• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we were to sign Bruce, does he play right, or do we go with Hunter McParker in right?

I would guess, since he hasn't played LF since 2008, he'd play RF. I have no clue about his reason for it.

I'm liking the idea more of signing Dyson and going with Pence/Dyson platoon in RF. I think, coupled with Bruce willing to play in LF and Duggar in CF, that the OF defense would actually be pretty solid most nights.

Side note, Hunter McParker is probably the most Irish code name I've ever heard.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess, since he hasn't played LF since 2008, he'd play RF. I have no clue about his reason for it.

I'm liking the idea more of signing Dyson and going with Pence/Dyson platoon in RF. I think, coupled with Bruce willing to play in LF and Duggar in CF, that the OF defense would actually be pretty solid most nights.

Side note, Hunter McParker is probably the most Irish code name I've ever heard.
Pence has never played left in the bigs, so I don’t think that is a big factor. However, if Bruce is signed, I think he probably gets right since that is the more coveted spot, and we have all seen Pence’s play decline over the last year or so.

If Dyson is signed, I would think he would be on board to help with the CF position more than a corner spot. But again, I am not certain he adds enough over Gorkys to make the signing worthwhile. Gorkys was arguably the best player on the team in the second half last year.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Zach Duke signing a one year with the Twins (which would have been what I was comfortable with the Giants doing), there is only 10 left handed relievers on the market (9 really, with Perkins certain to retire). Here's my updated rankings:
1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Logan
4. Abad
5. Duensing
6. de la Rosa
7. Liriano
8. Perez
9. Breslow
10. Perkins
Actually, there is an 11th left handed reliever available, Travis Wood. He got released by the Padres last month. He'd probably slot in to number 7 or 8 on my list.
Boone Logan signed a one year deal with the Brewers. That leaves 10 unsigned left hander relievers on the market. My updated rankings:
1. Watson
2. Cedeno
3. Abad
4. Duensing
5. de la Rosa
6. Wood
7. Liriano
8. Perez
9. Breslow
10. Perkins

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting piece about roster building but it feels like the author was building up to something and abruptly stopped the conversation -http://thesportsdaily.com/the-giants-cove/of-the-myths-spun-and-believed-about-major-league-baseball-injuries/

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that the Braves released Adonis Garcia to play in Korea and had an intriguing thought. I know that it is remote, but could it be possible the Braves trade for Pablo Sandoval? They do still have Johan Camargo, who had a good rookie season, but Camargo never hit as well in the minors as he did with Atlanta, so there is a good possibility that he sees a drop in production in 2018. Sandoval would be cheap for the Braves' payroll and, with Longoria on the team, the Giants have no real need for Sandoval on the roster. Maybe the Giants could get a B/C prospect back in return. Just a thought.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned earlier in this thread I wasn't completely opposed to Bruce. 3 years at $13M per isn't that bad IMO, but I'm not sad that he's off the table.

edit:

PLUS I get the sense that he was using the Giants to get more money elsewhere. Sure he would have liked to come to SF, but it would have taken more money than what he just got.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that the Braves released Adonis Garcia to play in Korea and had an intriguing thought. I know that it is remote, but could it be possible the Braves trade for Pablo Sandoval? They do still have Johan Camargo, who had a good rookie season, but Camargo never hit as well in the minors as he did with Atlanta, so there is a good possibility that he sees a drop in production in 2018. Sandoval would be cheap for the Braves' payroll and, with Longoria on the team, the Giants have no real need for Sandoval on the roster. Maybe the Giants could get a B/C prospect back in return. Just a thought.
I have no idea if the Braves are a good landing spot or not, but Sandoval at 500K I think has value. If for nothing else, than for marketing panda hats. But the Giants May want to keep him around for that reason alone.

Did the Sox market Panda hats at all?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned earlier in this thread I wasn't completely opposed to Bruce. 3 years at $13M per isn't that bad IMO, but I'm not sad that he's off the table.

edit:

PLUS I get the sense that he was using the Giants to get more money elsewhere. Sure he would have liked to come to SF, but it would have taken more money than what he just got.
I would have been reluctantly OK if he had signed that deal with the Giants. The Mets just paid for a little more than 3.5 WAR. I think that is doable.

