• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Patriots Roster and Who is Rally Needed

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some discussion this morning about the Patriots roster and the guys on IR. They were talking about who would be here next year and who wouldn't. It was pretty much agreed that the team was in pretty good shape with just the 65 or so guys who would active come July 2018. The question was who does Belichick look to draft what will he do?

So I decided to put together my own roster by position and look at what the Pats will look like.

If I was BB, the first thing I'd be looking at is OT. I don't know what Garcia's problem is, because it's considered a non football injury. Will he be back or not? None the less, it's a problem and in yesterday's game against the Bills, Solder had a boatload of problems. He was supposedly sick before the game and didn't warm up with the team, but played, but didn't play well. Time to get younger. Next is a true center, not a versitle guard. Then a quarterback. Hoyer will do as a back up for another year, but I want a kid who can play the position when/if Brady can't. Finally a cornerback who is taller than 6'0". Maybe Bill can get a Richard Sherman clone.

Looking at this roster, I think he will again trade out of the first round and pick up a few extras.

OFFENSE

QB Brady, Hoyer

RB Lewis, Gillislee, Burkhead, White

FB Devlin

WR Edelman (IR), Cooks, Amendola, Dorsett, Mitchell (IR), Britt, Hogan

TE Gronkowski, Bennett (IR), Allen

C Andrews

OT Solder, Cannon, LaWaddle, Fleming, Garcia (IR - Non Football IR), Croston

OG Thuney, Mason, Karras, Jelks (IR)

DEFENSE

DT Brown, Guy, Butler, Branch, Flowers, Valentine (IR), Jean Francios, Davis (IR)

DE Grissom, Lee, Wise, Rivers (IR), Gissom

LB Roberts, Harris, Van Noy, McClellin (IR), Hightower (IR), Flowers, Grigsby, Reilly, Langi (IR)

CB Butler, Gilmore, Rowe, Jones J, Jones C (IR), Bademosi

S McCourty, Chung, Richard, Ebner (IR), Harmon, King

K Gostkowsi

P Allen

LS Cardona

ST Slater

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some discussion this morning about the Patriots roster and the guys on IR. They were talking about who would be here next year and who wouldn't. It was pretty much agreed that the team was in pretty good shape with just the 65 or so guys who would active come July 2018. The question was who does Belichick look to draft what will he do?

So I decided to put together my own roster by position and look at what the Pats will look like.

If I was BB, the first thing I'd be looking at is OT. I don't know what Garcia's problem is, because it's considered a non football injury. Will he be back or not? None the less, it's a problem and in yesterday's game against the Bills, Solder had a boatload of problems. He was supposedly sick before the game and didn't warm up with the team, but played, but didn't play well. Time to get younger. Next is a true center, not a versitle guard. Then a quarterback. Hoyer will do as a back up for another year, but I want a kid who can play the position when/if Brady can't. Finally a cornerback who is taller than 6'0". Maybe Bill can get a Richard Sherman clone.

Looking at this roster, I think he will again trade out of the first round and pick up a few extras.

OFFENSE

QB Brady, Hoyer

FB Devlin

WR Edelman (IR), Cooks, Amendola, Dorsett, Mitchell (IR), Britt, Hogan

TE Gronkowski, Bennett (IR), Allen

C Andrews

DEFENSE

DT Brown, Guy, Butler, Branch, Flowers, Valentine (IR), Jean Francios, Davis (IR)

DE Grissom, Lee, Wise, Rivers (IR), Gissom

LB Roberts, Harris, Van Noy, McClellin (IR), Hightower (IR), Flowers, Grigsby, Reilly, Langi (IR)

K Gostkowsi

P Allen

LS Cardona

ST Slater

You expect Butler to back? He is a FA.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You expect Butler to back? He is a FA.

I don't know what to expect about Malcolm Butler. He is a very good cornerback- but not a #1
He is not a shutdown corner. He gets beat.
He does bring toughness and energy to a defense. "Scrap" will always be a favorite of mine.
Question is, do we do what we did with Hightower and let him test the market?
Would his pride let him settle for less than he thinks he deserves?
Will someone offer him too much because he can instantly improve 3/4's of the teams out there?

