• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 FREE AGENT POOL

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL wisely moved the FA period ahead of the draft a couple of years ago.

Teams now can address holes with vets prior to the draft. PIT has a pretty clear agenda from this offseason...ILB, FS and Bell.

I think there's a good chance Colbert will try to cure one or both of these needs in FA and the draft....looking at the potential FAs a LB...it looks like they may fare better in FA with a FS.

2018 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Some guys brought up Tre Boston...I like this option a lot more than bringing back Mitchell.

2018 NFL Free Agents Tracker

@FaCe-LeE-uS brought Todd Davis...DEN will probably be more focused on a QB this FA period...maybe this guy can be a plug in in PIT. Kevin Minter is another name...Avery Williamson from TN is another candidate.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston or Davis would be a homerun in my book. Acquiring both would be a grand slam.

I'm not entirely on board with a FA CB unless they can be brought in for decent money on a 2-3 yr contract to soften the cap hit. I think a player like Tre Boston would make Artie Burns so much better. Look at what a player like Earl Thomas does for the Seattle secondary. He himself makes that entire unit look good without Sherman on the field. Boston is a great player and young. Hasn't even hit his prime yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston or Davis would be a homerun in my book. Acquiring both would be a grand slam.

I'm not entirely on board with a FA CB unless they can be brought in for decent money on a 2-3 yr contract to soften the cap hit. I think a player like Tre Boston would make Artie Burns so much better. Look at what a player like Earl Thomas does for the Seattle secondary. He himself makes that entire unit look good without Sherman on the field. Boston is a great player and young. Hasn't even hit his prime yet.

I'm concerned about Mitchell taking a paycut to stay....If Tomlin asks he will probably do it.

I'd really like to see them improve the FS spot with a guy like Boston...yes, a real safety net would make a huge difference on the backend. the draft is offering some good potential prospects for one or the other at 28.

CB...yeah I saw Mitchell's name come up, that would be a trade situation and he might go pretty cheaply, but I'm still okay with the CB spot even though I'm not totally satisfied with the results...Burns needs to play better in yr 3.

If I made a run in FA it would be after ILB/Edge or FS.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm concerned about Mitchell taking a paycut to stay....If Tomlin asks he will probably do it.

I'd really like to see them improve the FS spot with a guy like Boston...yes, a real safety net would make a huge difference on the backend. the draft is offering some good potential prospects for one or the other at 28.

CB...yeah I saw Mitchell's name come up, that would be a trade situation and he might go pretty cheaply, but I'm still okay with the CB spot even though I'm not totally satisfied with the results...Burns needs to play better in yr 3.

If I made a run in FA it would be after ILB/Edge or FS.
I have a feeling Mitchell will take a paycut to stay. I highly doubt anyone will come calling for a has-been that appears to be in rapid decline, and has a huge ego. If I were a GM I'd only bring him in for depth on a league minimum. Paying him anything close to starter money would be foolish.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Mitchell will take a paycut to stay. I highly doubt anyone will come calling for a has-been that appears to be in rapid decline, and has a huge ego. If I were a GM I'd only bring him in for depth on a league minimum. Paying him anything close to starter money would be foolish.

Yep...that's my fear. They're going to look at some other options for sure, but it could come down to money and if asked to take half or less, like you said, what other choices will he have?

Let's hope we they never cross that bridge...just release the guy and move on.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to take a look at Dion Lewis at RB position. Even if Bell stays, Conner is injury prone with 2 knee surgeries on 2 years on the same knee. Need some depth there. Bell and Lewis would be a good duo. Dion Lewis doesn't have the numbers but that's because the Patriots had 5 RBs going at the same time. But he was 104 yards away from 1,000 this year, 5 ypc and he's a decent enough catching back.

I'd look at Boston but his years in Carolina weren't that good and that Carolina defense was stellar the last few years.

I would love if the Steelers took a chance on Malcolm Butler from New England. Very good talent there and seems like there's some tension between him and the Pats as to what happened to get him benched during the Super Bowl.

I would also like the Steelers to look at some free agent WRs instead of drafting one this year. Mike Wallace is a FA and I'd love to have him back. He's still got the speed and combined with AB and JuJu? What a fucking corps right there. If you're looking to get younger WR talent, Paul Richardson and Sammy Watkins jump off the page to me. Richardson is one of Seattle's best and Watkins has the potential to be a great WR, he just needs a QB that knows how to throw the ball to him.

When it comes to free agent LBs, I'd like for the Steelers to try and make a move on guys like Posluzny from Jacksonville, Brown from Washington and Bostic from the Colts. Posluzny would be the cheaper option. He's 33 and probably nearing the end of his career and finally got a taste of the postseason. Bostic and Brown have age on their side, both being in their mid-20's and they put up from pretty good numbers this year.

