• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/22 MASH @ Rox

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore's decreased fastball velocity is concerning, to say the least. He has been very bad so far.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Encouraging, though, to see Stratton at 95 mph. He lost that velocity pretty much when he debuted with the Giants as a pro, after showing it consistently in college. Ever since last year in the AFL, it has creeped back up. It is probably as a result of his short stints out of the bullpen.

He has a pretty good slider, maybe he will find his calling in the bullpen. Certainly looked great tonight.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Encouraging, though, to see Stratton at 95 mph. He lost that velocity pretty much when he debuted with the Giants as a pro, after showing it consistently in college. Ever since last year in the AFL, it has creeped back up. It is probably as a result of his short stints out of the bullpen.

He has a pretty good slider, maybe he will find his calling in the bullpen. Certainly looked great tonight.
Stratton had a great game last night. I wonder if he could have stretched that to 5 innings or if starting would have had a negative impact on his velocity.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stratton had a great game last night. I wonder if he could have stretched that to 5 innings or if starting would have had a negative impact on his velocity.
Just looked at Stratton's AAA numbers this year and they are horrible (quite frankly, I'm surprised he was the one that got the call). In 2 starts, he pitched 10.3 innings, gave up 14 hits, one walk, one homer, 9 earned runs and struck out only 2 batters. And, of course, he pitches 3 nearly perfect innings in Colorado upon his recall.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at Stratton's AAA numbers this year and they are horrible (quite frankly, I'm surprised he was the one that got the call). In 2 starts, he pitched 10.3 innings, gave up 14 hits, one walk, one homer, 9 earned runs and struck out only 2 batters. And, of course, he pitches 3 nearly perfect innings in Colorado upon his recall.

To give Stratton somewhat of a pass, his 2 starts were in Salt Lake and Las Vegas, two of the more notorious hitter friendly parks.

He's still basically a AAAA starter at this point, but maybe out of the pen he can simplify things and have success. I've been wanting the Giants to do this with Crick for a while, and Gregorio this year. It can happen and it can be very valuable. There are a number of guys around the majors doing this now, pitching 2-3 innings at a time, and faring very well.

Too soon to judge Stratton, but if his stuff keeps playing up like that, can't deny the help.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To give Stratton somewhat of a pass, his 2 starts were in Salt Lake and Las Vegas, two of the more notorious hitter friendly parks.

He's still basically a AAAA starter at this point, but maybe out of the pen he can simplify things and have success. I've been wanting the Giants to do this with Crick for a while, and Gregorio this year. It can happen and it can be very valuable. There are a number of guys around the majors doing this now, pitching 2-3 innings at a time, and faring very well.

Too soon to judge Stratton, but if his stuff keeps playing up like that, can't deny the help.
The super-reliever is the next huge evolution of the bullpen. Timmeh started it in 12 and 14, and Miller really made it HUGE last year. I am not sure it can be a viable strategy in the regular season, but maybe Affeldt and Petit are actual examples of that strategy working.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The super-reliever is the next huge evolution of the bullpen. Timmeh started it in 12 and 14, and Miller really made it HUGE last year. I am not sure it can be a viable strategy in the regular season, but maybe Affeldt and Petit are actual examples of that strategy working.

It's kinda like a mop-up guy, but not at the same time. I'd consider Petit a mop up guy, Mota was a mop-up guy. But yeah this is different. It's like a relief ace.

I think it can work in the regular season, if guys are buying into it. If roles aren't a huge deal. If a manager is willing to go away from the status quo and push the right buttons. It does work better in playoff series though.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda like a mop-up guy, but not at the same time. I'd consider Petit a mop up guy, Mota was a mop-up guy. But yeah this is different. It's like a relief ace.

I think it can work in the regular season, if guys are buying into it. If roles aren't a huge deal. If a manager is willing to go away from the status quo and push the right buttons. It does work better in playoff series though.

Kinda cool to see the game evolving in real time...let's see if we keep up! Could happen...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda cool to see the game evolving in real time...let's see if we keep up! Could happen...

I think it's pretty cool.... but I know I'm rooting for the wrong team in that regard. The Giants will continue to do their thing, for better or worse.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty cool.... but I know I'm rooting for the wrong team in that regard. The Giants will continue to do their thing, for better or worse.

But that's what has me curious....will they indeed keep doing their thing, or are things changing for them too? It's a real possibility if we enter a rebuild.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's what has me curious....will they indeed keep doing their thing, or are things changing for them too? It's a real possibility if we enter a rebuild.

There are examples of this.

Houston went through a complete overhaul. There were a pretty old-school franchise up until recently, even after they entered their major rebuild, but they are at the forefront of most major changes now. Cincinnati is dipping into it after this rebuild. Philadelphia is testing those waters finally after being one of the most stubborn franchises.

The Cubs somewhat went through this, but they still operate pretty status-quo on the baseball side. Maddon sometimes micromanages things a bit much, but he's pretty straight forward.

I still don't see the Giants doing anything drastic until Posey is not catching full-time. Even if this ends up being a real down year, I think it will be more of a "re-tool" thing. Sell off Nunez, Kontos, Gearrin, Gillaspie, Span if you can, maybe even Cueto since he may opt-out. None of them, outside of Cueto, would get much, but I don't see them giving up on the core guys.