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Didn’t realize we have 13 players on the injured reserve.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God willing we have 4 more games to worry about this season first. I'll revisit this thread on February 5th.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God willing we have 4 more games to worry about this season first. I'll revisit this thread on February 5th.
I intended this thread to be thought provoking. There are 13 guys on IR. If the patriots win the Super Bowl with this patch work defense of even lose in the SB, having 13 players coming back added to the 53 on the roster and the 10 on the practice squad puts the roster count at 76. The draft and signing a couple undrafted FA will quickly put them at the 90 max. Then..................who gets cut??? If they do win SB LII can you imagine what this team will look like in 2018 with all those guys coming back??? Holy Shit!!!!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still of the opinion we need a DT. Seems we hang our hopes on Valentine but in the end not sure he has proven all that much. Brown has occasional great plays but lack consistency, I just feel the lack of pressure up the middle is a genuine concern. I agree with OT and maybe center but if there is not a solid center with the 2nd pick I hope we look for a DT.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Field Yates reporting NE signs Harrison

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still of the opinion we need a DT. Seems we hang our hopes on Valentine but in the end not sure he has proven all that much. Brown has occasional great plays but lack consistency, I just feel the lack of pressure up the middle is a genuine concern. I agree with OT and maybe center but if there is not a solid center with the 2nd pick I hope we look for a DT.

I don't think anybody would argue the value of a great DT.
A great LB might be more available - who knows.
We need LT - might have him, might not.
Looks like we are likely to need CB help in the works.

Will a project QB like Garappolo fall to us?
Being last in the draft (hopeful) means you either have to be resourceful or lucky - or both......

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I intended this thread to be thought provoking. There are 13 guys on IR. If the patriots win the Super Bowl with this patch work defense of even lose in the SB, having 13 players coming back added to the 53 on the roster and the 10 on the practice squad puts the roster count at 76. The draft and signing a couple undrafted FA will quickly put them at the 90 max. Then..................who gets cut??? If they do win SB LII can you imagine what this team will look like in 2018 with all those guys coming back??? Holy Shit!!!!
That's fine, I'd just prefer not to provoke thoughts about next season yet, but when it comes to roster counts for next year you should be taking into account the 14 FA's that may or not be back, plus possible retirements, and potential cap casualties as they don't have a ton of room. They're in great shape but that doesn't mean every guy on the current payroll will be back, either. Just ask Trevor Reilly.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position of need for me is: LB, LB/DE, QB, S, OT,

Not sure who will be out there in terms of FA, but I am sure BB has a list. I honestly think Solder is back, not sure for how much and they groom Garcia. I am all set with Butler, he can go. Not sure we see Branch, Harrison, Allen back next yr. Add Roberts and Shea Mc to that list. Keep Flowers for ST, draft LB to replace those guys.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a DE, OT (Left), OT (Right, 6'+ CB, C, QB I don't care what round, just want to see some improvement.

The Patriots will have to really do some work to resign some of their own free agents:

Solder, Nate LT 29 NE TBD $10,031,000 UFA
Butler,Malcolm Butler CB 27 NE TBD $3,910,000 UFA
Burkhead,Rex Burkhead RB 27 NE TBD $3,150,000 UFA
Bademosi,Johnson Bademosi CB 27 NE TBD $2,250,000 UFA
Slater,Matthew Slater WR 32 NE TBD $1,800,000 UFA
Fleming,Cameron Fleming T 25 NE TBD $1,797,000 UFA
Amendola,Danny Amendola WR 32 NE TBD $1,700,000 UFA
Lewis,Dion Lewis RB 27 NE TBD $1,300,000 UFA
Ebner,Nate Ebner FS 28 NE TBD $1,200,000 UFA
Waddle,LaAdrian Waddle RT 26 NE TBD $1,200,000 UFA
Harrison,James Harrison OLB 39 NE TBD $1,000,000 UFA
Jean Francois,Ricky DT 31 NE TBD $900,000 UFA
Bolden,Brandon RB 27 NE TBD $775,000 UFA
Flowers,Marquis OLB 25 NE TBD $574,670 UFA

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burkhead....Slater...... D Lewis are the only ones I’d want back. Maybe Ebner and Flowers.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated Roster

OFFENSE (30)

QB Brady, Hoyer

FB Devlin

WR Edelman (IR), Cooks, Amendola, Dorsett, Mitchell (IR), Britt, Hogan, Reedy

TE Gronkowski, Bennett (IR), Allen, Hollister

C Andrews

DEFENSE (34)

DE Grissom, Lee, Wise, Rivers (IR), Harrison

SPECIAL TEAM (4)

K Gostkowsi

P Allen

LS Cardona

ST Slater

2018 Draft pick for the Patriots:

1st round pick (NE)

2nd round pick (NE)

2nd round pick (via San Francisco, acquired in the Garoppolo trade)

3rd round pick (NE)*

4th round pick (NE)*

6th round pick (NE)

7th round pick (NE) **

* The Patriots will owe either a 2018 third or fourth round pick to the Eagles due to the Eric Rowe trade from 2016. The determination is predicated on the percentage of snaps Rowe plays. If he plays in more than 50 percent, the Patriots owe a 3rd round pick. If it’s less, the pick sent will be a fourth round pick. In the 2016 season, Rowe played in only 43 percent of the team’s defensive snaps. So far in 2017, he’s played in just 89 defensive snaps (16.86 percent).

