• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd Half Sleepers

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For shits and giggles I'll reference my preseason list for sleepers.

C - Devon Mesoraco: many experts will choose Ramos here, or maybe Gomes, both of which I agree with. I'll go deeper and guarantee 20 HR from DM, with respectable surrounding cats. Points leagues will be disappointed with the walk rate, but to even things out, he shouldn't hurt you with strikeouts.
1B - Jose Abreu: sure, he's not "under the radar", but he is consistently going behind the Belts and Adams' of the world, and could easily be a top five option at the talented position.
2B - Brian Roberts: seriously. okay, I know the chances of 500 at bats are slim to none, but I'll go out on a limb and give you a .275, 82, 16, 65, 24 line.
3B - Will Middlebrooks: I'm not sure I've ever seen such low enthusiasm for a potential 30 homer guy, are we really scared of Stephen Drew?
SS - JJ Hardy: I find it really easy to select Hardy in the beginning of the double digit rounds, knowing I'm getting 20 HR from my short stop.
OF - AJ Pollock: getting no love for reasons I can't explain. real chance at 600 lead off at bats in the desert, scoring lots of runs with big Goldy knocking him in while he steals 30 bases.
OF - Melky Cabrera: I won't reach for him, but I think the Melk Man can return to a plus .300 average with help in all cats... and points leagues will love his K rate.
OF - Will Veneble: with Maybin hurt (again), it opens up more playing time in a once crowded outfield in San Diego. Last year's quietest 20-20.

SP - Marco Estrada
SP - Martin Perez
RP - Drew Smyly
RP - Rex Brothers

Nailed Mesoraco, Abreu, and Melky. Roberts is still playing, so that's kind of a win. Hardy is hitting, just not homers and Pollock was just starting to tear it up, before he got hurt. Everyone else was shit...especially the pitching!

I'll try harder with my 2nd half sleepers...

C - Travis d'Arnaud - since his call up, he's been hitting pretty well (18 hits in 16 games including 3 HR), and I expect him to continue to get better, as well as see a lot of games.
1B - Nick Swisher - the 20 HR/year sure thing is finally starting to show signs of life, raising his average from .192 on June 30, to a whopping .208 today! Okay, still bad, but I see a nice second half for the Swish. (obviously, he'd play as a CI, not saying he'll be a top 12 at the position, ROS)
2B - Ben Zobrist - I really think a change of venue is coming for Zobrist, who is in his declining years, but can still deliver a handful each of HR/SB the rest of the way. A move to Cincy or Frisco would enhance his value, IMO.
3B - Trevor Plouffe - Has been a steady contributor all season long (less a short DL stint). Most value in points leagues since he's raking doubles, but has a handful of HR left in him, and can keep you afloat at 3rd or corner.
SS - JJ Hardy - is this okay? I mean, I just can't see him finishing with single digit HR. An onslaught is coming, with a possible dip in average, but you won't notice.
OF - Jay Bruce - yeah, maybe I'm not going out on a limb here, but most would say gross to Bruce's first half. He's starting to pick it up, but isn't quite there yet. He could still be had cheaper than he should, and I suggest to try.
OF - James Jones - Juan Pierre 2.0 is probably on most radars right now, but even if the Mariners make a trade for an outfielder (Marlon Byrd rumors), JJ isn't leaving the top of the order, let alone the lineup.

SP - Mike Minor - remember all the worry about David Price in late April? (served up 8 HR in six consecutive starts). I'm not saying Minor is going on a Price-like tear, but I don't think he's giving up 11 hits every game either.
RP - Neftali Feliz - I would say the chances of Soria getting traded are very high, and it might leave Feliz with 9th inning duties.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to throw Martin Prado's name in there too, mostly for points leagues, but I see a much better second half for him, especially if he becomes a Blue Jay.

pleeg3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You put Hardy on the 2nd half list? It looked like he had horrible start of the season, horrible. Then I kind of forgot all about him until I saw them playing the BoSox. The average was there but was stunned by the power, (HR), outage. I guess I don't see that changing. No maybe he's made up for with doubles, but for the Sox series he did nothing. Then again it's been awhile since those days as a Brewers.
And when did James Jones make the switch to MLB from the NFL? Then again I thought the Pirates Polanco was Placido. Totally missed the different first name. How long until G. Polanco becomes the Star he's suppose to? It's been tough watching X. Bogaerts go through what he's been going through. Sure wish he was one of those names for 2nd half studs.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox totally fucked XB. Bringing in Drew was the worst move of any team this season.

Hardy went deep last night! It's coming.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1B Mark Trumbo Was leading the majors in HRs when he got injured. He should be good for around 15 Homers and 40 Rbis the rest of the way, but you give up BA.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your second half list, and boy, was I wrong about Melky. I'll throw Lowrie in there. Been coming around as of late, plays for Oakland, and with Russell gone, doesn't have to worry about looking over his shoulder.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogt- C/CI/OF eligible
Van Slyke - CI/OF eligible
TB OF Kevin K.