• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #5 USC @ Cal Right now on ABC

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? :L

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's because the media has rammed his name and image down our throats for the last 11 months or so? If they are going to hype him up as the next great 1st overall can't miss NFL QB you are damned right we as fans can and should 'fixate' on his performances and give commentary.

The injuries explain a lot about how flat the team looks. But, a heisman candidate and overall first pick type of QB should be able to play with less than their top weapons and at least not shoot themselves in the feet. Not winning a game such as that doesn't necessarily have to be on him, but 16/24 for 157 in the first half with 1 Int and 1 TD are not what should be expected. And beyond that, he has entirely failed the eye test.

Now he does have this second half to overcome that and make it just a sluggish start rather than a shit game. Clock is ticking though.
The media does that every year tho. From the perspective of someone who follows SC. Ronald Jones has been the one making the biggest impact on SC's offense so far. Carr looked really good again at times. And Mal and Ware did a decent job filling in. But Jones worked hard this off season. He breaks a lot of those tackles and extends the play.

I did like the way SC's defense stepped up. Gustin is a big piece missing. The predator position he plays is a major part of the defensive scheme. And he's their best pass rusher. A lot of players still missing or playing injured. Gotta give Cal credit too. They've improved quite a bit. Aside from some costly mistakes they played a solid game.Wazzu on a short week with injuries in Pullman is going to be rough. Now go beat Colorado

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal has a solid team. You can see the difference Wilcox has made. USC just has more dudes.

Still ... Looks like I gotta stock up on the Tums this season. Last week's game (Texas) pretty much depleted my ongoing supply. :rolleyes2:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy Carr is quick though
He's looked great so far. Between the speed and the moves. When he's in space he's a break away threat every time. It's going to be interesting to see him develope as a player. He looks like the real deal.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injuries explain a lot about how flat the team looks. But, a heisman candidate and overall first pick type of QB should be able to play with less than their top weapons and at least not shoot themselves in the feet. Not winning a game such as that doesn't necessarily have to be on him, but 16/24 for 157 in the first half with 1 Int and 1 TD are not what should be expected. And beyond that, he has entirely failed the eye test.

He can only throw the ball to the receivers, he can't catch it for them. Dropped balls have been the biggest issue and have led to 3 or 4 of the picks he's thrown.

I will say though, that he has also made some questionable decisions this year. Some of the balls that have been knocked down, could have been intercepted and a couple that were, have been him trying to force the issue. He could get away with that last year when he had Juju and Darreus Rodgers. He doesn't have those guys just yet this year.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can only throw the ball to the receivers, he can't catch it for them. Dropped balls have been the biggest issue and have led to 3 or 4 of the picks he's thrown.

I will say though, that he has also made some questionable decisions this year. Some of the balls that have been knocked down, could have been intercepted and a couple that were, have been him trying to force the issue. He could get away with that last year when he had Juju and Darreus Rodgers. He doesn't have those guys just yet this year.
Darnold is broke and lives in the armpit of America

That's how you do it right?

Seriously if they get Bebe back and Pittman, Vaughns or one of the other young receivers step up. I think their offense opens up.Hoping Rojo isn't out long haven't read any updates yet

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, let $C play like that next Friday

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You and the devil are speaking about overall play. I was specifically talking about the first half of this game only. He wasn't good in the first half, but bounced back and made much better decisions and played much better in the second.

I just call things as I see them and this was the first full game of theirs I have watched this year. I was home for a change.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's looked great so far. Between the speed and the moves. When he's in space he's a break away threat every time. It's going to be interesting to see him develope as a player. He looks like the real deal.
He does. And in Combination with Johnson that's a pretty good running back duo. Best they've had since Bush/White. The line has got to get better though.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does. And in Combination with Johnson that's a pretty good running back duo. Best they've had since Bush/White. The line has got to get better though.
They are a great combo.

Hopefully SC can at least get Jones and Mitchell back by next week.Gustin would be huge for the defense.But I would be surprised to see him suit up.Definitely not liking this no bye week

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will also say we are about an hour and a half from finding out how UW deals with a lot of the same issues.

They lost their power back (Coleman, the other backs are all smaller/speed backs. He's the only big power back), Baccellia who is probably their #3 receiver, Sample who is one of their key TE's, and the real killer, Byron Murphy who is one of their stud young corners. All lost this week late so they haven't had time to really game plan their backups with the 1's like you would want.

If this program is really ready to be in the week to week discussion about being a top 10 power team threatening to reach the playoffs they must step up and play with who they have and find a way to win.

USC has managed to do that to this point, but we all know their killer depth. The close game last week didn't drop them in the polls and I doubt they will fall this week. Still, none of you will deny they aren't exactly firing full speed in the manner in which they were over the second half of last year.... Yet. Now's the time for a team to try and take them down before they do reach their stride. I have a feeling it will be a very different story toward the end of the year.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media does that every year tho. From the perspective of someone who follows SC. Ronald Jones has been the one making the biggest impact on SC's offense so far. Carr looked really good again at times. And Mal and Ware did a decent job filling in. But Jones worked hard this off season. He breaks a lot of those tackles and extends the play.

I did like the way SC's defense stepped up. Gustin is a big piece missing. The predator position he plays is a major part of the defensive scheme. And he's their best pass rusher. A lot of players still missing or playing injured. Gotta give Cal credit too. They've improved quite a bit. Aside from some costly mistakes they played a solid game.Wazzu on a short week with injuries in Pullman is going to be rough. Now go beat Colorado
Gustin is a stud. Impressed the hell out of me last week, playing with a screw coming out of his foot/toe. Dude is gonna be beast