• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Open Championship. Carnoustie

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger has never won a Major when not in the lead heading into the final day. He had an opportunity to win this tournament but wasn't aggressive and chose to play safe golf. I admit I despise Tiger but he is just a good player and not an elite golfer anymore despite the media trying to prop him up.

Tiger is better than just a good player...after nearly 2 yrs off, he's already qualified for the WGCs in basically a handful of events.

While I think most of the players that retain their tour card yr in and yr out are elite players, as we've seen multiple times this season along, any of these guys can win a golf tournament. Where I agree with you, he's no longer a "special" player and I don't think he will ever reach that level again.

The media is just doing what the media does...it happens in all sports. They wax poetic about aging star athletes as if they were still in there prime, but the analyst know Tiger is a different player today.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the analyst know Tiger is a different player today.

Most of them are completely ignoring his Sunday mini meltdowns. John Miller is the only one I remember bringing it up on camera.

And yes to a degree the media has always done this but they have never taken it this far.
Tiger blows the lead with 3 over on 2 holes and loses the tournament.

ESPN's lead story "A major loss for Tiger that will lead to a major win"

So in the bizzaro world of ESPN when you blow a lead in the major it means you are going to win.
If this was Phil, there would have been an article that ripped him a new one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of them are completely ignoring his Sunday mini meltdowns. John Miller is the only one I remember bringing it up on camera.

And yes to a degree the media has always done this but they have never taken it this far.
Tiger blows the lead with 3 over on 2 holes and loses the tournament.

ESPN's lead story "A major loss for Tiger that will lead to a major win"

So in the bizzaro world of ESPN when you blow a lead in the major it means you are going to win.
If this was Phil, there would have been an article that ripped him a new one.

I was in Europe last week and what little I saw of the tournament was the BBC feed so I can't comment on who said what, as we know JM calls it like he sees it. At the end of the day Tiger shot even par, and lost to a guy that shot 2 under...yeah I get it Tiger had the lead briefly but not a huge collapse worthy of building a story around.

IMO Spieth collapsed and that really was sort of glossed over as well...at least on the BBC feed. Not sure how it was covered here.

I think your description of ESPN was spot on and says enough...particularly when it comes to covering golf.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in Europe last week and what little I saw of the tournament was the BBC feed so I can't comment on who said what, as we know JM calls it like he sees it. At the end of the day Tiger shot even par, and lost to a guy that shot 2 under...yeah I get it Tiger had the lead briefly but not a huge collapse worthy of building a story around.

IMO Spieth collapsed and that really was sort of glossed over as well...at least on the BBC feed. Not sure how it was covered here.

I think your description of ESPN was spot on and says enough...particularly when it comes to covering golf.

To your point that they have always done this.

The worst I have ever seen is when Stewart Cink won the The Open in a playoff against Tom Watson.
Watson has Major wins that he probably don't even remember he has so many ...including 5 Open Chapsionships.
Cink a Joureyman who has less wins than Watson has majors

I get Watson was the story ..oldest to ever win a major.

But when they interviewed Cink , you could taste the resentment form the reporter. He practically ask Cink to apologize for winning it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point that they have always done this.

The worst I have ever seen is when Stewart Cink won the The Open in a playoff against Tom Watson.
Watson has Major wins that he probably don't even remember he has so many ...including 5 Open Chapsionships.
Cink a Joureyman who has less wins than Watson has majors

I get Watson was the story ..oldest to ever win a major.

But when they interviewed Cink , you could taste the resentment form the reporter. He practically ask Cink to apologize for winning it.

They have...I remember the Cink win and the following interview. He lives in Sugarloaf CC (about 15 mins from our office here) and was interviewed by Brian Katrek (does golf sports talk here) about that and he admitted it was tough to accept the win for a while because it was Watson. He definitely sensed the media wanted Tom to win it and understood why, but eventually got over it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger is better than just a good player...after nearly 2 yrs off, he's already qualified for the WGCs in basically a handful of events.

While I think most of the players that retain their tour card yr in and yr out are elite players, as we've seen multiple times this season along, any of these guys can win a golf tournament. Where I agree with you, he's no longer a "special" player and I don't think he will ever reach that level again.

The media is just doing what the media does...it happens in all sports. They wax poetic about aging star athletes as if they were still in there prime, but the analyst know Tiger is a different player today.
Tiger is still good but not dominant.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam you’re pretty defensive or just hate Tiger so dam much. Take it easy bro

Just saying there has been zero dominance for awhile

Don’t know if we will ever see it like that again

I say this and then DJ rolls in a birdie to go -20 in canada.

Tiger set the stage for all these younger guys and now golf is loaded with young talent

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam you’re pretty defensive or just hate Tiger so dam much. Take it easy bro

Just saying there has been zero dominance for awhile

Don’t know if we will ever see it like that again
I'm not at all defensive and I agree that no one individual has been dominant so why are you making such a big deal about it?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not at all defensive and I agree that no one individual has been dominant so why are you making such a big deal about it?

Did Tiger steal your girl? Seriously just take deep breathes

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Tiger steal your girl? Seriously just take deep breathes
You are the one trying to make a big deal out of it. Just calm down dude.