• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 (MLB) News & Transactions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t see it. The Giants will make a serious play at him if they are able to get under the 197 this year, but I can’t imagine him coming to the Gs. He will be paid regardless. He might as well go somewhere he can build a legacy as well. My early money is on Philly.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t see it. The Giants will make a serious play at him if they are able to get under the 197 this year, but I can’t imagine him coming to the Gs. He will be paid regardless. He might as well go somewhere he can build a legacy as well. My early money is on Philly.

That's honestly a huge point. He's going to sign a 10-year deal most likely. He goes to the place that has two of the biggest home run hitters of all time, there's some serious expectations there and maybe gets overshadowed. There's no way he becomes the greatest Giant of all-time. Even reaching those major plateaus (notably homeruns) is going to be a serious challenge at AT&T.

Sure, he may run into some of those same problems with the Yankees, but they arguably have better long-term prospects for winning championships and his offense won't take a hit there.

As you say the Phillies make sense on may levels, but Machado is probably their plan A.

*Shudders* one of the LA teams make more sense too.

There's a post-game show called Giants' Outsiders (I don't watch it too much, but it's basically just a fan engagement show) and one of the hosts said that the Giants are definitely clearing space for SOMEONE, but he doesn't think it's exclusive to Harper. We've talked about the Kershaw possibility here. Wonder who else it could be.

As more time goes by, I really wish we could have gotten Stanton.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really see him going to any Cali team. Taxes will be a MASSIVE hit for him.

And as for being “the greatest Giant ever”, heck, he would have a hard time breaking the top 5...

Bonds
Mays
McCovey
Ott
Posey
Mathewson
Marichel
Bumgarner

And for just loved players...

Clark
Lincecum
Dravecky

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who would be the “plan B”?

Marwin Gonzalez?
Michael Brantley?
Brett Gardner?
Adam Jones?
Andrew McCutchen?
Madison Bumgarner (extension)?
Clayton Kershaw?

Duggar and Gorkys will be back with Slater, Williamson and Shaw potentially rounding out the OF. I think we need at least one more body there. I would WAG that Marwin Gonzalez and Cutch would be the prime “non-Harper” targets, but neither of them are game changers. Is there an international FA coming next year that could make a difference? Maybe trade Panik to the Mets and go after Dozier or LeMahieu? Maybe make a play at Machado?

:noidea:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really see him going to any Cali team. Taxes will be a MASSIVE hit for him.

And as for being “the greatest Giant ever”, heck, he would have a hard time breaking the top 5...

Bonds
Mays
McCovey
Ott
Posey
Mathewson
Marichel
Bumgarner

Clark
Lincecum
Dravecky

I think he'll value legacy and rings over money. With sponsorship deals, the star athletes make so much more money outside of their contracts. If it's a toss-up then sure that could be the deciding factor.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll value legacy and rings over money. With sponsorship deals, the star athletes make so much more money outside of their contracts. If it's a toss-up then sure that could be the deciding factor.
Sure, but just because you have a lot, doesn’t mean you don’t want more (or more of your “a lot”).

But that said, the Giants and Dodgers both offer marketing opportunities that the Pirates and Royals don’t offer. And even more than the Angels or A’s offer. I have no idea what Harpers outside-baseball interests are. Is he Lebron, wanting to branch out into entertainment? Is he Iguadala, preferring venture capitalism? Maybe he is Jeter, just wanting night life and living it up as a playboy. The Yanks, Sox and Dodgers are probably best for a “playboy” lifestyle. The Yanks, Dogs and Giants (and maybe the Cubs??) offer good locations for Venture Capitalist opportunities. The Yanks and Dogs would be best for getting into entertainment.

He has commented, on multiple occasions, that he admires the Giants organization. But he also has a long feud with one of the current players.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bonds
Mays
McCovey
Ott
Posey
Mathewson
Marichel
Bumgarner

Clark
Lincecum
Dravecky

Whose fault is it that Whiteside isn't on your list???

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention San Francisco's growing reputation as a literally "shitty" town.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who would be the “plan B”?

Marwin Gonzalez?
Michael Brantley?
Brett Gardner?
Adam Jones?
Andrew McCutchen?
Madison Bumgarner (extension)?
Clayton Kershaw?

Duggar and Gorkys will be back with Slater, Williamson and Shaw potentially rounding out the OF. I think we need at least one more body there. I would WAG that Marwin Gonzalez and Cutch would be the prime “non-Harper” targets, but neither of them are game changers. Is there an international FA coming next year that could make a difference? Maybe trade Panik to the Mets and go after Dozier or LeMahieu? Maybe make a play at Machado?

:noidea:
Considering that this team won't rebuild, if they are going to put in money for one of these guys, I hope its Bumgarner. Most of these guys are going to be costly, and I don't see any of them making this team championship caliber except maybe Kershaw for a year or two. And given the choice between high payroll mediocrity, I'd much rather was a lifetime Giant play out the string of his career with the Giants then an ex-Dodger (no Schmidt payback, please). Kershaw's injuries these past couple of years scream, to me, huge overpay. Let the Dodgers, or someone else, do that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that this team won't rebuild, if they are going to put in money for one of these guys, I hope its Bumgarner. Most of these guys are going to be costly, and I don't see any of them making this team championship caliber except maybe Kershaw for a year or two. And given the choice between high payroll mediocrity, I'd much rather was a lifetime Giant play out the string of his career with the Giants then an ex-Dodger (no Schmidt payback, please). Kershaw's injuries these past couple of years scream, to me, huge overpay. Let the Dodgers, or someone else, do that.
I don’t want them to go after Kershaw OR Bum, but at least extending Bum keeps him a Giant, even if the back half will be more Cain/Timmeh than any semblance of an Ace.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want them to go after Kershaw OR Bum, but at least extending Bum keeps him a Giant, even if the back half will be more Cain/Timmeh than any semblance of an Ace.
I'm trying to be a realist, knowing the Giants WANT to throw money at someone this offseason. If they are going to do that, make Bumgarner a Giant for life. Yeah, it will stink to watch the money be wasted, but at least he's getting paid for what he's done with the Giants, not for excellence spent with another team.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fox looks like he's developing into a Juan Pierre.

271 games, 7 homers.

He's having a very nice season so far, though. A 10.4% walk rate with that power is pretty excellent. .282/.371/.353 with 23 steals.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current longest tenured MLB manager. Can you guess who's the next longest (and soon to be longest)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current longest tenured MLB manager. Can you guess who's the next longest (and soon to be longest)?

I expect Boch to retire after this year as well, so I don’t think he will be the longest tenured, except maybe technically for a short time during the off season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Boch to retire after this year as well, so I don’t think he will be the longest tenured, except maybe technically for a short time during the off season.

I think he goes one more year.

He's 91 wins away from 2000, a mark I think he wants to reach (also 90 away from 2000 losses). He can jump into the top-10 in pretty much all meaningful categories with one more season (even a 'meh' season if the Giants finish around .500 this year).

At the same time, I wouldn't be totally shocked it this is his last year

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if that happens, that would leave Ned Yost and, closely behind him, Buck Showalter as longest continuous managers for one team. Neither are very secure in their jobs either.