• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Offseason Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good stuff in here.

Devils open to trading down at 2018 Draft

"Well, it probably wasn't the type of conversation I had with Taylor, but I had a pretty frank discussion with [goalie Cory Schneider] after the season. I basically have higher expectations for him and so does he. I was real supportive in having this hip surgery done when it was done. Any sort of [ailment] that can take away from him being his best is an issue, but we need better and he knows that. But it's not like I'm mad at him. It's just something needs to change. Whether it's how he trains in the summer or something. When you turn 30-plus years old, guys need to do things differently. Lee Stempniak is a great example. The season before he came to New Jersey (2015-16), he started doing Pilates for the first time in his life, for a year, and he felt he had so much more energy (and played 63 games with the Devils). He had always been in good shape but didn't feel right, so he did something different. Anyway, there's a lot of support for Cory. We all want him to be the best he can be. He's insightful and wants to redeem himself next season. I'm hoping the surgery will provide him every avenue to do that. I thought it was a really good conversation and I think he thinks the same thing. It was really productive and honest back-and-forth dialogue."

And this:

Do you have any interest in acquiring free agent forward Ilya Kovalchuk, who can sign with any NHL team?

"I've not reached out to Kovalchuk's representatives and I've not heard from them, so there you go."

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Definitely. Next Summer's free agent defenseman are nuts but the free agent class this year is very strong, Carolina has flat out stated they want to blow it up, Ottawa's owner wants to get rid of half the team. There is no shortage of opportunity.

which is precisely why i think shero said in the story linked before that he is open to moving the #17. honestly the crop of prospects we have now and the players entering the prime of their career. hall and cory i have no problem moving the #17 this year and the #1 next year if it meant we could land some serious top tier talent to go with hall. you have a pretty young lineup right now and still some really good prospects that are in the pipeline i'm fine taking a year or two off from a first round pick if it meant we could really land some pop.

they want to take another step next year and then reup hall to a 8 year contract that season IMO. i'm really glad that shero had that "frank" talk with cory too. you have the sense with the devils taking 2 goalies in the last two drafts that shero isn't a fan of cory and his play doesn't help the cause.

so just think the devils come back next year with a motivated cory and hall winning the hart trophy. hopefully adding a legit d man and a proven top 6 or top 3 forward.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
also lou getting rid of weight (a jt favorite) and snow. i am 1000000% convinced that JT leaves the island this summer. hopefully ray is waiting there with open checkbook

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cory thing also reminds me, remember last year he made comments about having expectations for certain guys and them not living up to them, he then cut Cammalleri and DSP.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to play center right? Can he play RW?

I believe he played both, so we'll see. If he doesn't make it out of camp I wouldn't mind keeping him in Binghamton until around Christmas, then calling him up.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 pick and Quenneville? I would do it. Maybe next year's first if they anticipate being better, also so we actually have a draft pick this year.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Skinner: I'm listening thats for sure..... would add help on line 2 big time....

Congrats to the Caps and Ovie, wasn't rooting against them just for Vegas... but congrats to their Cup win. It's been a long time coming.

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big congrats goes to the Capitals on winning the cup last night. I was rooting for them mostly because I live in Penguin country, so you can imagine that after two straight years of them winning, having the Caps dethrone them is some serious sour grapes in these parts! Linebackeru knows what I'm talking about hahaha.

I was impressed by Vegas, just didn't think it was fair how the expansion draft was setup to make them playoff contenders in their first year, which hadn't been the case in expansion teams of the past. Still, they had to perform this year and did so. I think this loss will only help the franchise and fanbase want more. Win win for the NHL in Vegas moving forward. Not to mention the bookies are secretly thrilled that they didn't lose their behinds had Vegas won.

Now that this year is all said and done, I'm already excited for the upcoming season which basically starts now. Draft soon, free agency after. Some telling weeks are coming quick! With Shero, I am always excited about what is to come.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agree on Vegas. Maybe I am old fashioned, but come into the league brand new and you got to hit tough times like other expansion teams. Shit, Devils were called mickey mouse and we sucked for years until that MacLean goal got us in playoffs. Even then Devils did not establish themselves until the 90s pretty much. Although there was that one series against the Pens where we must have scored 6 goals that were disallowed. Real Devils fans know what I am talking about.

