• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 "Too Early For My Taste" Draft Class

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Suicide drafts under our belts and looking ahead to our other fantasy drafts, I still can't wrap my head around some of the man-crushes and "bromances" regarding some of the players.

These are players currently being ranked way too early for my tastes. Not saying I wouldn't want to draft them, but not at the early-round price tag currently.

QB
Deshaun Watson
(ECR has him 4th among QB) and Jimmy Garoppolo (ECR has him 11th).
Neither of these guys have played even a HALF of a season (7 games), and yet they are being looked at as starters to carry their fantasy owners for an entire season! Crazy. An owner that passes up elite talent at RB or WR early in the draft for one of these 2 better hope they pan out. Otherwise they put their fantasy team in the hole and need to find a waiver wire QB to make up the difference.

RB
Saquon Barkley
(ECR has him 6th among RB) and Derick McKinnon (ECR has him 14th).
Barkley may be the most complete package next to Ezekiel Elliott (so they say). But "double E" had the luxury of going to a Cowboys team with an elite O-line designed and proven for the run. Barkley is going to disaster. Not to mention the Giants have one of the toughest schedules against the likes of JAX, HOU, CAR and PHI to name a few.
Can't say much more about McKinnon that hasn't been said here.

WR
Rankings are little more realistic. But picking 2... Josh Gordon (ECR has him 20th among WR) and Pierre Garcon (ECR has him 29th).
Gordon is a one-hit wonder to me standing on the edge of oblivion if he screws up one more time.
Garcon is a player I've always liked, but with players like Emmanuel Sanders (34th), Jordy Nelson (41st) and Nelson Agholor (43rd) available, just can't pull the trigger on Garcon before them.

TE
Jimmy Graham
(ECR has him 6th among TE) and Trey Burton (9th).
As great as Aaron Rodgers is, the Packers offense just doesn't utilize the TE position like other offenses. The argument could be made that its never had a TE like Graham. And yet it never stopped them from getting the most out Nelson, Cobb, Adams and other silently talented receivers.
The rumors are flying that coach Nagy will use Burton like he did Travis Kelce in KC. But rumors are flying that nearly everyone on offense will be a unique weapon in a revamped Bears offense. Sorry but there are just not enough passes to go around to accommodate Burton, Cohen, ARob, Miller, Shaheen, Gabriel and White. Not worth the risk to try to find out.

:ranger:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice Joe.

Of those you listed the only one I considered during Suicide was Graham. The main reason I went after him is i like to match my QB, TE, K, and D. I already had Rodgers.

Of those you mentioned Burton is the one I least understand.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Watson was the only one that I considered out of the above mentioned.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't find a thing to argue with you on. ..... not one on that list I'd spend high capital to get in redraft. I will say this though, the #11 ranked QB is not likely to be actually drafted until the 7-10 rds. Likewise with the #9 TE, that's likely more like rd 9-10. So, if you look at it that way, the 'position ranks' are not all that far off. ..... thinking the overall ranks gives a clearer picture of what that, within position, rank actually means in terms of value. ... (guess I was wrong - did find something to nit-pick). ..

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this though, the #11 ranked QB is not likely to be actually drafted until the 7-10 rds.
True. But no way am I making Jimmy my primary QB1 with only 7 games to gauge him on.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Suicide drafts under our belts and looking ahead to our other fantasy drafts, I still can't wrap my head around some of the man-crushes and "bromances" regarding some of the players.

These are players currently being ranked way too early for my tastes. Not saying I wouldn't want to draft them, but not at the early-round price tag currently.

QB
Deshaun Watson
(ECR has him 4th among QB) and Jimmy Garoppolo (ECR has him 11th).
Neither of these guys have played even a HALF of a season (7 games), and yet they are being looked at as starters to carry their fantasy owners for an entire season! Crazy. An owner that passes up elite talent at RB or WR early in the draft for one of these 2 better hope they pan out. Otherwise they put their fantasy team in the hole and need to find a waiver wire QB to make up the difference.

RB
Saquon Barkley
(ECR has him 6th among RB) and Derick McKinnon (ECR has him 14th).
Barkley may be the most complete package next to Ezekiel Elliott (so they say). But "double E" had the luxury of going to a Cowboys team with an elite O-line designed and proven for the run. Barkley is going to disaster. Not to mention the Giants have one of the toughest schedules against the likes of JAX, HOU, CAR and PHI to name a few.
Can't say much more about McKinnon that hasn't been said here.

WR
Rankings are little more realistic. But picking 2... Josh Gordon (ECR has him 20th among WR) and Pierre Garcon (ECR has him 29th).
Gordon is a one-hit wonder to me standing on the edge of oblivion if he screws up one more time.
Garcon is a player I've always liked, but with players like Emmanuel Sanders (34th), Jordy Nelson (41st) and Nelson Agholor (43rd) available, just can't pull the trigger on Garcon before them.

TE
Jimmy Graham
(ECR has him 6th among TE) and Trey Burton (9th).
As great as Aaron Rodgers is, the Packers offense just doesn't utilize the TE position like other offenses. The argument could be made that its never had a TE like Graham. And yet it never stopped them from getting the most out Nelson, Cobb, Adams and other silently talented receivers.
The rumors are flying that coach Nagy will use Burton like he did Travis Kelce in KC. But rumors are flying that nearly everyone on offense will be a unique weapon in a revamped Bears offense. Sorry but there are just not enough passes to go around to accommodate Burton, Cohen, ARob, Miller, Shaheen, Gabriel and White. Not worth the risk to try to find out.

:ranger:
Just to piggyback on you a little. I feel anyone banking on Burton is A) giving a guy who had decent success in a very specific, very limited role way too much credit. And perhaps even more importantly, B) shorting Adam Shaheen. Kid is good, and has a leg up having been with the team for a year. I know new coaches, new system..not entirely new teammates or QB though

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i think you pretty much nailed those.

Except Saquon. Hes # :#1:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i think you pretty much nailed those.

Except Saquon. Hes # :#1:
What? This coming from a WR-first guy?!?!?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y no love for burton
As a fan i hope he does well.
But as a fan and fantasy owner, I have been lied to before by Bears coaches who promised big things for their tight ends.
Lovie Smith promised similar usage out of Des Clark.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan i hope he does well.
But as a fan and fantasy owner, I have been lied to before by Bears coaches who promised big things for their tight ends.
Lovie Smith promised similar usage out of Des Clark.
i just see him as a safety valve on a team with an offense that likes TE's, worth a flier

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just see him as a safety valve on a team with an offense that likes TE's, worth a flier
Worth a flyer, not someone you want to put all your eggs into the basket for that position. I’d have a back up plan.