• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Chris said, Giroux has been 1st, 4th, 2nd, 2nd and 4th in total faceoff wins respectively the last 5 seasons. We can't afford to make him a winger when he's winning 56-57% of his draws.

If Couturier can continue winning 55% and either Filppula improves in that area or Hischier/Patrick come in and win them too, we can be a dominant faceoff team here shortly.

I think that's just another step toward being a powerhouse team.
He played much more effectively on the wing as compared to center thats the only reason i bring it up.
I think we have some good players and could find a good winger in the FA market , I would definitely like to see about Oshie, J,williams and yes even Patrick Marleau if the price was right for any,

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
catching up on lots of stuff now that i'm back from Europe :cool:

1. Giroux's contract doesn't concern me THAT much. If he continues to regress, or doesn't bounce back up, it's a pretty terrible contract. BUT, that won't kill the Flyers. Their cap situation is actually starting to look pretty good. Especially when you consider they're going to get major contributions from ELCs, starting this year and for the next 3-4 years. In 2-3 years their top 3 players might be on ELCs or bridge deals (Provorov, Patrick/Hischier, Hart?). It's pretty easy to accommodate a couple overpaid players (looking at G and Voracek) when you get that type of contribution from youngsters.

2. Not terrible interested in the output, positive or negative, in the World Championships. It's a dumb tournament to me. Most of the powerhouse teams are missing some of their best players.

3. Giroux played RW in juniors and was only moved to center when he came up to the Flyers IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to play wing at some point in the relatively near future. For that to happen though, I think the Flyers need to come up with another C. Patrick/Hischier and Couturier can be two of the three, but who's your 3rd if not Giroux. At this point, I don't see another option. Plus, as Mav mentioned i think, they can't afford to not have him taking draws at this point.

4. Agree with Chris on the FA market. I'd look at Oshie, Williams, and Marleau. Though I wouldn't pay a ton for any of them. I expect Oshie's contract will be prohibitive. Other two, maybe you can get for a decent price on a shorter deal.

5. Totally open to getting Fleury. Two years at 5.75 to bridge them to the younger guys. Cup winner, proven goalie (if inconsistent). And clearly a great team guy. Plus you should be able to get him cheap with the Pens looking to get anything for him rather than loose Murray to Vegas. Not sure it would happen given the rivalry, but I expect Hextall will be inquiring.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
catching up on lots of stuff now that i'm back from Europe :cool:

1. Giroux's contract doesn't concern me THAT much. If he continues to regress, or doesn't bounce back up, it's a pretty terrible contract. BUT, that won't kill the Flyers. Their cap situation is actually starting to look pretty good. Especially when you consider they're going to get major contributions from ELCs, starting this year and for the next 3-4 years. In 2-3 years their top 3 players might be on ELCs or bridge deals (Provorov, Patrick/Hischier, Hart?). It's pretty easy to accommodate a couple overpaid players (looking at G and Voracek) when you get that type of contribution from youngsters.

2. Not terrible interested in the output, positive or negative, in the World Championships. It's a dumb tournament to me. Most of the powerhouse teams are missing some of their best players.

3. Giroux played RW in juniors and was only moved to center when he came up to the Flyers IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to play wing at some point in the relatively near future. For that to happen though, I think the Flyers need to come up with another C. Patrick/Hischier and Couturier can be two of the three, but who's your 3rd if not Giroux. At this point, I don't see another option. Plus, as Mav mentioned i think, they can't afford to not have him taking draws at this point.

4. Agree with Chris on the FA market. I'd look at Oshie, Williams, and Marleau. Though I wouldn't pay a ton for any of them. I expect Oshie's contract will be prohibitive. Other two, maybe you can get for a decent price on a shorter deal.

5. Totally open to getting Fleury. Two years at 5.75 to bridge them to the younger guys. Cup winner, proven goalie (if inconsistent). And clearly a great team guy. Plus you should be able to get him cheap with the Pens looking to get anything for him rather than loose Murray to Vegas. Not sure it would happen given the rivalry, but I expect Hextall will be inquiring.
2. Yes teams are missing good players but you get a chance to see good young players that maybe stars in the league in the near future for example Nylander and Marner Sheiffle and even our boy Koneckny which you probably wouldn't have seen this season on their respective teams

5. Totally disagree on Fluery. If we are going to give a goalie a bridge deal until our young guys are ready why not Mason? Fluery on our team would be on par with how Mason has played for us.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have some good players and could find a good winger in the FA market , I would definitely like to see about Oshie, J,williams and yes even Patrick Marleau if the price was right for any,
Please lets sign Oshie we need size badly and he is a well rounded player

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Yes teams are missing good players but you get a chance to see good young players that maybe stars in the league in the near future for example Nylander and Marner Sheiffle and even our boy Koneckny which you probably wouldn't have seen this season on their respective teams

5. Totally disagree on Fluery. If we are going to give a goalie a bridge deal until our young guys are ready why not Mason? Fluery on our team would be on par with how Mason has played for us.

