• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Transition Tag Will Not Work On Cousins

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transition tag: This has been floated as a possible scenario, but there are problems. It’s cheaper than the franchise tag, at approximately $28 million. That’s fine. But if another team makes him an offer and the Redskins fail to match? Then they receive no compensation in return -- not even a compensatory pick. Of course, this would allow Cousins and the Redskins to gauge his true market with the ability to match any offer.

If no offer is made and Cousins plays under the transition tag, he still would have made approximately $72 million in three years.

Redskins' options with Kirk Cousins in 2018 would be costly

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My real thought on this...

Bevis and BUtt-Head are quietly hoping one of three things happens.

1. The Niners call on draft day and they can Deal Kirk for the #2 and another pick.
2. The Niners and Browns both Draft QBs in the first round thus allowing the Redskins to continue to lowball Kirk

3. The Niners, Browns and Jets all leave Watson there for us at 17 in which case we draft him, have Kirk play on the tag and we take the 3rd rounder next year with plans of making Watson the starter in 2018.

I really dont think they want to franchise or transition him next year unless We either make or come close to the Super Bowl. At which point they will probably pay Kirk what ever he wants any way.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My real thought on this...

Bevis and BUtt-Head are quietly hoping one of three things happens.

1. The Niners call on draft day and they can Deal Kirk for the #2 and another pick.
2. The Niners and Browns both Draft QBs in the first round thus allowing the Redskins to continue to lowball Kirk

3. The Niners, Browns and Jets all leave Wason there for us at 17 in which case we draft him, have Kirk play on the tag and we take the 3rd rounder next year with plans of making Watson the starter in 2018.

I really dont think they want to franchise or transition him next year unless We either make or come close to the Super Bowl. At which point they will probably pay Kirk what ever he wants any way.

we wouldn't even get a 3rd rounder it says no compensation pick

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we wouldn't even get a 3rd rounder it says no compensation pick

If we draft Watson, we wont franchise or trans tag Kirk, in which case we likely get a 3rd rounder for him in 2019. The only way we get nothing for him is if we trans tag him, he signs with another team and we dont match the offer.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we all know, some here reluctantly, is that there is a point where the price for Kirk's services exceed his value. Reading the posts that point seems to be somewhere between the 24+M that he gets this year and the 34+M price tag that accompanies another franchise tag in 2018. There are those on both sides that say we pay him what he wants or we don't. What we won't admit to is that the organization has already determined his value and whether anyone here agrees to that value or not it is much lower than what the market says he should get, going back a year or two forward. Keep in mind that Kirk is quickly approaching another value marker, and that is the guaranteed money that he's slated to get this year. This amount will total 72+M if he plays here in 2018. If it's not obvious to everyone with interest in this matter, Kirk won't be wearing our colors next year, unless he agrees to terms much lower than the market dictates.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we all know, some here reluctantly, is that there is a point where the price for Kirk's services exceed his value. Reading the posts that point seems to be somewhere between the 24+M that he gets this year and the 34+M price tag that accompanies another franchise tag in 2018. There are those on both sides that say we pay him what he wants or we don't. What we won't admit to is that the organization has already determined his value and whether anyone here agrees to that value or not it is much lower than what the market says he should get, going back a year or two forward. Keep in mind that Kirk is quickly approaching another value marker, and that is the guaranteed money that he's slated to get this year. This amount will total 72+M if he plays here in 2018. If it's not obvious to everyone with interest in this matter, Kirk won't be wearing our colors next year, unless he agrees to terms much lower than the market dictates.

I think that all depends on how they handle things within the next few months, and assuming Kirk is our QB for this coming season, how the team does in 2017. SAy we fuck around and win either the Division and a playoffs game, or get a wild card and win a playoffs game. If Kirk has similar or better stats than the last two years, Dan will have one of two choices.

1. Bend over faster than a Czech hooker being offered American Money
2. Be stubborn and let a franchise QB walk and hope like hell who ever we start from that point forward doesnt suck.

Because lets be honest, if Dan chooses sexy (Jeff George) Over Solid ( Brad Johnson) again.... we will be the laughing stock of the NFL for the rest of his life as well as yours and mine.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my god they could even match the tag

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say if he is not signed long term by the time the draft gets here he is gone

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that all depends on how they handle things within the next few months, and assuming Kirk is our QB for this coming season, how the team does in 2017. SAy we fuck around and win either the Division and a playoffs game, or get a wild card and win a playoffs game. If Kirk has similar or better stats than the last two years, Dan will have one of two choices.

1. Bend over faster than a Czech hooker being offered American Money
2. Be stubborn and let a franchise QB walk and hope like hell who ever we start from that point forward doesnt suck.

Because lets be honest, if Dan chooses sexy (Jeff George) Over Solid ( Brad Johnson) again.... we will be the laughing stock of the NFL for the rest of his life as well as yours and mine.

my god they could even match the tag

There is another option that we're tiptoeing around, and that is, Kirk won't be here this year.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another option that we're tiptoeing around, and that is, Kirk won't be here this year.

OH IM not. I dont know how they are going to manage it, But Bruce is going to figure out a way to deal Kirk and convince half the fan base we did the right thing. Like I said, I think they are hedging bets until draft time. If SF steps up and offers the #2, welcome to DC Mr Watson.

If not, they are hoping Watson falls to #17 in which case they draft him and then try to get SF to part with the #34 pick and something else for Kirk.

Only way I see Kirk as our QB in 2017 is if

1. SF uses the #2 pick on a QB
2. Watson is off the board at 17

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH IM not. I dont know how they are going to manage it, But Bruce is going to figure out a way to deal Kirk and convince half the fan base we did the right thing. Like I said, I think they are hedging bets until draft time. If SF steps up and offers the #2, welcome to DC Mr Watson.

If not, they are hoping Watson falls to #17 in which case they draft him and then try to get SF to part with the #34 pick and something else for Kirk.

great now i have to go on my blind homerism support the qb no matter what spree:mad2:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great now i have to go on my blind homerism support the qb no matter what spree:mad2:

Say it with me brother...

IM not sure HOW Dan and Bruce will fuck this up..... I just know they will find a way. :gaah:

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Watson would be that bad, what concerns me most is this organization has shown they don't know how to build a team even with a large amount of money. To clarify for others -- if Kirk is traded, i think Watson is now the best prospect. who they put around the 2018 QB is a major concern

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Watson would be that bad, what concerns me most is this organization has shown they don't know how to build a team even with a large amount of money. To clarify for others -- if Kirk is traded, i think Watson is now the best prospect. who they put around the 2018 QB is a major concern

#TeamMahomes

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now correct me if Im wrong but even with a Franchise Tag he can sign with another team correct. The Redskins would just receive some sort of compensation. Also if he wants to sign with a team they can work out a trade that is less than the 2 firsts and a third or whatever the it is. So if Kirk really doesnt want to be a Redskin why doesnt he go looking for another offer.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Neither am I, that is why I did the research that I did. I began suspecting that something was up when they failed to sign him long term after the2015 season. Not a big fan of Watson (right now) but, they are building up key offensive positions as if he or another rookie would be in place. I also don't believe that Snyder is a big fan of KS, so trading him there seems a long shot to me. Hmmmm (maybe a new thread) So let me ask, at what point is it taken personally by Kirk in terms of the organization wanting him? A follow to that question, does he t5hen become unwilling to sacrifice himself, knowing that he's determined to move on and save his health by coming up with a Josh Dotson type situation?