Our needs, in my opinion, go like this:

Secondary
Linebacker
Everything else

Yes, we should get some decent talent in the draft, but we should also try and make some moves with free agents. I would like for us not to draft a WR this year. Don't really see the need in it right now even if guys like Hunter and DHB aren't with the team next year. I think our best chances at getting decent talent at the WR position is through free agency.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to take a look at Dion Lewis at RB position. Even if Bell stays, Conner is injury prone with 2 knee surgeries on 2 years on the same knee. Need some depth there. Bell and Lewis would be a good duo. Dion Lewis doesn't have the numbers but that's because the Patriots had 5 RBs going at the same time. But he was 104 yards away from 1,000 this year, 5 ypc and he's a decent enough catching back.

I'd look at Boston but his years in Carolina weren't that good and that Carolina defense was stellar the last few years.

I would love if the Steelers took a chance on Malcolm Butler from New England. Very good talent there and seems like there's some tension between him and the Pats as to what happened to get him benched during the Super Bowl.

I would also like the Steelers to look at some free agent WRs instead of drafting one this year. Mike Wallace is a FA and I'd love to have him back. He's still got the speed and combined with AB and JuJu? What a fucking corps right there. If you're looking to get younger WR talent, Paul Richardson and Sammy Watkins jump off the page to me. Richardson is one of Seattle's best and Watkins has the potential to be a great WR, he just needs a QB that knows how to throw the ball to him.

When it comes to free agent LBs, I'd like for the Steelers to try and make a move on guys like Posluzny from Jacksonville, Brown from Washington and Bostic from the Colts. Posluzny would be the cheaper option. He's 33 and probably nearing the end of his career and finally got a taste of the postseason. Bostic and Brown have age on their side, both being in their mid-20's and they put up from pretty good numbers this year.

Secondary
Linebacker
Everything else

Yes, we should get some decent talent in the draft, but we should also try and make some moves with free agents. I would like for us not to draft a WR this year. Don't really see the need in it right now even if guys like Hunter and DHB aren't with the team next year. I think our best chances at getting decent talent at the WR position is through free agency.
You sound like a kid a toy store Terry lol. The cap situation this year is far too strict to go on shopping sprees like this. If they do not retain Bell then they could get most of what you want done. But you are in the "sign Bell at whatever cost" boat so shopping FA is not really a reality this offseason unless you want to borderline overhaul the roster. And honestly do they really need a WR? Where would someone like Mike Wallace even fit in? He'd be a WR4 at best unless Marty B gets shipped out. How much would you be willing to pay a part-time role playing WR4? League minimum would be ideal. Ben makes even the most pedestrian UDFA's look starting caliber so its not like they need an influx of talent. They will be just fine with AB, Juju & Marty B again. I'd go with the cheaper options by addressing most, if not all the needs in the draft. At least for this year. Once the cap lightens up next offseason they could go after someone since Marty B will be a UFA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Secondary
Linebacker
Everything else

Good post.

RB...I get where you're coming from on Connor, but if Bell comes back, you will have way too much cash tied up into the RB position to bring in a $2-3 mil vet....if said FA is less than 2 mil...I can look him.

Boston...his best season was last yr, but I think he's improved from his rookie contract days in CAR....he's not a break the bank player, but he's better than Mitchell right now, and might actually be cheaper.

WR...with DHB, Hunter and Rogers all leaving most likely, this makes sense to me as well, but I think we're targeting too high....Watkins is still a #1 at worse a #2...no way PIT will have that kind of cash to pay a FA.***edited to add*** Tyler Gabriel would be a good slot option.

Butler...I think they would have to trade to get Butler, but if you could pull that off I assume you would sit Burns? Going into his 3rd season...I'd like to see if he's worth a second contract.

LB...I like Brown...Posluzny will make tackles, 3 or 4 yds down field, but imo won't make many impact plays.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like a kid a toy store Terry lol. The cap situation this year is far too strict to go on shopping sprees like this. If they do not retain Bell then they could get most of what you want done. But you are in the "sign Bell at whatever cost" boat so shopping FA is not really a reality this offseason unless you want to borderline overhaul the roster. And honestly do they really need a WR? Where would someone like Mike Wallace even fit in? He'd be a WR4 at best unless Marty B gets shipped out. How much would you be willing to pay a part-time role playing WR4? League minimum would be ideal. Ben makes even the most pedestrian UDFA's look starting caliber so its not like they need an influx of talent. They will be just fine with AB, Juju & Marty B again. I'd go with the cheaper options by addressing most, if not all the needs in the draft. At least for this year. Once the cap lightens up next offseason they could go after someone since Marty B will be a UFA.

