• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 (MLB) News & Transactions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow. I looked him up and he's gotten torched in 5 of his last 6 outings and wasn't looking great before then. Good thing the Giants let him go when they did. I was surprised, though, that they didn't get anything back for him. I would guess that they at least tried.
It was a bit of a shocker when they let him go to the Bucs last year, but the season was lost and he had some money on his contract.

I didn’t realize he was sucking for the Bucs. I think I looked him up earlier in the year and saw he was doing OK for them...

:noidea:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denard Span off to the Mariners in a trade with the Rays. Seems the M's want some more depth in the outfield with Cano and Gordon down.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsurprisingly, Snelten was claimed off waivers. Baltimore got him.
:scratch:

One of those moves where I don’t see the brilliance of the PsTB. I trust them and believe they know more than I do. But my mistaken opinion is that that was a mistake.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers release Tim Lincecum after his rehab stint reach the 30-day limit
He was given the choice to assignment an assignment to AAA or be granted his release. Obviously, we know which choice he made.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gs have to try and sign him, no?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants released Trevor Brown from AAA
They had three poor hitting catchers there - Brown, Ronnie Freeman and Ryan Hanigan. I guess they decided that Brown was around longer than the others so might as well get rid of him. They needed to make room for Gregor Blanco so someone had to go.

Oh, they also recently released Kyle Jensen too. Seems that he put in a season's worth of hitting in spring training. His numbers in AAA weren't much better than Brown's.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had three poor hitting catchers there - Brown, Ronnie Freeman and Ryan Hanigan. I guess they decided that Brown was around longer than the others so might as well get rid of him. They needed to make room for Gregor Blanco so someone had to go.

Oh, they also recently released Kyle Jensen too. Seems that he put in a season's worth of hitting in spring training. His numbers in AAA weren't much better than Brown's.

Yeah the Giants had an emergency situation where they needed a some catchers all of a sudden. Now they're all healthy and I guess the Giants liked the other guys more than Brown.

Something happened to Brown after 2016 and he just completely lost it. Shame

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Giants had an emergency situation where they needed a some catchers all of a sudden. Now they're all healthy and I guess the Giants liked the other guys more than Brown.

It didn't make any sense at the time why the Giants brought Hundley in when Brown looked good as the back up. They obviously saw something we didn't and made the right call. Sometimes those moves go the way we expect and sometimes (thankfully) they go a lot better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was always in the Eli/Stewart mold (all catch, no bat). He put in one full season in the bigs. That is not bad for a AAA/AAAA player.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this in interesting. Ken Rosenthal reported that the Giants placed Cory Gearrin on waivers last week or so, mostly in an attempt to hope he's claimed and save his nearly $1m left in salary. Obviously he cleared waivers unclaimed and remained with the team.

Two things:

One, this shows that at least the Giants are being real about Gearrin and might try to trade him. Whew!

Two, this shows that the Giants are tight against the luxury tax bill and are trying to find ways to get under it. This was the main takeaway from Rosenthal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this in interesting. Ken Rosenthal reported that the Giants placed Cory Gearrin on waivers last week or so, mostly in an attempt to hope he's claimed and save his nearly $1m left in salary. Obviously he cleared waivers unclaimed and remained with the team.

Two things:

One, this shows that at least the Giants are being real about Gearrin and might try to trade him. Whew!

Two, this shows that the Giants are tight against the luxury tax bill and are trying to find ways to get under it. This was the main takeaway from Rosenthal.

This is the second time something like this has happened this year. How are they able to place someone on waivers without removing them from the 40? I thought at this point of the season that went hand in hand?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the second time something like this has happened this year. How are they able to place someone on waivers without removing them from the 40? I thought at this point of the season that went hand in hand?

Yeah we'll need @MarcoPolo on this one. I was confused as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two things:

That sounds like revocable waivers but my understanding, and COTs backs this up, that can only happen between August 1st and November 10th. Players don't need to go through waivers for a trade to happen outside that period so revocable waivers cannot be used. The only other two types of waivers are unconditional release waivers and irrevocable outright waivers. Neither allows a player to be on an active roster any longer. I wonder if Rosenthal meant the FO floated his name through the trade rumor mill and found no takers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds like revocable waivers but my understanding, and COTs backs this up, that can only happen between August 1st and November 10th. Players don't need to go through waivers for a trade to happen outside that period so revocable waivers cannot be used. The only other two types of waivers are unconditional release waivers and irrevocable outright waivers. Neither allows a player to be on an active roster any longer. I wonder if Rosenthal meant the FO floated his name through the trade rumor mill and found no takers.
But they did it with Blanco as well. That’s why I don’t think it is a typo/misunderstanding. I think the rules have actually changed this year.