Bleached report today

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I view it as do you really think McCaffrey is a good blocker? Because you are wanting to put him into that WR 3 spot and if you haven't watched him try to block it isn't the prettiest part of his game that is for sure. Engram isn't a great blocker either but I would say he has a better chance when we go those 3-wide type looks (he will play a more move/slot TE role for us) to have success if asked to block. I also like his upside in the red zone to be a more impact guy than McCaffrey.

I would also say that with my mock you have improved the run game by adding an OL known as a very good run blocker. Cam Robinson is the better power blocker of the two so either one would be fine by me to fill in that LT spot. So you have maybe upgraded our biggest weakness on the team with that 1st round pick and still added a playmaker in with Curtis Samuel (very much in the same mold as McCaffrey) or Engram to really attack the middle of the field in some different ways. McCaffrey is going to take our 1st round pick to get him. So how is that improving our run game? You are not going to find as good of a run blocker as Lamp or Robinson in the 2nd round.

Yeah I'm hoping we bat a 1000 as well. Really to me if you improve one you've improved the other. A middle of the field 3rd option in the pass game makes teams have to respect parts of the field they didn't before. If we improve the run game well it opens up plenty in the passing game as teams have to worry about our run game. I guess to me I just like a couple of the OT's in this class more than some. I know they have flaws but I'm willing to take a chance with our coaching staff in place that they can train the player up to have success.
Wow. First off, the topic was a " wr 3 ". That can be filled by Wr, Te or Rb . We weren't talking about run game threat. I do think however Mac is much better as a runner and more effective between tackles than you give him credit for . He also wasn't called upon to block much anyway being he was used all over and not real fair to judge that aspect of his game yet anyway. Can't say I saw much of his downfield blkg as wr or heard one way or the other, if he sucked or not. As far as your last paragraph on the run game opens up the pass game.....Would love to see our posts with each other last season /post season regarding this topic. Quite different is understatement. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. First off, the topic was a " wr 3 ". That can be filled by Wr, Te or Rb . We weren't talking about run game threat. I do think however Mac is much better as a runner and more effective between tackles than you give him credit for . He also wasn't called upon to block much anyway being he was used all over and not real fair to judge that aspect of his game yet anyway. Can't say I saw much of his downfield blkg as wr or heard one way or the other, if he sucked or not. As far as your last paragraph on the run game opens up the pass game.....Would love to see our posts with each other last season /post season regarding this topic. Quite different is understatement. :)

Few things here...

1) I know that we are talking WR3 and they could be any of those positions. We are talking run game threat though in the fact that we are looking at the overall game of players. For McCaffrey one of the biggest weaknesses to his game is his pass and run blocking. Not saying Engram is much better but he offers a bit more size to help out.

2) I like McCaffrey. That isn't the issue to me. What I am talking about though is working to maximize our picks. There are some starting caliber OT's in round 1 in my opinion. After round 1 and maybe the beginning part of round 2 though that quality takes a nose dive. Beyond the top-4 guys you have quite a few 1-2 year projects at best for the Tackle position.

On the other hand there are a decent number of guys that have played the RB/WR/PR role for teams and done it at a high level. You can get a guy like Curtis Samuel round 2 that has a very similar game to that of McCaffrey. You can get a guy like Switzer in the 3rd round or maybe even 4th round that was a 2-time All American as a punt returner and showed as one of the better slot WR's in college football this past season. Kamara is another that teams are very high on his upside as a RB and receiver.

That is my entire point. I like McCaffrey I just see opportunities to find similar skill sets later in the draft. So use that 1st round pick on another position where you can get a starter that doesn't have a similar talented ability later on in the draft.

3) AS for our conversations last year. I remember them quite well. I said that a team can have a good run game without needing to have a good pass game. I never said it didn't help though. Yes of course when a team has to back off a safety to help out in the pass game it opens a bit more up for the run game. Plenty of teams though have had elite run games with terrible pass games. Do we really need to have me bring up all the stats again on this?