I a man norm sure, though, that it would have cost the Giants more to sign him. He is old enough that this is possibly he last real contract, so getting hurt by ATT wouldn’t be a big factor. Not that it really matters, though, he hits well at ATT.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whew...

now we just need to avoid trading prospects to get tied up with mccutchen
There are still 29 outfielders on the market. Here's the Top 10 most palatable pickups from my perspective (with listings of 2017 positions played, in order of most to least played). The 2nd 5 could probably be interchangable with some that didn't make the cut. Most I'd rather not see on the Giants at all but if the Giants are certain they want 1 to 2 outfielders, I hope its one of these 10:
1. Austin Jackson, cf-lf-rf
2. Jarrod Dyson, cf-lf
3. Howie Kendrick, lf-2b-1b-rf
4. Jon Jay, lf-cf-rf
5. Seth Smith, rf-lf
6. Carlos Gomez, cf-lf-rf
7. Melky Cabrera, lf-rf
8. Norichika Aoki, lf-rf-cf
9. Colby Rasmus, lf-rf-cf
10. Chris Young, lf-rf

Not making the cut (former Giants division): Gregor Blanco, Rajai Davis, Alejandro de Aza
Not making the cut (non-Giants division): Jose Bautista, Peter Bourjos, Lorenzo Cain, Andre Ethier, Craig Gentry, Carlos Gonzalez, Curtis Granderson, Franklin Gutierrez, John Jaso, JD Martinez, Cameron Maybin, Daniel Nava, Ben Revere, Michael Saunders, Ichiro Suzuki, Jayson Werth

Among the notable names that didn't make the cut: Lorenzo Cain - carries two hefty a price tag, could age too much to stay in center and would result in loss of draft picks. Jose Bautista - too old and too much baggage. Carlos Gonzalez - I've gone through that already in a previous post in this thread. JD Martinez - way too much money and too many years for a soon to be DH. Ichiro Suzuki - no longer a starter. Jayson Werth - too old. Cameron Maybin - way too much hype compared to actual production.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whew...

now we just need to avoid trading prospects to get tied up with mccutchen

Cutch just doesn't make much sense to me, given what we know about the Giants' intentions which are:

A. get under luxury tax to reset the counter (penalties get stiff for repeat offenders)

B. Hang onto as many prospects as possible

C. Improve OF defense

D. Improve power

Cutch achieves just one of those, perhaps two if the Pirates eat salary.

The problem is the Pirates have no real incentive to eat salary on a 1-year contract. It would take a bigger haul of prospects to get them to do that. It also doesn't make sense to send someone like Pence (if he'd agree in the first place which is doubtful) because the point of the Pirates in trading McCutchen is to clear salary and get prospects.

On top of that Cutch isn't a good defender in CF anymore. I don't anticipate he'd willingly move to LF or RF for an unproven player (Duggar). On a contract year he's going to want to play CF for his value.

I just don't see a fit here unless the Giants get really crafty. If they somehow acquire him while not giving up their best prospects and stay under the tax than I'd probably be okay with it. That lineup would be interesting actually. I just don't see how they can do it.... unless Melancon, Dyson or Strickland are going somewhere. Pirates don't want 'em though.

TBH Sam Dyson probably should have been traded yesterday. That may be the Giants' ticket in all this.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants were to trade Dyson, would they be able to get more than Hunter Cole in return?

I think they could. He has a history of being an elite closer and is only expected to make about 5M next year. And with the prices that bully arms are going for right now, I think that might be able to pull a lower-end top 100 prospect.

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The club has also announced deals with its remaining arb-eligible players, right-handed relievers Sam Dyson($4.6MM projection), and Cory Gearrin ($1.6MM projection).
Oops, some national writer forgot which team Kontos is now on:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith settled right at MLB Trade Rumor's projection while Panik came in $50,000 below and Strickland $150,000 below their projections. It will be interesting to see how close Gearrin and Dyson came.