** In 2015, the Patriots reportedly traded their 2018 seventh round pick to the Saints for Jalen Saunders. However, it was a “conditional pick,” and Saunders was cut only days afterward, potentially negating the conditions of the exchange. Additionally, the Patriots reportedly traded a seventh round pick to the Bengals for linebacker Marquis Flowers in August, though it is unconfirmed if it’s a 2018 draft pick.

Seattle owns the Patriots’ 2018 fifth round pick, according to ESPN. The pick was included in the Sept. trade for Cassius Marsh. New England also traded a seventh round pick in the deal, but it was Seattle’s own pick, per ESPN (which had been acquired earlier in a trade that sent cornerback Justin Coleman to the Seahawks).

On top of their regular picks, the Patriots are slated to receive several compensatory draft picks due to free agent departures following the 2016 season. These picks are only projections at the moment, given that the final status is determined by the performance of players in the 2017 season. According to Over the Cap, the free agent exits of former Patriots Jabaal Sheard, Martellus Bennett, and LeGarrette Blount will put New England on track to receive three compensatory picks.

Interestingly, the 49ers not including quarterback Brian Hoyer in the Garoppolo trade was reportedly due to the ramifications it held for future compensatory draft picks.

Projected compensatory picks:

4th round pick (Jabaal Sheard)

4th round pick (Martellus Bennett) (Not 100% sure that the league will give this pick as Bennett was released by Green Bay and resigned with the Patriots. Legal argument is that he was not with the Patriots through half of the season and therefore the Compensatory pick must be allowed)

7th round pick (LeGarrette Blount)

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to wait two weeks before the "Big Game", but thye TV shows are starting to get a jump on what will be tlked about after the Super Bowl. Boston Sports Tonight started discussing 2 player who may or may not be here next year. They made some interesting points...The most important is that there will be three new head coaches out there with direct connection to the Patriots. Vrabel, McDaniels and Patricia. How many current Patriot player might they be willing to pay a little 'extra' for??

My feeling right now what will happen ......

New England Patriots 2018 free agents
  • Danny Amendola, wide receiver - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Johnson Bademosi, cornerback - Will test the market and will probably be back
  • Brandon Bolden, running back - Will test the market and sign with the Colts
  • Rex Burkhead, running back - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Malcolm Butler, cornerback - Will test the market and sign with the Lions
  • Nate Ebner, free safety - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Cameron Fleming, offensive tackle - Will test the market and sign elsewhere
  • Marquis Flowers, outside linebacker - Will test the market and sign with the Lions
  • Geno Grissom, defensive end - Will sign elsewhere for more money (Tenn)
  • James Harrison, outside linebacker - Will resign with the Patriots or retire
  • Ricky Jean Francois, defensive tackle - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Dion Lewis, running back - Will most likely sign with the Colts
  • Matthew Slater, wide receiver/special teams - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Nate Solder, left tackle - Will test the market and resign with the Patriots
  • LaAdrian Waddle, right tackle - Will resign with the Patriots
The Patriots also have 16 players on IR who will be coming back. None are running backs so RB could be something that BB will look very closely at in the draft.

One never knows exactly what will happen, but you have to wonder how much a win or a loss in the Super Bowl will effect the thought process of the Patriots Brain Trust, or have they already decided what they're going to do??

If BB trades the first round pick for a future first rounder, the he'll be here until 2022, if not, I think he'll be gone after 2019.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to wait two weeks before the "Big Game", but thye TV shows are starting to get a jump on what will be tlked about after the Super Bowl. Boston Sports Tonight started discussing 2 player who may or may not be here next year. They made some interesting points...The most important is that there will be three new head coaches out there with direct connection to the Patriots. Vrabel, McDaniels and Patricia. How many current Patriot player might they be willing to pay a little 'extra' for??

My feeling right now what will happen ......

New England Patriots 2018 free agents
  • Danny Amendola, wide receiver - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Johnson Bademosi, cornerback - Will test the market and will probably be back
  • Brandon Bolden, running back - Will test the market and sign with the Colts
  • Rex Burkhead, running back - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Malcolm Butler, cornerback - Will test the market and sign with the Lions
  • Nate Ebner, free safety - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Cameron Fleming, offensive tackle - Will test the market and sign elsewhere
  • Marquis Flowers, outside linebacker - Will test the market and sign with the Lions
  • Geno Grissom, defensive end - Will sign elsewhere for more money (Tenn)
  • James Harrison, outside linebacker - Will resign with the Patriots or retire
  • Ricky Jean Francois, defensive tackle - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Dion Lewis, running back - Will most likely sign with the Colts
  • Matthew Slater, wide receiver/special teams - Will resign with the Patriots
  • Nate Solder, left tackle - Will test the market and resign with the Patriots
  • LaAdrian Waddle, right tackle - Will resign with the Patriots
The Patriots also have 16 players on IR who will be coming back. None are running backs so RB could be something that BB will look very closely at in the draft.

