• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/9 Rattlers @ Giants

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time Longo hit into a triple play?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a game by Holland. Too bad the hitters are hacking fools.

At this point, I guess you have to blame that strategy on Bochy. It has been the MO of this org since before the championships.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days, in regards to hitting with RISP, I wonder if the Giants are being TOO hands on with their guys and putting too many thoughts into their heads. IDK.

I'm not expecting things to turn around overnight, so I'm curious what Powell can do.

Carney ran for the hills and Bam Bam wasn’t able to make a dent in 8 years. I doubt Powell will have any more luck.
It has to be on Bochy. At least, I would guess he surrounds himself with like-minded coaches. Wasn't there some quote from Dunston a few years ago about, essentially, real hitters hack, not take walks? I have to wonder now if that was something Bochy reinforced. Sure, Dunston wasn't known for the walk but if he hears his boss making comments all the time about not being patient, he's going to feel much more freedom to state similar sentiments.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be on Bochy. At least, I would guess he surrounds himself with like-minded coaches. Wasn't there some quote from Dunston a few years ago about, essentially, real hitters hack, not take walks? I have to wonder now if that was something Bochy reinforced. Sure, Dunston wasn't known for the walk but if he hears his boss making comments all the time about not being patient, he's going to feel much more freedom to state similar sentiments.
IIRC, Carney and Shawon got into it because Shawon was countering Carney’s philosophies preaching hackiness.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember that because it still gives me nightmares.

The weird part is most of the Giants' hitters are not aggressive hitters. Belt, Crawford, Panik, Posey are all guys that are naturally selective. We hear all the time about coaches playing to their teams' strengths in football and basketball, why not baseball?

IDK, maybe I'm reading too much into this.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time Longoria did much of any hitting?

Edit: Besides last night?
Well, at least he legit plays a mean 3B...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall Dunston being the guy that preached hacking
That’s what I meant. Carney was trying to teach selective hitting but all the batter were (bad) hackers, and Dunston (the infield coach at the time) was openly preaching hackism. It was one of the reasons Carney dropped grenades on his way out the door.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that because it still gives me nightmares.

The weird part is most of the Giants' hitters are not aggressive hitters. Belt, Crawford, Panik, Posey are all guys that are naturally selective. We hear all the time about coaches playing to their teams' strengths in football and basketball, why not baseball?

IDK, maybe I'm reading too much into this.
To be fair, Belt is TOO selective. It takes away from his power and aggressiveness.

Not sure I agree with regards to Craw. While he doesn’t strike me as an overt hacker, he does tend towards the hack.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s what I meant. Carney was trying to teach selective hitting but all the batter were (bad) hackers, and Dunston (the infield coach at the time) was openly preaching hackism. It was one of the reasons Carney dropped grenades on his way out the door.

Roger

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Belt is TOO selective. It takes away from his power and aggressiveness.

Not sure I agree with regards to Craw. While he doesn’t strike me as an overt hacker, he does tend towards the hack.

The numbers back you up on Crawford. Maybe batting 8th all those years skewed my judgement. He's actually very hack-y

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not situationally effective, but it did advance the runner, at least...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for another rally...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He takes it as a personal affront when he can’t swing...