• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4k TV Review

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought a 2016 Samsung KS8000 / HDR "1000" / Quantum Dot. /

I was set to buy the MU8000, which is the 2017 model... but then I read that they removed the Quantum Dot, for 2017, moving quantum dot instead to the new high end "QLED" moniker. Apparently to compete with LG OLED? not sure but thats pretty much how it looks. Anyway Its a fantastic TV for the price. HDR 10 is 10 bit color, over a billion shades.

Samsung TV KS8000: SUHD Quantum Dot, Smart TV | Samsung AU
Series 8 65 inch MU8000 Curved Premium UHD LED TV*~ | UA65MU8000WXXY | Samsung Australia

Looked at the Sony 900 and 930, but the one thing that pushed me to samsung... HBOgo.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some of you guys already have a 4K TV, but I thought I would post a review for those that don't.

I bought the Sony XBR65X900C, for a recently finished sunroom. It was a great closeout bargain compared to comparably featured TVs, but this review is more on the 4K genre.

Picture Quality...That's what 4k is all about...I have a 5 yr old 60" Samsung 1080P Plasma that I considered my reference TV.

Once you start researching, eventually you will hear the term "upscaling". Meaning a 4k will take TV content formatted for something less than 4k and make it look better than the TV it was formatted for. I've found this to be true...a 4k TV will show 1080 content better than a 1080p TV...if you have 720 content, it will show it better than a 720 TV.

CBS, NBC, ESPN, ABC, etc...1080HD football games look brighter and a little more detail than my plasma showing the same game, but not so much so that I would run out and buy a 4k TV.

4k content...you may have gone into a Bestbuy and seen the 4k demos running. The pictures are near live like.

That said, don't expect to see the major networks broadcasting in 4k anything soon. They were dragged kicking and screaming into the 1080HD era...there's no ROI waiting for them if they invest tens of millions into new 4k cameras. There are a few sources for 4k content Netflix, Amazon, etc. but it's something you will be seeking for a number of years.

Summary...At least within the next decade, 4K (or UHDTV) will probably never be a main stream format on par with HDTV...Why buy it? Largely because the TV manufacturers are practically forcing the new technology onto us by bringing the prices down very close to HDTVs. Secondly, most manufacturers have cut back on HDTV production so the selection is pretty limited compared to 4k TVs.

Verdict...I'm happy with the new set...I can stream content directly from the TV, watch You Tube videos, and the picture quality is very good. That said, I wouldn't replace my HDTV with a UHDTV, but if you're adding a TV...it makes sense.

Can you look closely at NBA and NFL live games on your 4K display and tell me if there is any blur or artifacts in the scenes where there is rapid motion. I think I might buy one but I would have to watch a game in Best Buy before I’m satisfied that there are no problems when watching 1080p programs on 4K TVs.