• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Signings & Roster Moves

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely do we see a receiver especially change his ways at this point in their career. He just doesn't want to take hits. He is unwilling to run routes that would possibly get him hit. The Pats though didn't really give up much to get him so very low risk obviously with this signing I just don't see this one panning out in a big way for the Pats.
I don't think the Pats are expecting a lot out of him. Heck he may get cut.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Pats are expecting a lot out of him. Heck he may get cut.

Which is why I called it a low risk signing for the Patriots. I understand why they made the trade. I just don't see this being one those diamond in the rough kind of situations. He has been with 4 different QB's and a few different coaching staffs and with every one of them he has been the exact same player on the field. He is a playmaker that can do a few things for you. You can have some designed plays to get the ball in his hands and hope that he makes a guy or two miss for a big play every maybe few games. I can't see him being much more than that even with a great tandem like Belichick and Brady.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson adds speed on the outside and a big body. He is going to either have the defense chasing him or 1on1 vs a CB down the field. I'll take my chances on throwing it deep to him from time to time and maybe we can get lucky. After seeing Cooks try and run end around all year and sucking at them, I'll give him a shot with them. He's pretty damn shifty with ball in his hands. BB loves his ST guys and this is no different, he will pay off when the KO are shorter in cold weather. He is not going to leap everyone to a top 3 WR by any means...Cooks, Hogan, JE, Dorsett, MM, Britt, Patterson. Pretty loaded at the spot.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson adds speed on the outside and a big body. He is going to either have the defense chasing him or 1on1 vs a CB down the field. I'll take my chances on throwing it deep to him from time to time and maybe we can get lucky. After seeing Cooks try and run end around all year and sucking at them, I'll give him a shot with them. He's pretty damn shifty with ball in his hands. BB loves his ST guys and this is no different, he will pay off when the KO are shorter in cold weather. He is not going to leap everyone to a top 3 WR by any means...Cooks, Hogan, JE, Dorsett, MM, Britt, Patterson. Pretty loaded at the spot.

That is a stout WR squad right there.
Malcolm No Knees Mitchell probably not on the roster though.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of teams have said this very same thing. Patterson just isn't a willing WR. He will go deep every once in a while but otherwise pretty much the only passes he catches are screens.

If he could ONLY run screens I'd agree. Josh will have to develop some plays for him. If the D knows that it's a screen because he's in, would not be good.

I suspect he'll be a decoy, get some screens, get some reverses, run like hell downfield under a floating 60 yard pass! Then you'll find him a #4 or #5 receiver making some big plays for that small money!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely do we see a receiver especially change his ways at this point in their career. He just doesn't want to take hits. He is unwilling to run routes that would possibly get him hit. The Pats though didn't really give up much to get him so very low risk obviously with this signing I just don't see this one panning out in a big way for the Pats.
I don't disagree he doesn't like getting hit. Brady is one of the best at keeping his receivers from getting planted. Again he won't be expected to do much #4 or #5 unlike his other teams. He'll also figure out quickly if it doesn't work out in NE his next deal with be a vet minimum deal or the new WWE league. Low risk high reward potential for NE you're correct on that. I'm pretty sure any team would love to have Patterson as their #5 and a KO returner. Now if BB has any NE magic dust left to sprinkle on another washed up receiver that's a plus. I hope he uses it to teach Patterson how to return punts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he could ONLY run screens I'd agree. Josh will have to develop some plays for him. If the D knows that it's a screen because he's in, would not be good.

I suspect he'll be a decoy, get some screens, get some reverses, run like hell downfield under a floating 60 yard pass! Then you'll find him a #4 or #5 receiver making some big plays for that small money!

And that is what he became for most of the teams he has played for. Teams knew when he was in they had to be prepared for the screens or reverses with him. So he serves a purpose for sure. Not denying that. I just don't think he is all of a sudden going to become this great player all because he joined the Pats. They have had magic in the past with getting the most out of players dumped by other teams, but Patterson has been one of those headache players everywhere he has gone. He just doesn't seem like a good fit with the Pats and how they run their organization.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say with the players lost in FA the only way you can say the Patriots are in as equal of shape as they were last year is because of some of the players coming back from injury. While the players who left were not top of the line level players they were still big contributors to their run up of the Super Bowl. I think Solder could be the biggest loss especially if they can't get any of their guys still on the market to come back. This Tackle class in the draft is pretty darn bad.

Let's "invent" one.....

Huge rugby player has impressive workout for NFL scouts

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pats Pulpit @patspulpit

The #Patriots signed former #Cardinals tight end Troy Niklas to a one-year deal earlier today.

5:42 PM - Apr 4, 2018

Patriots sign former Cardinals tight end Troy Niklas to a 1-year deal
The Patriots added some depth at tight end.

Mike Kaye @mike_e_kaye

The #Patriots signed former #Ravens and #Jaguars center Luke Bowanko, per the NFL transaction report. Jags received a 2019 seventh-round pick in exchange for Bowanko following last year's preseason.

5:39 PM - Apr 4, 2018 · Florida, USA
https://t.co/knOdBnydRn

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting on Niklas. I liked him coming out of college, but injuries got in the way. IF he remains healthy, I think he can be an upgrade over Allen, and def cheaper...I still think Hollister is the #2 TE on this team when the season starts...Allen or Niklas will make this team as the 3rd TE, both can block well too. Unless......BB drafts a TE, which might happen.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting on Niklas. I liked him coming out of college, but injuries got in the way. IF he remains healthy, I think he can be an upgrade over Allen, and def cheaper...I still think Hollister is the #2 TE on this team when the season starts...Allen or Niklas will make this team as the 3rd TE, both can block well too. Unless......BB drafts a TE, which might happen.
I agree

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niklas a good camp body. If he makes the team it will be for his blocking not his receiving abilities. BB and Scar may need him to help protect Brady?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niklas a good camp body. If he makes the team it will be for his blocking not his receiving abilities. BB and Scar may need him to help protect Brady?

Gould assessment. I like watching Gronk block he seems to take pride in it.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has sure helped prolong TBs career. Got to love guys like Gronk. Unfortunately they only come along once in a great while.

Blocking from the TE position and the FB position are so under-rated. BB, TB and the Pats make a living from it.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has sure helped prolong TBs career. Got to love guys like Gronk. Unfortunately they only come along once in a great while.

Blocking from the TE position and the FB position are so under-rated. BB, TB and the Pats make a living from it.
This is true all our FBs over they years could block.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blocking is why the TE the Pats got from Indy will make this team. I don't believe he has the injury issues Niklas has. Yes?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, Niklas has never been usd as a pass receiving TE. Cards used him to Bothy run and pass block because their OL was so bad. All of what I've read says he catch the ball and he can run one he catches it. Like anyone else....we'll see.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blocking is why the TE the Pats got from Indy will make this team. I don't believe he has the injury issues Niklas has. Yes?
Looks like an exciting camp. Good problem to have especially since NE just signed Jordan Matthews:DNo need for another receiver just keep Brady upright.