One never knows exactly what will happen, but you have to wonder how much a win or a loss in the Super Bowl will effect the thought process of the Patriots Brain Trust, or have they already decided what they're going to do??

If BB trades the first round pick for a future first rounder, the he'll be here until 2022, if not, I think he'll be gone after 2019.
As always Ken, nice work here I'll just comment on a couple of the guys you mentioned:
Amendola, thank you for everything you've done. Fielding punts. He's continued to get less looks and take less $. Yet always comes up big. I hope he retires a patriot.
Bademosi, I think this kid can be special. Never going to be a shut down guy but a guy who just makes plays. If he stays with NE he'll be one of those guys who makes a big play to help win an important game.
Bolden, everyone knows I won't miss him.
Butler, enjoy FA and go get your $. You won't get it in NE. Hopefully BB can find a nice 6' + CB to replace you?
Harrison, I'd welcome him back if he wants to return. He's been pretty tight lipped. Have you heard any interviews of his feelings on playing for NE? Last I saw was after the AFCCG where when asked about the win and going to the SB he was yeah it's ok. He woukdn't break a smile because he knew the job isn't done yet.
Lewis, I hope you're wrong. I'd love to have him back. If not maybe Blount comes back? I know they're two different style backs but this RB by committee seems to be working pretty well. BB can then go find a mid to late round jitter bug to groom.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grissom is under contract for 2018. Even if he wasn't, he would only be a restricted free agent.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the roster, we just don't know what other teams will offer any of the Patriot free agents. So what does the roster look like if ALL of them leave? Without question the team has a totally different look. The draft become a critical focus because there are needs that cannot be ignored. Losing all 15 FA would unquestionably give the Patriots a few dollars to jump into the FA market. As always, you can never be sure that the players you draft are really football players or guys who played college football. So, In my opinion, the greatest need would be offensive tackle (left), running back, tight end on offense and defensive end and cornerback on defense. I'd also like to see a quarterback in the mix.

OFFENSE (23)

QB Brady, Hoyer

RB Gillislee, White

FB Devlin

WR Edelman, Cooks, Dorsett, Mitchell, Britt, Hogan, Reedy

TE Gronkowski, Allen, Hollister

C Andrews

OT Cannon, Garcia, Croston

OG Thuney, Mason, Karras, Jelks

DEFENSE (26)

DT Brown, Guy, Butler, Flowers, Valentine, Davis

DE Lee, Wise, Rivers

LB Roberts, Harris, Van Noy, McClellin, Hightower, Grigsby, Reilly, Langi

CB Gilmore, Rowe, Jones J, Jones C

S McCourty, Chung, Richard, Harmon, King

SPECIAL TEAM (3)

K Gostkowsi

P Allen

LS Cardona

ST

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the roster, we just don't know what other teams will offer any of the Patriot free agents. So what does the roster look like if ALL of them leave? Without question the team has a totally different look. The draft become a critical focus because there are needs that cannot be ignored. Losing all 15 FA would unquestionably give the Patriots a few dollars to jump into the FA market. As always, you can never be sure that the players you draft are really football players or guys who played college football. So, In my opinion, the greatest need would be offensive tackle (left), running back, tight end on offense and defensive end and cornerback on defense. I'd also like to see a quarterback in the mix.

OFFENSE (23)

QB Brady, Hoyer

RB Gillislee, White

FB Devlin

WR Edelman, Cooks, Dorsett, Mitchell, Britt, Hogan, Reedy

TE Gronkowski, Allen, Hollister

C Andrews

OT Cannon, Garcia, Croston

OG Thuney, Mason, Karras, Jelks

DEFENSE (26)

DT Brown, Guy, Butler, Flowers, Valentine, Davis

DE Lee, Wise, Rivers

LB Roberts, Harris, Van Noy, McClellin, Hightower, Grigsby, Reilly, Langi

CB Gilmore, Rowe, Jones J, Jones C

S McCourty, Chung, Richard, Harmon, King

SPECIAL TEAM (3)

K Gostkowsi

P Allen

LS Cardona

ST

If just the FA's leave and no cuts are made then the Pats will have only about $14 million in cap space. A good chunk of that would go to the draft class and some emergency money.