Oh in comparison to Mason I agree with you. Just seems like the Flyers are looking elsewhere. Taking that, Fleury seems like a good option to me.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every day I think I wish we kept Lavi. I understand that the HC is always the fall guy when things don't go the way as planned, but he was a great coach. He now has taken the Preds to their 1st Cup Finals in history and I honestly think they are going to win it. Something about that team that is special. I know Rinne has been a brick wall, but who do they have star wise on that roster? or even healthy? He has that team clicking and believing in the system. Why couldn't we do this? What is it about our franchise that these guys just don't have IT? Fuck I'm pissed.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every day I think I wish we kept Lavi. I understand that the HC is always the fall guy when things don't go the way as planned, but he was a great coach. He now has taken the Preds to their 1st Cup Finals in history and I honestly think they are going to win it. Something about that team that is special. I know Rinne has been a brick wall, but who do they have star wise on that roster? or even healthy? He has that team clicking and believing in the system. Why couldn't we do this? What is it about our franchise that these guys just don't have IT? Fuck I'm pissed.
Mall dont forget he took Carolina to the cup also before he coached in Philly. What went wrong here?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mall dont forget he took Carolina to the cup also before he coached in Philly. What went wrong here?
I didn't forget about Carolina. I'm just pissed that he has done solid everywhere he went, but here he was the fall guy because our then GM here fucked everything up and Lavi was the guy to take the fall.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Homer's defense, he was also fired in Carolina too. He even said as much in his postgame interview last night. Something along the lines of "it means i've been fired a lot" when talking about taking 3 teams to the finals now. I thought that was hilarious haha.

It's easier to fire the coach than it is to fire the players. If you're not winning with a coach+player combination, you change the coach to see if you can find a match that wins. It's unfortunate. I love Lavy. I wish they would've traded away half the team and kept him, but that's just a difficult proposition.

I remember when he got fired from Philly they talked about how his coaching style wears on players a lot and eventually they just get fed up and tune him out. So maybe there's some truth to that, I guess we'll see how it goes in Nashville.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Giroux, Voracek and MacDonald, our cap situation is not bad now and much improved for the 2018 season. At that time, Filppula, Read, Manning and Umberger all come off the books. That's over $11 million in space cleared and we'll have at least half a dozen new entry level contracts by then as well.

At that point, we'll have the space to add at least a couple of really good players to the roster. It could happen via trade too as we'll have a lot of prospects and picks at our disposal.

I'm not at all interested in Fleury. He's overpaid and he's turning 33 before this upcoming season. You could argue that Mason had better numbers this season. Only one goalie had a worse gaa than Fleury (3.02) this season and also played in as many games. That was Mrazek. Even Pickard, the goalie for (by far) the worst Nhl team, had a slightly better 2.98 gaa.

Fleury was a backup (being paid as a starter) all season long basically and it looks like he's lost his spot in the playoffs now too. Add that to the Pittsburgh connection. No fucking way would I even consider him...Lol

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Giroux, Voracek and MacDonald, our cap situation is not bad now and much improved for the 2018 season. At that time, Filppula, Read, Manning and Umberger all come off the books. That's over $11 million in space cleared and we'll have at least half a dozen new entry level contracts by then as well.

At that point, we'll have the space to add at least a couple of really good players to the roster. It could happen via trade too as we'll have a lot of prospects and picks at our disposal.

I'm not at all interested in Fleury. He's overpaid and he's turning 33 before this upcoming season. You could argue that Mason had better numbers this season. Only one goalie had a worse gaa than Fleury (3.02) this season and also played in as many games. That was Mrazek. Even Pickard, the goalie for (by far) the worst Nhl team, had a slightly better 2.98 gaa.

Fleury was a backup (being paid as a starter) all season long basically and it looks like he's lost his spot in the playoffs now too. Add that to the Pittsburgh connection. No fucking way would I even consider him...Lol

I don't think the bold is true at all. He played very well in the playoffs for the Pens this post season. .924 sv% (4th in the league) and a 2.56 gaa are good numbers. And he's played well on the eye test in the games that i've seen as well. The Pens apparently needed a shot in the arm and Murray got them to the cup last year. I wouldn't have made the switch, but Sullivan decided to and it's panned out. That switch had nothing to do with MAF's play IMO.