I am also happy for Caps. Ovi is a great player who deserves a cup.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agree on Vegas. Maybe I am old fashioned, but come into the league brand new and you got to hit tough times like other expansion teams. Shit, Devils were called mickey mouse and we sucked for years until that MacLean goal got us in playoffs. Even then Devils did not establish themselves until the 90s pretty much. Although there was that one series against the Pens where we must have scored 6 goals that were disallowed. Real Devils fans know what I am talking about.

I am also happy for Caps. Ovi is a great player who deserves a cup.

Is that the series where the devils had a 3-2 lead going home and actually had the lead and took a two goal lead I believe it was Lori boschman scored but waived off for kicking it in when replay clearly showed it wasn’t kicked in? That was like 92 93

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
17 pick and Quenneville? I would do it. Maybe next year's first if they anticipate being better, also so we actually have a draft pick this year.

Wow that’s a really low asking price wtf. John q isn’t going to amount to anything

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I’ve been waiting all year for the knights to finally start acting like an expansion team. Just took til the end for their true colors to show. Flurry played like he did at the end in pitt karlson a no show and marchasant a no show.

Problem with Vegas now is they are going to have to pay these guys who only really showed up this year. You trust karlson who’s 26 and just now broke out? Go ahead give him a 7 year 7 million do,Lara contract. They will be looking to get out of it in three years. But the fans are going to expect all this every year. They don’t know that spring hockey is hard. Vegas just burned through all of their “expansion team bad years” bankroll and now have to compete right away.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is that the series where the devils had a 3-2 lead going home and actually had the lead and took a two goal lead I believe it was Lori boschman scored but waived off for kicking it in when replay clearly showed it wasn’t kicked in? That was like 92 93
Yep. Early 90s. I thought it was 91 but you might be right.
Brown, Conacher and Boschman one of the best lines in Devils history. Up 3-2, put those guys out there last few minutes and game is over lol

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep. Early 90s. I thought it was 91 but you might be right.
Brown, Conacher and Boschman one of the best lines in Devils history. Up 3-2, put those guys out there last few minutes and game is over lol

I remember (thanks nhl network) that a devil player got robbed with an open net. I think it was peter sydorkavich who robbed him. Save was kinda like holtby in game 2 of the finals.

I can’t wait for hockey to start up again. It’s really refreshing to be looking forward to hockey again knowing that the team will at least have talent and be fun to watch again.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Devils 40-1 to win the cup next year. That’s great odds for a team that previously made the playoffs. If the devils make a splash this summer you can bet that drops. Tavares Carlson ? Probably down to 15-1

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils 40-1 to win the cup next year. That’s great odds for a team that previously made the playoffs. If the devils make a splash this summer you can bet that drops. Tavares Carlson ? Probably down to 15-1

I have put more than a little thought into placing that bet.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big congrats goes to the Capitals on winning the cup last night. I was rooting for them mostly because I live in Penguin country, so you can imagine that after two straight years of them winning, having the Caps dethrone them is some serious sour grapes in these parts! Linebackeru knows what I'm talking about hahaha.

I was impressed by Vegas, just didn't think it was fair how the expansion draft was setup to make them playoff contenders in their first year, which hadn't been the case in expansion teams of the past. Still, they had to perform this year and did so. I think this loss will only help the franchise and fanbase want more. Win win for the NHL in Vegas moving forward. Not to mention the bookies are secretly thrilled that they didn't lose their behinds had Vegas won.

Now that this year is all said and done, I'm already excited for the upcoming season which basically starts now. Draft soon, free agency after. Some telling weeks are coming quick! With Shero, I am always excited about what is to come.

I wanted the Caps to win simply because I was so sick of Pens fans fawning over Fleury, the same guy they crucified year after year when thy got bounced and he was average at best. Was glad to see him shit the bed in Finals