• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 4-16-18: Mets & Red Sox remain red hot, Bartolo flirts with perfect game, & the weather sucks

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as always over reaction to something:suds:

Six more Major League Baseball games were wiped out Sunday, running this season's total number of postponements to 21 in only 2 1/2 weeks. It's baseball's highest number through the end of April since it had 26 in 2007, and there are still a couple weeks to go this month.
The last time six games were wiped out in a single day was Sept. 12, 2008, and that situation was partly caused by Hurricane Ike battering the Gulf Coast. There was more dicey weather in the forecast for Monday, and Boston postponed its annual Patriots' Day game for the first time since 1984.

One day last week the Cubs PPD a game on the same day that the White Sox played at home. Maybe teams are calling games sooner than in the past because of the extra off days they built in this year?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no more november, better rested.... just to start

There have only been eight November games over the last ten seasons.

What does "better rested" mean? Are you talking about more off days through the playoffs?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power Rankings: Amid top-10 turnover, make room for a new No. 1

greyline.png

i

1. Boston Red Sox
Record: 13-2
Week 1 ranking: 2

It took a week, but J.D. Martinez hit his first home run in a Red Sox uniform. He has continued to hit the ball hard, and he and Hanley Ramirez have powered the Red Sox to a 13-2 start. Less happily, a Xander Bogaerts ankle injury interrupted his hot start at the plate; he had delivered nine extra-base hits in nine games. -- Dan McCarthy, ESPN Stats & Info

i

2. Houston Astros
Record: 10-6
Week 1 ranking: 1

The Astros' offense went into a mini-slump, scoring four or fewer runs in six straight games in a stretch that ended earlier this week, matching their longest such streak last season. They managed to win four of those six games, though, as their pitching has dominated. Of note is Gerrit Cole, who struck out 14 batters on Friday, giving him 36 K's for the season. That's the most by any pitcher in his first three games with a team since the mound was moved to its current distance in 1893, according to Elias Sports Bureau research. -- Jacob Nitzberg, ESPN Stats & Information

i

3. Los Angeles Angels
Record: 13-3
Week 1 ranking: 7

The Angels could not have scripted a better start. Shohei Ohtani continues to dazzle on the mound and at the plate. Mike Trout ranks among the league leaders in home runs, runs scored, RBIs and extra-base hits. Ian Kinsler homered in his first at-bat with the club after returning from the disabled list. Put it all together, and the Angels are off to their best start in franchise history. -- Paul Casella, ESPN Stats & Information

i

4. New York Mets
Record: 12-2
Week 1 ranking: 9

The Mets continued their hot start, becoming the 22nd team in the World Series era (since 1903) to start 11-1 or better. Will that start yield postseason success? Of the 21 teams to start 11-1 or better through 12 games before this season, only eight made the postseason, and only three of those won the World Series: the 1955 Dodgers, 1966 Orioles and 1984 Tigers. Of the teams to start that hot in the past 30 seasons, none has even won a playoff series. -- Sarah Langs, ESPN Stats & Information

i

5. Arizona Diamondbacks
Record: 11-4
Week 1 ranking: 6

Several factors have helped the Snakes slither atop the NL West. In the lineup, A.J. Pollock is thriving in the cleanup slot, punishing teams after a Paul Goldschmidt free pass, with 11 extra-base hits. On the pitching side of things, the rotation is leading the NL with 10.8 K/9, while the bullpen has combined for a 1.92 ERA while profiting from Brad Boxberger's closing to allow Archie Bradley to work earlier in games. -- Christina Kahrl, ESPN.com

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday's game between the Royals and Blue Jays has been postponed due to safety concerns after the roof at Rogers Centre was damaged from ice that fell off CN Tower.

There have been so many weather-related postponements lately that we might as well add a game being played in a dome to the list. The game will be made up as part of a traditional doubleheader on Tuesday. Scheduled starters Eric Skoglund and Jaime Garcia will be pushed back a day.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers Center= brittle bitch