Mase 2.66 / .908
Fleury 3.02 / .909

I'd take Mase over Fleury, but that doesn't seem to be an option in the Flyers' minds. Given that, Fleury is a better option than most of what's left.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Homer's defense, he was also fired in Carolina too. He even said as much in his postgame interview last night. Something along the lines of "it means i've been fired a lot" when talking about taking 3 teams to the finals now. I thought that was hilarious haha.

It's easier to fire the coach than it is to fire the players. If you're not winning with a coach+player combination, you change the coach to see if you can find a match that wins. It's unfortunate. I love Lavy. I wish they would've traded away half the team and kept him, but that's just a difficult proposition.

I remember when he got fired from Philly they talked about how his coaching style wears on players a lot and eventually they just get fed up and tune him out. So maybe there's some truth to that, I guess we'll see how it goes in Nashville.
I believe the same tune out comment has been made about the last three coaches we have fired.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the bold is true at all. He played very well in the playoffs for the Pens this post season. .924 sv% (4th in the league) and a 2.56 gaa are good numbers. And he's played well on the eye test in the games that i've seen as well. The Pens apparently needed a shot in the arm and Murray got them to the cup last year. I wouldn't have made the switch, but Sullivan decided to and it's panned out. That switch had nothing to do with MAF's play IMO.

Mase 2.66 / .908
Fleury 3.02 / .909

I'd take Mase over Fleury, but that doesn't seem to be an option in the Flyers' minds. Given that, Fleury is a better option than most of what's left.

He's played well at times, but I think his numbers are rather average this postseason given that he's playing for the defending champs. Rinne, Lundqvist, Allen, Jones, Price, Dubnyk, Talbot and Murray all have better numbers in these playoffs. Many of them way better.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the same tune out comment has been made about the last three coaches we have fired.

Can't argue that. Doesn't make it untrue though.

If nobody is interested in trading good value for guys like Giroux and Voracek, do you give them away for below market value or do you fire the coach and hope the new hire can motivate them?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played well at times, but I think his numbers are rather average this postseason given that he's playing for the defending champs. Rinne, Lundqvist, Allen, Jones, Price, Dubnyk, Talbot and Murray all have better numbers in these playoffs.

The defending champs with a dcorps of:

Dumoulin-Cole
Hainsey - Maatta
Schultz - Daley
Ruhwedel

I'd take Maatta on the flyers of that group. That's probably it. Maybe Schultz if he can prove this isn't a flash in the pan.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played well at times, but I think his numbers are rather average this postseason given that he's playing for the defending champs. Rinne, Lundqvist, Allen, Jones, Price, Dubnyk, Talbot and Murray all have better numbers in these playoffs. Many of them way better.

Also, I'd obviously take Rinne, Lundqvist, Price, Dubnyk, and Murray over Fleury. They're all probably top 10 in the league. Not going to get them for a 3rd round pick this summer.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defending champs with a dcorps of:

Dumoulin-Cole
Hainsey - Maatta
Schultz - Daley
Ruhwedel

I'd take Maatta on the flyers of that group. That's probably it. Maybe Schultz if he can prove this isn't a flash in the pan.

Their defense is probably underrated, but they have the best forward group in the Nhl. The puck should be at the other end of the ice very often.

That shitty defense had 4 points and was a combined +8 on Sunday. I think we would take Cole or Dumoulin too.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'd obviously take Rinne, Lundqvist, Price, Dubnyk, and Murray over Fleury. They're all probably top 10 in the league. Not going to get them for a 3rd round pick this summer.

No and I don't plan on getting any of them either, but there are free agents who had far better numbers than Fleury and played on far worse teams too. Not only that, they aren't going to set us back close to $6 million.

We also don't have to make a deal with our most hated rival to get any of these guys. Just sign them come July 1st.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in love with Fleury. I'm just saying of the available guys this summer, he's definitely worth looking at. His competition for that isn't Lundqvist, Rinne, Price, Dubnyk, Murray etc. or Steve Mason (apparently).

It's:

UFAs
Ryan Miller
Jonathan Bernier
Brian Elliot
Chad Johnson
Peter Budaj
Mike Condon
Anders Nillson
Keith Kinkaid

Guys on teams that might not want to lose them to Vegas

Anton Khudobin
Semyon Varlamov
Antii Niemi
Jimmy Howard
Jaro Halak
Marc-Andre Fleury

To me, Fleury is near, if not at the top, of most desirable goalies of that group.