• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd half of our left coast swing....A's 25-27 of Aug

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows when this team plays next.

I hope the people in Houston get some relief.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being really nice today......He's had days/games/even weeks, but overall, this season has been a disaster for both Odor, and JD for giving him the bucks IMO.
I need to revisit that post I wrote a while back about how few good months Odor has had since getting here and update it. He has had a lot more bad months in his career than he has had good months.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our front office has made a mistake deciding between Odor and Profar in determining who should be here longterm. Longterm that decision may wind up hurting as much as trading away Brinson, Williams, or Alfaro.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our front office has made a mistake deciding between Odor and Profar in determining who should be here longterm. Longterm that decision may wind up hurting as much as trading away Brinson, Williams, or Alfaro.

The only advantage I think Odor would have over profar is home runs. I think profar would be better in the field, hit for a better average, get more walks, and be a better overall player. That's just my take tho, obviously JD and company know more and are paid to make the decisions.

I think it's just they really like odor and he fits in with the team / club house. It's a bad reason to screw over profar tho, I hope he has success as long as it's not in the AL west at our expense.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only advantage I think Odor would have over profar is home runs. I think profar would be better in the field, hit for a better average, get more walks, and be a better overall player. That's just my take tho, obviously JD and company know more and are paid to make the decisions.

I think it's just they really like odor and he fits in with the team / club house. It's a bad reason to screw over profar tho, I hope he has success as long as it's not in the AL west at our expense.
I think sometimes an organization gets a little sideways with a player over something and they let that cloud how they see things. To some extent I think that kept us from keeping Benoit for a few years longer when he could have benefited our bullpen. Many years ago the Cowboys did that with Jimmy Smith and he had his very good career in Jacksonville instead of in Dallas. I just think we are headed in that direction with Profar.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saying Profar would be better defensively than the worst 2nd baseman in baseball is not a ringing endorsement.

I'm still somewhat mystified the team felt it so imperative to nail Odor down with the money they've thrown at him.

But I'm not so sure the team screwed Profar, other than the approach they took to him playing everywhere but where his natural position is. Then again, his position is occupied by EA and he's going nowhere; nor should he. However, it's not lost on any of us how this team, overall, moves guys all over the place, pitching as well as positionally.

Lastly, not sure what you mean by "Odor being liked by the team and he fits in the clubhouse." His fit should be determined by what he produces on the field, and what happens while dumping Gatorade on each other should take a back seat, big time.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Odor Vs. Profar is a futile discussion, based mostly on the fact that we have no idea just how well Profar would be doing.

I certainly don't want to make excuses for Odor - he's having far more poor at-bats than he should this year. But he is young - 23 - and there's ample time to fix him. I also wonder if the situation in Venezuela is affecting his mindset. Again, that's not meant to be an excuse for his performance or how the Rangers are handling him. But for me personally, I'm nowhere near ready to cut bait on the guy.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Odor Vs. Profar is a futile discussion, based mostly on the fact that we have no idea just how well Profar would be doing.

I certainly don't want to make excuses for Odor - he's having far more poor at-bats than he should this year. But he is young - 23 - and there's ample time to fix him. I also wonder if the situation in Venezuela is affecting his mindset. Again, that's not meant to be an excuse for his performance or how the Rangers are handling him. But for me personally, I'm nowhere near ready to cut bait on the guy.

I think the FO is reminded of Sammy Sosa and is a little reluctant to pull the trigger on Odor.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what i wrote 3 months ago.

"Since Odor began his career in early May of 2014 he has played in 19 months of baseball. That includes the one half of a month that he played in June of 2015 when he spent part of the month in the minors. In those 19 months he has had on OPS of over .800 7 different months. He has had 2 months where he had an OPS in the upper half of the 700s. In 7 of those months he has had an OPS of less than .700.

In those 19 months he has had an average of .270 or above only in 7 of those months.

For someone who is so bad as a fielder those numbers just simply aren't good enough. This isn't a case like Profar or Rua where he only played sporadically during several months of his career. He has always played almost every day since he has been here."

