• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/23 Tiny Hitless Midgets @ ROX

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th inning, and Scrabble is already serving up the batting practice home run balls.

3-0 Rox

And we have, let me see, let me get my caluclator, exactly, hmmm, one hit.

At Coors Field!?!?

The local beer league guys could get more than one hit at Coors.

Go Dubs!

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who can we trade to get a bunch of prospects. Its time to become sellers. Tank for the first overall pick in next years draft.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too early to talk about releasing Samardzija and just eating his contract?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too early to talk about releasing Samardzija and just eating his contract?

the end of last year would have been appropriate.

otoh my season tix prices escalate faster then health care costs - these large contracts with non-productive players are killers

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God that's over...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I get off the plane and see the score...

:L

How...

The...

Fuck...

Do...

You...

Get...

Shut...

Out...

At...

Coors???

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now 37-58 since the ASB last year, including postseason. It's a long season, though, so everything should automatically be okay.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the good news from today is - Gorkys' batting average is now over .100. Next stop - .125!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized, with tonight's gem of a game, the Giants are close to having the best record . . . of being the worst team in MLB. They just have to lose tomorrow, and the Blue Jays have to beat the Angels, in order for the team to grab that prestigious title.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized, with tonight's gem of a game, the Giants are close to having the best record . . . of being the worst team in MLB. They just have to lose tomorrow, and the Blue Jays have to beat the Angels, in order for the team to grab that prestigious title.
I understand we are piling on. How can we not when the team plays like this for extended periods.

But they HAVE to ultimately be better than this, right? I mean, I still believe they have a top 5 infield in MLB. And their rotation is still near elite, even without Bum (even if Marty did say we have the worst ERA among starters in the bigs, which I don't believe).

Sure the OF is quite possibly the legit worst in the bigs, and the bully doesn't scare anyone, but is that enough to counter the pluses on this team?

But this is the same ball we saw them play since the ASG last year. At what point does it no longer qualify as SSS, and it just... is?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand we are piling on. How can we not when the team plays like this for extended periods.

But they HAVE to ultimately be better than this, right? I mean, I still believe they have a top 5 infield in MLB. And their rotation is still near elite, even without Bum (even if Marty did say we have the worst ERA among starters in the bigs, which I don't believe).

Sure the OF is quite possibly the legit worst in the bigs, and the bully doesn't scare anyone, but is that enough to counter the pluses on this team?

But this is the same ball we saw them play since the ASG last year. At what point does it no longer qualify as SSS, and it just... is?

Bam Bam's fault.

And the insistence of relying on dumpster dives for OF positions. Neither Pence nor Span can stay healthy (though I much prefer Pence), and we have what for backup? Span has now hurt his clavicle, and they will probably keep him around for a week or two "just to see" if he can pinch hit, which of course, he won't. If he cannot play, use the DL and call up someone else.

It is way too early to panic, I know, but we have see this ****-show for the last 95 games. It is not a SSS anymore, and is a trend.

I am delighted that Brian Reynolds is doing so well in San Jose, I do not expect him to stay long there. He hits for average, has decent power, is fast, and has an arm. Which means we'll sign another 35 year old CF with a bazillion miles on them for a three year contract.

Gorkys is not a major league OF. He belongs at AAAA. I know Upton is hurt for another two months, so I guess bringing Stubbs up makes sense. He may not be great, but he plays good D and has proven he can hit major league pitching (and strike out!). Gorkys and Marrero have proven they cannot hit major league pitching.

I would guess Marrero gets the next 3-4 starts against lefties, and if he has a goose egg, he is DFA'ed.

(Sigh)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants unsure if Span will need to go on DL

DENVER — Center fielder Denard Span was happy Sunday that he could move his arm around and take his own shirt off. That does not sound like a man who is playing anytime soon, although he and the team consider his status day-to-day.

Span said he sprained the sternoclavicular joint near his right collarbone when he crashed into the center-field wall Saturday night while catching a Charlie Blackmon drive. He hurt the same joint making a diving catch for the Twins in 2012 and missed two weeks.

Span said when he hit the wall his mind had a “quick flash” to Jarrett Parker’s collarbone fracture, but “then I realized I wasn’t in as much pain as he seemed to be. It definitely felt like something was jabbing me in that area.”

The Giants were left with one center fielder, Gorkys Hernandez, who started Sunday. Asked who his backup center fielder was, manager Bruce Bochy said, “I guess it’s (Hunter) Pence.”

Bochy said the Giants are not going to wait long to decide whether to place Span on the 10-day disabled list. A team can play only so many games with one center fielder.

It seems inevitable the Giants will have to bring up an outfielder from Triple-A. The most likely candidate is former Rockie and Red Drew Stubbs, who is not much of a hitter (despite homering in each of the past two games for Sacramento) but plays center. Bochy said River Cats manager Dave Brundage told him in a phone call Sunday morning that Stubbs looks “real good” in center.

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.