• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

46n2's Conference Projections (5/18/2012)

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to use Conference Champs to get rid of biased Polls deciding the Champ, or who is ALLOWED to play for the Championship.

Even if you allow 4 teams to play 3 games to decide the Champ, if the Poll Selects those 4 teams its not a true champ.

It would be like the Eagles or Jets being PUT into the 2012 NFL Playoffs because they would have been Voted higher than the Bengals and Giants.

Now one might say, no way a 8-8 teams would be voted over a 9-7 team. But the Eagles were 5-3 in their last 8 games. Giants were 3-5. Both teams only beat 1 Winning Team ALL YEAR (Giants for Eagles, Pats for Giants). The Eagles were Peaking at the right time (4 wins in a row, star power), the Giants were fading down the stretch (3 wins in 8 games, a lot less star power then Eagles).

Its easily possible that if the Top 6 Vote Getters(sp?, that just looks weird) were allowed in the Playoffs the Eagles and Jets would have made it.

1977, before bowls
#1 11-0 Texas
#2 10-1 OU - Lost to Texas
#3 10-1 Alabama - Lost to Nebraska
#4 10-1 Michigan - Lost to Minnesota
#5 10-1 Notre Dame - Lost to Ole Miss
#6 10-1 Arkansas - Lost to Texas
#7 10-1 Kentucky - Lost to Baylor
#8 10-1 Penn State - Lost to Kentucky

For the most part it kind worked out right, BUT Alabama did not beat Kentucky. Alabamas best win was over #20 USC. Kentuckys best win was over #8 Penn State.

Let try and use this example for 2012, for both sides.
Alabama 13-0
USC 12-1 Loss to Oregon
Oklahoma 11-1 Loss to Notre Dame
Georgia 12-1 Loss to Alabama in CCG
Oregon 12-1 Loss to USC in CCG
Wisconsin 12-1 Loss to Michigan in CCG
South Carolina 11-1 Loss to Georgia
Michigan 11-2 Loss to Alabama and Notre Dame

Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Michigan are Champs.
So the 2 biggest problems would be
Michigan is a Champ but is behind 4 schools in the race to the Top 4, including the team they beat in the CCG, though they still have a better record.
South Carolina is 11-1 and never got to play Alabama
Georgia is voted #4 even after a 2 point loss to Alabama in the CCG.
Oklahoma is NO WHERE NEAR the Top 4, until 3 schools lose in the CCG and they are now voted #2, but have the same record as those 3 schools.

The point of all this is, is it just EASIER to allow the 4 best Conference Champs (as long as they have 11 wins) to be in the playoff by winning their conference.

Problem comes if there is a 12-1 team in one conference and a 9-4 conference Champ.
BUT
They are probably going to be playing the 12-1 or 13-0 Champ from the same conference that had the 12-1 school snubbed. Should be an Easy Win. And if 9-4 beats 13-0 then why SHOULD they have been left home and their spot given to a 2nd place team, when the 1st place team could not even beat the 9-4 school??

ramble over...

Just have the 4 champions regardless of records.....

If you have a great season and end up losing the Conference Championship game, oh well..........your loss......literally.

Every team will know the stakes before the season starts. Winning your conference should be top priority. If you can't do it, you don't deserve a shot at the National Title.

If you end up with 8 wins in a shitty division and somehow win your Conference Championship game.........congratulations, you did what you needed to do to get in the National Title picture.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be no human bias...........

If you lose, then it's your fault........your own fuck up.........there will be no second chances if you lose your Conference Championship game. The only folks who will complain will be the folks who are pussies and don't understand the concept of winning when it matters most.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
See .. I don't agree with just giving the big 4 conference champs access to the playoff carte blanche. It cheapens the regular season and it literally makes OOC games worthless .. For those two reasons, I think it sucks. I think that you take rankings based on however many legit computer polls there are averaged (the more legit polls used, the more accurate the actual ranking will be). Then, you take the top 4 based on:

1. Conference champions in the top 6 or 8 or 10 (ANY conference champion) who actually wins a conference championship game *
2. Conference champions in the top 10 (ANY conference champion) who plays in a conference without a conference championship game
3. If any spots are left, they're filled by the highest-ranking non-conference champion

Like I said, I don't think that conf champs should get automatic access. What if the SEC East beats up on each each but Georgia gets to the SECCG with 3 or 4 losses and beats LSU. Should they get into the playoff with 3-4 losses?? Fuck no. Use computer polls for the rankings. Odds are if you get that number right (the top X), computer polls won't really come into play unless something like the above happens. Then -- well .. sucks to be them.

