• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Recruiting Thread

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, Tennessee remains in great shape for a number of in-state targets. D’Andre Litaker continues to get closer to a decision as does Brandon Harris, while tight end Jacob Warren and others are also narrowing their options.

Later today, its Brady Hoke swinging by to see Litaker at Riverdale.
-Hubbs

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee definitely hasn't "closed down talks" with Carvin. The Vols still are recruiting him hard and probably are one of the two or three teams in the best shape with him right now. But Alabama looks like a legitimate threat for Carvin and has been pretty heavily involved with him so far. It sounds like there's a real chance he could be a take for the Crimson Tide, so if they continue to push for him, Tennessee might have a major fight on its hands. Ole Miss is in there, too.
-Callahan

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee’s recruiting momentum briefly hit snafu this week with the decommitment of explosive tailback Jashaun Corbin. The Melbourne native’s decision to reopen his recruitment certainly caught UT off guard, but Corbin met with Florida State coaches on Monday and decommitted from Tennessee the very next day. At this point, it seems like all signs point to Corbin likely ending up with the Seminoles or another program, with Tennessee pivoting its efforts towards other tailback options starting with Master Teague. The Blackman standout remains the biggest RB target on the board for the Vols, and depending on who you talk to Tennessee either sits in pole position or 3rd behind Auburn and Georgia. The Vols are selling the in-state opportunity — including family travel, post-playing career options, seeing the field early — hard. Teague doesn't do a lot of talking and almost every person you talk to will give you a different leader. All that means is it's anyone's guess as to what Teague will do.
-Hubbs

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally from Florence, South Carolina, Gerald loves the south. He'd also love to make it back this way for the next phase of his football journey, but doesn't say it's a necessity.

"It would be nice but it has nothing to do with my decision," Gerald said. "If the relationship is closer to home then that's the place to be. I'm already in California and I only have two more years to stay so the distance isn't that big of a factor. I want to find the best place that fits me."

"Coach Hoke and coach Wells are my recruiters," Gerald said. "Coach (Butch) Jones has been getting really involved right now. He has been really reaching out to me in recent weeks. I know they had a great one in Derek Barnett. He was a great player. They want me to come in and play that role. Of course, I'm going to have to work because he set records, but they feel like I can come in and fill in the gap."

Arizona State, Georgia, Florida, Louisville, North Carolina State are all recruiting him extremely hard. He hears from South Carolina, Georgia, Louisville and Tennessee on a daily basis. He also has offers from Alabama, LSU and several other top programs. He will unveil his Top 10 on June 1st, and says Tennessee is definitely going to be inside that list and potentially a visit in the near future.

"I'm planning on coming in for a visit when I come in next month," Gerald said. "I'm in for three weeks and the coaches are wanting to have me over and I'm planning on that trip. I have a lot of schools wanting me to come for a visit. "It's not to far from my hometown. I just looked it up and it's five hours."
-VQ

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Coleman ready to prove doubters wrong

Ty Chandler was the big summer catch and Tim Jordan was the intriguing late addition, but all the while, Trey Coleman was always there.

Tennessee signed three tailbacks in 2017, and although Chandler and Jordan come to Knoxville with much more acclaim, a quiet kid from Louisiana is ready to prove he belongs as much as anyone.

A standout at Louisiana powerhouse West Monroe, Trey Coleman was the first tailback in the boat for the Vols last summer, committing on ‘Orange Carpet Day’ in June and battling the doubters ever since.

The 6-foot, 200-pound tailback brings a Rocky Top’d size chip on his shoulder to Tennessee.

“I’m motivated. I feel like it’s going to help me a lot,” Coleman said. “Proving the doubters (wrong) especially. Just having a hard work ethic. I like to be counted out. It’s going to help me in college. I work hard. I have the motivation to compete. Not everybody likes to compete, but I like to compete. That’s going to help me.”

Coleman rushed for more than 1,300 yards and scored 15 touchdowns for the Class 5A state runner-up. A three-year starter for the Rebels, Coleman has long compared his game to Marshawn Lynch.

“I’m getting No. 24 next year, too, so I have to represent,” he said, chuckling.

Coleman isn’t a burner, but he excels at making defenders miss using stiff-arms, spin moves and his strong core. He's a tough-nosed tailback, saying, “I feel like I’m an in-between the tackles ‘back, but I feel like I can also break it."

As his high school position coach Joey Adams previously told me, “I get asked all the time, ‘How fast is he?’ Well how fast do you need him to be? “You turn around and pitch him the ball and he makes three people miss, he stiff arms one (guy) and runs over a safety, and he goes 60 yards for a touchdown. How fast do you need to be to do all that? What he does in pads and what he does with a football can’t be measured with a stopwatch.”

With only John Kelly guaranteed a role in the fall, Coleman hopes to come in and earn a spot this August. One of the reasons Coleman stuck with Tennessee late in the process — turning down a strong push by in-state Louisiana Tech late — was because of the Vols’ assurances that he’d get a fair shake in the tailback rotation.

“Coach (Gillespie) told me, ‘You’ve got to work,’” Coleman said. “I have a good chance of playing. All three of us do, really. But it’s going to be who can work the hardest and who is going to be the smartest, learn the playbook, be the fastest. Watching film, everything. You just have to work.”

One advantage Coleman believes could separate him from the other tailbacks is his ability to catch the football. Coleman caught three touchdowns out of the backfield in 2016, and has experience playing receiver.

“I started off kind of playing slot receiver as a sophomore because we had a lot of running backs. That shows you I had some nice hands,” he said. “Catching the ball has always come natural to me. It’s not something I’ve had to always work on, so I feel like I bring a lot of (versatility) and it’ll give me a better chance to get on the field knowing I can catch the balls and make plays from the slot or out of the backfield. Just more options.”
-Simonton