• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The clarifying statement that I read (for what it's worth this time of year when news is slow...) is that the Flyers want to get Pacioretty but the Habs want to move Galchenyuk.

Unless it's a sign and trade situation where Pacioretty signs an extension and is then traded to us, I see zero reason for us to even be tossing that idea around.

Yes, we want to get back to the playoffs pretty desperately, but not to the point of potentially renting a goal scorer for two lousy seasons.

That goes against everything Hexy has been doing for awhile now.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless it's a sign and trade situation where Pacioretty signs an extension and is then traded to us, I see zero reason for us to even be tossing that idea around.

Yes, we want to get back to the playoffs pretty desperately, but not to the point of potentially renting a goal scorer for two lousy seasons.

That goes against everything Hexy has been doing for awhile now.

I said in a previous post that it's possible that Comcast's desire for playoff profits might be playing into this. Or, it's just fake news.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said in a previous post that it's possible that Comcast's desire for playoff profits might be playing into this. Or, it's just fake news.

I'll call it fake news then and hope it's not the former.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope its real news. Lets go Hexy pull the trigger.

Question though for those of you who feel this way:

Let's assume we trade Sanheim and a 4th round pick for Pacioretty today. I'm not discrediting him as he's like Simmonds, except arguably a little bigger and better. If we make the playoffs in each of the next two seasons with him, but don't win a Cup and then he walks, was the trade worthwhile for us?

I say absolutely not, but maybe that's just me.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question though for those of you who feel this way.

Let's say we trade Sanheim and a 5th round pick for Pacioretty today. If we make the playoffs in each of the next two seasons, but don't win a Cup and then he walks, was the trade worthwhile for us?

I say absolutely not, but maybe that's just me.
For everyone who feels we should hold on to Sanheim and the pick and not trade him for Pacioretty. Lets say we dont win the cup in 4-8 years was keeping the faith worth it?

I say absolutely do it.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone who feels we should hold on to Sanheim and the pick and not trade him for Pacioretty. Lets say we dont win the cup in 4-8 years was keeping the faith worth it?

I say absolutely do it.

These types of trades will definitely be made at some point to consolidate our assets and go for the Cup, but now is not that time.

Sanheim could in a way be a bigger, faster, better version of Ghost. We're willing to trade that potential for two seasons of one really good player?

I would at the very least see what cards we've been dealt first, then discard or trade-in the ones we don't want.

I like our team, but not enough to be a true contender now with Pacioretty, so the trade hurts us long term by definition and doesn't help us enough right now.

To answer your question, if we play our cards right, I see us right on track to win Cup(s) in the range of 4-8 years from now. That's if we don't throw away assets too early via trades like this.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's asset management to me. Getting Pacioretty for Sanheim is about the pinnacle of what I think Sanheim can/will be worth. If he progresses. You get to move him now and eliminate risk to basically get what he would be worth if he panned out.

Sure the timing isn't perfect, but Pacioretty is worth more than Sanheim (possibly even at his peak) to me. So I do the deal. Pacioretty can't sign a new contract until next summer, so you play out this year and see where you stand. If it goes great, and you think next season could be a "run at the cup" type of year, you can either re-sign him longer term, or play out the year with him. If it doesn't go great and it's not a "run at the cup year" you can re-sign him on the hopes that it will be soon, or you can trade him for different assets.

IMO Ghost and Sanheim are redundant. I don't think you're managing your roster/cap properly if you have both of them on it long term. So one of them is the right guy to move IMO.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These types of trades will definitely be made at some point to consolidate our assets and go for the Cup, but now is not that time.

Sanheim could in a way be a bigger, faster, better version of Ghost. We're willing to trade that potential for two seasons of one really good player?

I would at the very least see what cards we've been dealt first, then discard or trade-in the ones we don't want.

I like our team, but not enough to be a true contender now with Pacioretty, so the trade hurts us long term by definition and doesn't help us enough right now.
You say it like its true we will not win a cup if we made that trade and we will win one if we don't. I think we could win a cup with Pacioretty up front for us as early as year two of his stint with us and who's to say we wont resign him. You're making like he is definitely gone after year two.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's asset management to me. Getting Pacioretty for Sanheim is about the pinnacle of what I think Sanheim can/will be worth. If he progresses. You get to move him now and eliminate risk to basically get what he would be worth if he panned out.