Three months later He has had an OPS of over .800 in 8 months out of 22 months of playing baseball in the big leagues. He has had an OPS of less than .700 in 9 of those 22 months. In those 22 months he has still had just 7 months where he batted .270 or higher. And it isn't like his numbers are on any kind of an upward trajectory so that early failures have skewed his overall numbers. In fact his early success makes him look even better overall than he seems to be trending towards.

Compare that with Chris Davis while he was here. Chris hit over .300 in 3 of the 7 months that he played full time here. After that he was never given more than 40 to 50 at bats in any given month until he was shipped out. For some reason this organization is much more patient with Odor than it was with Davis even though Davis contributed much more defensively at 1B than Odor does at 2B. I just don't get their affinity for him. Given that Profar is available to step in it makes it even more difficult to understand since in the limited time that Profar got to play regularly on any kind of an extended basis he actually did pretty good.

It smacks of a personal issue to me and I just don't get letting things like that get in the way. If it was a player with a personality like Milton Bradley or Vicente Padilla I would understand letting something like that enter into the equation.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the FO is reminded of Sammy Sosa and is a little reluctant to pull the trigger on Odor.
The major difference is that we only let Sosa have 88 at bats at the age of 20 before trading him and Odor has had over 1900 at bats.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From mlbtraderumors.com.
The Phillies, Cardinals and Rangers are among the teams that have reached out to the Marlins to express interest in slugger Giancarlo Stanton, but USA Today’s Bob Nightengale cites a “high-ranking Marlins executive” in reporting that the Giants are the club that has expressed the most interest.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major difference is that we only let Sosa have 88 at bats at the age of 20 before trading him and Odor has had over 1900 at bats.
The major difference imo is they don't want to make the same mistake twice and after this season they should know.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point on Profar vs Odor. Although I do think I've seen enough of both of them, defensively speaking, that I'm comfortable with favoring Profar.

As far as Venezuela is concerned, this isn't something I'd thought much of actually. But a valid thought for sure. He's only human after all, and a youngster at that. So if he doesn't have some thoughts about his homeland/friends/family it would shock me.

I don't know if you noticed yesterday but at games in, he was sitting in the dugout, all alone, and although he had on sunglasses, he looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders. As much as I've rained on the guy for almost 2 years now, I sincerely felt sorry for him. God's truth!

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major difference imo is they don't want to make the same mistake twice and after this season they should know.

I think one thing which we aren't considering is JD and the contract which Odor just signed, and I'm sure at JD's insistence. It would be a really tough thing to admit after a few months "sorry boss, I fucked up and we should have never signed Roggie, long term."

As pointed out by Eph, he's still only 23 and lots of time to right the ship. Hopefully a long way from the finish product we all hope he becomes. Granted, I'm not overly optimistic, but still.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one thing which we aren't considering is JD and the contract which Odor just signed, and I'm sure at JD's insistence. It would be a really tough thing to admit after a few months "sorry boss, I fucked up and we should have never signed Roggie, long term."

As pointed out by Eph, he's still only 23 and lots of time to right the ship. Hopefully a long way from the finish product we all hope he becomes. Granted, I'm not overly optimistic, but still.

Point well taken and that is why Roogie has been given 1900 plus AB's vs 88. You are so right about the early contract but that will diminish by the start of next season. I hope he will improve defensively and become a Sosa but will not be holding my breath. Time is on Odor's side. He knows where he stands and what may be forthcoming so it's up to him to prove his contract is warranted.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros will play their upcoming series against the Rangers at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida, because of flooding in Houston from Tropical Storm Harvey, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

Major League Baseball is expected to officially announce the relocation of the three-game series later Monday, the source told Crasnick.

I guess this is equally unfair. Frankly, even if I were the Astros I'd rather play in Arlington than frigging Florida.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros will play their upcoming series against the Rangers at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida, because of flooding in Houston from Tropical Storm Harvey, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

Major League Baseball is expected to officially announce the relocation of the three-game series later Monday, the source told Crasnick.

I guess this is equally unfair. Frankly, even if I were the Astros I'd rather play in Arlington than frigging Florida.

I'm still not entirely sure why this series and the series in September couldn't have been swapped, even taking into consideration the logistics such as travel and ticket sales.