He spelled it all out...we can't do much of it, but it looks good.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha yeah I mean there are a lot of shiny new options out there this year. I know we cant get them all, probably not even more than 2 FAs. I think it all depends on if Bell is signed or not. If we keep bell, I'd try to go for the free agent safeties and cornerbacks first and fast. Just think of it this way, Sutton, Allen, Golson, Davis, Burns, Grant. Those are the CBs and Safeties we've drafted since 2016.

Brian Allen - 5th CB on depth chart, 2 tackles
Cameron Sutton - injured til late in the season, 5 tackles
Senquez Golson - Hasn't played a single game
Doran Grant - didn't make the team

Burns and Davis are the only guys that have done anything and Burns isn't panning out like he should. We need to draft our secondary much better.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all need to remember the Steelers MO in FA. Very few big splashes. That said the one position the have signed consecutive FA starters at is Mitchell's. If they cut bait with him I expect another FA starter signee at that position. However, if he takes a pay cut, they will let him play out his contract and just not resign him next year and go after a FA starter next year.

As for RB, if Bell resigns, then maybe a low-level vet backup but if he leaves I could see them making Connor the starter and signing a mid to high level vet backup like Gore or Lewis for insurance. They know where Connor is in his rehab and we don't, so watch what they do there and it should hint at how Connor is doing and what they expect from him next season. I think it's more likely NE resigns Lewis and cuts Gillespie since he seemed odd man out once everyone was healthy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yeah I mean there are a lot of shiny new options out there this year. I know we cant get them all, probably not even more than 2 FAs. I think it all depends on if Bell is signed or not. If we keep bell, I'd try to go for the free agent safeties and cornerbacks first and fast. Just think of it this way, Sutton, Allen, Golson, Davis, Burns, Grant. Those are the CBs and Safeties we've drafted since 2016.

Burns and Davis are the only guys that have done anything and Burns isn't panning out like he should. We need to draft our secondary much better.
I hear ya. We touched on it a little earlier this week, and a bit last month, but I think Butler/Lake/Tomlin need to realize how much better the back end could be if they brought in a gamechanging talent at FS. That could go a long ways towards solving CB issues they appear to routinely have. Remember what Ryan Clark did for Ike Taylor's career? Same difference could be made for Burns & Co if they brought in a true FS with coverage/awareness skills. With a FS like that you wouldn't need to pay $10mil plus to a CB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all need to remember the Steelers MO in FA. Very few big splashes. That said the one position the have signed consecutive FA starters at is Mitchell's. If they cut bait with him I expect another FA starter signee at that position. However, if he takes a pay cut, they will let him play out his contract and just not resign him next year and go after a FA starter next year.

As for RB, if Bell resigns, then maybe a low-level vet backup but if he leaves I could see them making Connor the starter and signing a mid to high level vet backup like Gore or Lewis for insurance. They know where Connor is in his rehab and we don't, so watch what they do there and it should hint at how Connor is doing and what they expect from him next season. I think it's more likely NE resigns Lewis and cuts Gillespie since he seemed odd man out once everyone was healthy.
That MO is far & away different nowadays though. Just look at the FA acquisitions over the last 5 years or so. That trend is definitely molding towards the rest of the NFL. Steelers don't appear to be afraid of spending money in FA anymore.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Steelers for a decade seemingly approached the CB position with mid to late round draft picks. I think Curtis Brown was the highest drafted CB prior to Burns.

I think they have the best collection of young talent at CB with Burns, Sutton, and Hilton we've seen in a long time. Burns is not a lock for a 2nd contract yet, and neither is Davis at SS, but I think there's a good chance they will up their games in yr 3. I wouldn't spend big FA money here this season.

They gave Wilcox and Sensabaugh decent midlevel contracts...If Mitchell is released I think they will reinvest that money in a FA to replace him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did spend it on the TE Green, the Hightower interest I think was real. Haden is not coming cheap either...for the most part they don't go after the big fish, but as the clock winds down on Ben's career, they have gotten more aggressive.

My guess is they will land a LB and S in FA, neither may be names we've been talking about but it largely depends on what Tomlin thinks of them.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did spend it on the TE Green, the Hightower interest I think was real. Haden is not coming cheap either...for the most part they don't go after the big fish, but as the clock winds down on Ben's career, they have gotten more aggressive.

My guess is they will land a LB and S in FA, neither may be names we've been talking about but it largely depends on what Tomlin thinks of them.
There were always some exceptions such as Kevin Greene. And Clarke and Mitchell at safety. I expect them to bring in a high level safety FA if they let Mitchell go.