• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.5.17 Cain @ Arroyo

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way for us to know where the cracks are on this team because they exist off the field. There is addition by subtraction somewhere on this roster, we just have no way of knowing who that player is.

Um....yeah...don't know about you but I see a shit ton of cracks ON the field LOL

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, there were not that many hard hit balls for the Reds today, they got pretty lucky at finding holes. There were also a couple of plays where Crawford would have possibly made the difference, Nunez really just doesn't cut it at SS.

The Giants on the other hand just didn't hit the ball hard very much period. Except for Arroyo, he had some great AB's tonight.

I still think this team can turn it around. When Craw comes back, and if there's any way they can find some sort of stability in LF, I think they'll be alright.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way for us to know where the cracks are on this team because they exist off the field. There is addition by subtraction somewhere on this roster, we just have no way of knowing who that player is.

I don't really know about that, like you've said this team has been together for a long time I don't really think there would be in-fighting. I think it's more that they're just losing so these things seem like an issue.

Sure, I guess you could say maybe they're missing some of the high character guys like Affeldt, Lopez, Romo, Hudson, Peavy, Blanco, Pagan etc... but I don't think that it should have this major effect. Losing just bums them out like it bums us out. They win a few games, it'll seem like the same old group.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain is probably not going to help. Crawford will need to be big. Arroyo too. Moore has to figure shit out. Melancon has to settle down.

Obviously they might get a LF at the deadline if they add, and a lefty reliever
What will a LFer cost? Beede?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know about that, like you've said this team has been together for a long time I don't really think there would be in-fighting. I think it's more that they're just losing so these things seem like an issue.

Sure, I guess you could say maybe they're missing some of the high character guys like Affeldt, Lopez, Romo, Hudson, Peavy, Blanco, Pagan etc... but I don't think that it should have this major effect. Losing just bums them out like it bums us out. They win a few games, it'll seem like the same old group.
This funk has lasted north of 100 games. At what point does it stop being a funk that they will just snap out of?

This team fields one of the best infields in the game, and I still would only take a small handful of rotations over ours. This team should be AT WORST a .500 team (or there abouts). The fact that they have been performing at this level for such a prolonged period PROVES that there is something fundamentally wrong with the psyche of this team. I have no idea what that is. But there is SOMETHING broken here. Is it Boch? Is it Sir Bam Bam? Is it the loss of Kelly of Flan? Is it the loss of Affeldt or Timmeh? We may hear the story at some point in the next 20 years, but right now, we will be left in the dark.

But I am 100% convinced that there is SOMETHING.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, there were not that many hard hit balls for the Reds today, they got pretty lucky at finding holes. There were also a couple of plays where Crawford would have possibly made the difference, Nunez really just doesn't cut it at SS.

The Giants on the other hand just didn't hit the ball hard very much period. Except for Arroyo, he had some great AB's tonight.

I still think this team can turn it around. When Craw comes back, and if there's any way they can find some sort of stability in LF, I think they'll be alright.

At this point, why not put Arroyo at SS and Nunez back at 3B? I mean, Arroyo is a SS by trade, and Nunez has been mostly a 3B in his career.

Although Cainer didn't give up six home runs, he gave up a ton of walks and hits. He's gotta do better. And if the umpire has a small strike zone (Cain could have been wild), then the Giants hitters need to be more patient.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This funk has lasted north of 100 games. At what point does it stop being a funk that they will just snap out of?

This team fields one of the best infields in the game, and I still would only take a small handful of rotations over ours. This team should be AT WORST a .500 team (or there abouts). The fact that they have been performing at this level for such a prolonged period PROVES that there is something fundamentally wrong with the psyche of this team. I have no idea what that is. But there is SOMETHING broken here. Is it Boch? Is it Sir Bam Bam? Is it the loss of Kelly of Flan? Is it the loss of Affeldt or Timmeh? We may hear the story at some point in the next 20 years, but right now, we will be left in the dark.

But I am 100% convinced that there is SOMETHING.

I'm not saying there bound to snap out of a funk or anything, I'm just pointing out that losing breeds this type of talk, and winning brushes it away, and the fact that we've been losing for awhile now has really exaggerated it, IMO.

They do look really flat, but losing wears on them, especially when expectations are high.

--

OTOH, it is possibly worth it to think that maybe the Giants were targeting a lot of veterans this summer because the coaches asked for some more leadership to fills some voids left. IDK, none of us will.

I do know that if (IF) this team sweeps someone, they will look like the old group again.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, why not put Arroyo at SS and Nunez back at 3B? I mean, Arroyo is a SS by trade, and Nunez has been mostly a 3B in his career.

Although Cainer didn't give up six home runs, he gave up a ton of walks and hits. He's gotta do better. And if the umpire has a small strike zone (Cain could have been wild), then the Giants hitters need to be more patient.

Nunez is bad everywhere frankly, and the Giants are thinking long term with Arroyo. It will be really nice to see Craw back.

As for Cain, yes I wasn't excusing his outing. He was missing his spots the entire game. How TF do you walk Billy Hamilton twice? If anything the strikezone was big, all of the Giants pitchers were just all over the place. Just saying that it was a couple bad hit balls going for outs instead of hits for a 8-3 loss instead of a 13-3 loss.

Arroyo was pounding the strikezone and our hitters (outside of Arroyo) couldn't handle his junk. That's an issue.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Bum went down he had 0 wins. I really didn't think that would last, but we'll never know. They just need to string together some good SP performances, which is not that far fetched seeing as how Moore and Sammy and Cain have some very good outings this year. The variance in the quality of their performances tho is what is very AGGRAVATING. So good to so very bad.