Sure the timing isn't perfect, but Pacioretty is worth more than Sanheim (possibly even at his peak) to me. So I do the deal. Pacioretty can't sign a new contract until next summer, so you play out this year and see where you stand. If it goes great, and you think next season could be a "run at the cup" type of year, you can either re-sign him longer term, or play out the year with him. If it doesn't go great and it's not a "run at the cup year" you can re-sign him on the hopes that it will be soon, or you can trade him for different assets.

IMO Ghost and Sanheim are redundant. I don't think you're managing your roster/cap properly if you have both of them on it long term. So one of them is the right guy to move IMO.

Well, I hear you, but Pacioretty isn't obligated to re-sign with us at any time. He is scheduled to be an UFA after just two more seasons. That and who knows how much he'll want with an extension. Probably huge dollars though and he'll be turning 31 at the start of that new contract.

I want to know whether we like Ghost or Sanheim more at the Nhl level before we consider making a move like this.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say it like its true we will not win a cup if we made that trade and we will win one if we don't. I think we could win a cup with Pacioretty up front for us as early as year two of his stint with us and who's to say we wont resign him. You're making like he is definitely gone after year two.

He's not definitely gone, but he's not definitely staying either and if he is, at what price?

I don't think we can win a Cup in his second year either or I would possibly feel differently.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hear you, but Pacioretty isn't obligated to re-sign with us at any time. He is scheduled to be an UFA after just two more seasons. That and who knows how much he'll want with an extension. Probably huge dollars though and he'll be turning 31 at the start of that new contract.

I want to know whether we like Ghost or Sanheim more at the Nhl level before we consider making a move like this.

That would certainly be nice, but if that comes at the cost of getting Maroon instead of Pacioretty because Bergevin wisens up while you wait...

I'm not saying the Flyers should be looking for a trade like this right now. I'm just saying Pacioretty for Sanheim and a 3rd is very lopsided in the Flyers direction. Pacioretty had the 5th most points for a LW this year without having a real 1C to play with. And his contract is arguably one of the best in the NHL. Getting that for a guy that's played 0 NHL games is a no brainer to me.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could very easily make the argument that Pacioretty was better than Ovechkin last year. 2 more goals, 4 less assists, and significantly more of his production was at even strength. He's one of the best LWs in the game and LW is a hole for the Flyers. Goal scoring is a hole for the Flyers. And Sanheim is a prospect. I do THIS deal every time. If it's someone not as talented or as valuable as Pacioretty, I'm on board with the waiting game. But this particular deal is too good to pass up.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would certainly be nice, but if that comes at the cost of getting Maroon instead of Pacioretty because Bergevin wisens up while you wait...

I'm not saying the Flyers should be looking for a trade like this right now. I'm just saying Pacioretty for Sanheim and a 3rd is very lopsided in the Flyers direction. Pacioretty had the 5th most points for a LW this year without having a real 1C to play with. And his contract is arguably one of the best in the NHL. Getting that for a guy that's played 0 NHL games is a no brainer to me.

I'd hope that we can all agree selling off picks/prospects now for established players goes against everything Hexy has done to date in order to give us one of the best farm systems in the Nhl. To me, trading away Schenn made it crystal clear that we're not gunning for a Cup in the next two seasons, which is fine by me, because we just aren't there yet anyway.

Pacioretty is statistically an elite player, I'm not arguing against that, but to expect us to compete for a Cup suddenly via just plugging him and several rookies into the roster is a little far-fetched. Let's maybe get to round two first...Lol

Since his contract is one of the best in the Nhl now, he's clearly going to want huge money in the next one, so having him beyond two seasons could prove difficult also.

I'm not about to discredit Sanheim for having played zero Nhl games. He's only 21 and Hexy is being very patient with our prospects, while Pacioretty is about to turn 29. If Montreal doesn't expect him to re-sign, the trade would absolutely be a win for them in the long term.

They probably aren't giving up Pacioretty for Sanheim and a 3rd anyway, that was just an example. Regardless, I'm holding onto my assets right now if I'm Philly. We need to find out more of what we truly have at the top of our prospect pool before we start shipping them off for veterans.