• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6/10/17 Twinks @ Gints

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say - better than the odds of the team seeing over 100 pitches in the game. Then I noticed that the team actually saw 137 pitches today! That was more than the Twins (by 6 pitches). Too bad it didn't count for much.

Thank Evans for the great job that he did in preparation for this season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are 19-8 in games they score at least four runs and 6-31 in games they score three or fewer.

#weaklink
Read another way...

The Giants have scored at least 4 runs only 27 tines and been held to 3 or fewer 37 times.

Reactions: LHG

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are 19-8 in games they score at least four runs and 6-31 in games they score three or fewer.

#weaklink

Blame it on the pitching for not shutting down the opponent. Offense is optional, while offensive offense is a requirement, especially at AT&T.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank Evans for the great job that he did in preparation for this season.
Every player except Posey is having a down year. How, exactly, is that Bobby Evans' fault?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame it on the pitching for not shutting down the opponent. Offense is optional, while offensive offense is a requirement, especially at AT&T.
The pitching shouldn't shoulder much of the blame. They rank in the MLB in the following - WHIP (16th), ERA (14th), ERA+ (14th), FIP (7th), LOB (5th-which could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it), k/9 (12th) and K/BB (9th). Not great but, in most categories, better than MLB average.
I won't get into where the offense ranks in major categories because I don't want to drive anyone into a spiral of depression.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player except Posey is having a down year. How, exactly, is that Bobby Evans' fault?

The OF coming into this season was rated as one of the worst in MLB. He had to know that there was a good chance for serious issues with lack of production. It's not all on him, but he definitely shares in the blame.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching shouldn't shoulder much of the blame. They rank in the MLB in the following - WHIP (16th), ERA (14th), ERA+ (14th), FIP (7th), LOB (5th-which could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it), k/9 (12th) and K/BB (9th). Not great but, in most categories, better than MLB average.
I won't get into where the offense ranks in major categories because I don't want to drive anyone into a spiral of depression.

True, the pitching has held its own. With the offense letting the team down, though, the pressure is on the pitching to shut down the opponent.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posey's batting average is excellent, as is his defense. His productivity has been awful, especially for a leader on the team. He's just not driving in runs, and there have been runs to be had.

Today, he came up with 1st and 3rd and no outs, and grounded out. It got the run home, but a hit would have been better. And we are still looking for the elusive EWS. Even if Posey singles there, it is still 1st and 3rd and no outs, which is a better situation for Crawford.

And in reference to your question, it may not be completely Bobby Evans, but if EVERY hitter except Posey is having a down year, who's fault is that?!?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OF coming into this season was rated as one of the worst in MLB. He had to know that there was a good chance for serious issues with lack of production. It's not all on him, but he definitely shares in the blame.
They had Pence in right, who, while trending badly and having trouble staying on the field, SHOULD still be at worst an average MLB starting OF.

Span, while defensively slightly challenged (I don't believe the metrics that say he is the worst defender in the bigs), is now 2 years removed from hip surgery, and was expected to have a bit of a bounce back. When he has played, I think he has shown that that was not a bad expectation.

In LF, they had 2 MLB-ready home products. One got hurt at the end of ST, the other pretty much fell on his face, but still shattered his shoulder going all out to catch a ball at the wall. Every backup plan the team had either got hurt or fell flat (Morse, Upton, Stubbs, Ruggiano, Hernandez...). LF has been a disaster. But I think there were enough options in house and they really need to rely on the farm at some point as well.

I am not nominating Evans for Exec of the year, don't get me wrong. But I agreed with most of his moves at the time and the fact that they have failed was more dumb luck then actual bad decision making.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had Pence in right, who, while trending badly and having trouble staying on the field, SHOULD still be at worst an average MLB starting OF.

Span, while defensively slightly challenged (I don't believe the metrics that say he is the worst defender in the bigs), is now 2 years removed from hip surgery, and was expected to have a bit of a bounce back. When he has played, I think he has shown that that was not a bad expectation.

In LF, they had 2 MLB-ready home products. One got hurt at the end of ST, the other pretty much fell on his face, but still shattered his shoulder going all out to catch a ball at the wall. Every backup plan the team had either got hurt or fell flat (Morse, Upton, Stubbs, Ruggiano, Hernandez...). LF has been a disaster. But I think there were enough options in house and they really need to rely on the farm at some point as well.

I am not nominating Evans for Exec of the year, don't get me wrong. But I agreed with most of his moves at the time and the fact that they have failed was more dumb luck then actual bad decision making.

We all want to blame someone, like Evans or Bam Bam, but sometimes shit happens. You have lucky years like 2010 and unlucky ones like now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, there really wasn't much out there available in the OF.

Josh Reddick, Cespedes, Beltran, Steve Pearce, Adam Eaton, Matt Holliday, Ian Desmond, Carlos Gomez, Rajai Davis, Jarrod Dyson, Seth Smith, Mallex Smith, Mark Trumbo, and Brandon Moss were all the major names to move this offseason in the OF (can't evenreally consider some OFers though). Not a big crop to choose from.

In hindsight, Reddick wouldn't have been bad, but he signed quickly with Houston to a pretty sizeable offer. Unlikely the Giants would have pounced on that while still searching for a closer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a revenge game for him.....
Meh. He spent about an hour and a half with the Giants.

Calling him a "Former Giants Prospect" is journalistic malpractice (fake news?).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He spent about an hour and a half with the Giants.

Calling him a "Former Giants Prospect" is journalistic malpractice (fake news?).
That makes two "former prospects" getting their chance. The other, Fabio Castillo, got his contract purchased by the Dodgers and then optioned immediately back to AAA.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AR-160129942.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667