How to handle Notre Dame??? Fuck them -- join a conference.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See .. I don't agree with just giving the big 4 conference champs access to the playoff carte blanche. It cheapens the regular season and it literally makes OOC games worthless .. For those two reasons, I think it sucks.

While it will make OOC games not mean much, it could end up producing some better in-season matchups as teams won't feel the need to load up on cupcakes in order to go undefeated. And in that case, I'd be all for it. I also disagree that it will "cheapen the regular season" and would think it would place more emphasis on your conference schedule.

Like I said, I don't think that conf champs should get automatic access. What if the SEC East beats up on each each but Georgia gets to the SECCG with 3 or 4 losses and beats LSU. Should they get into the playoff with 3-4 losses?? Fuck no. Use computer polls for the rankings. Odds are if you get that number right (the top X), computer polls won't really come into play unless something like the above happens. Then -- well .. sucks to be them.

That's what the playoffs are all about and the CCG's would be the first round of the playoffs. Look at the 9-7 Giants last year. They beat 13-3 San Fran and 15-1 Green Bay to get to the Super Bowl.

How to handle Notre Dame??? Fuck them -- join a conference.

Yep.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's what the playoffs are all about and the CCG's would be the first round of the playoffs. Look at the 9-7 Giants last year. They beat 13-3 San Fran and 15-1 Green Bay to get to the Super Bowl.

That's my point. A 9-7 team shouldn't get into the playoffs. A good example of why straight-up conference champs would suck:

Kansas State goes 11-4 and loses to Okey State, Texas, and ... yeah Marshall .. They go on to shock Oklahoma and win the Big 12? Should they be invited to the playoff? hell no

Should Oklahoma have been invited to the playoff? hell no

By using some kind of hybrid system, it maintains the integrity of the regular season (and they're mostly conference games anyway so the regular season would stay relevant) .. it basically makes the CCG a first-round for the playoff for teams who have also performed in the regular season. The tricky part is how to keep OOC games, especially good ones, relevant. I'm sure all the statistical nerds could come up with some algorithm that will take that into account.

I don't see the "4 conference champs" idea panning out. It basically shuts everyone else out and will invite major legal problems. There be something in there that would allow a team to get in outside of the big 4 .. even though it's likely just a formality.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying there will be some big announcement today. Other people keep saying there will be a big announcement June 19th. Nobody has said anything specifically to me.

yup thats what ive read..(today something will happen)..hope it is today get this ball rolling

wonder who will make 1st move if it isnt the big 12

Last edited by a moderator:

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i wont get to find out about the "announcement" today...about to leave the house for the day and wont be back until probably 11ish tonight :pout:

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funniest thing about 1977 was the the #5 team before the Bowls won the MNC. IMO THATS what made the old bowls system better than the BCS.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the SEC and Big 12 would have formed their Rose Bowl-style bowl agreement if a 4-team playoff is going to happen (which would make the bowl pointless). Looks like a clear sign of a +1 to me.

Here's my take:
Free Times: Side Line Blog

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the SEC and Big 12 would have formed their Rose Bowl-style bowl agreement if a 4-team playoff is going to happen (which would make the bowl pointless). Looks like a clear sign of a +1 to me.

Here's my take:
Free Times: Side Line Blog

well played

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is going to say they want to stay together with the ACC but want to see other conferences as well. They need space.

so was this the announcement everyone was talking about yesterday...

also read some stuff that said the sec is/was going hard after nc/vt but have cooled off

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
speaking of which ... 46 owes us his Friday's projections