• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donte Jackson and Denzel Ward the fastest amongst DBs right now. 4.32 for both of them. Shaquem Griffin could be a great LB. Stud athlete from a non power 5 conference. Vander Esch was not impressive during the combine. Tremaine Edmunds was pretty decent. Just don't really see him available at 28. Big Jerome Baker fan now too. Could be a pretty decent 2nd round choice. Right now I want Justin Reid or Derwin James. At 28, James won't be there, but Reid might.

Reid or James...James will be gone for sure at 28, but a lot of people are impressed with Reid. At this point I'd be on board with that pick.

Vander Esch...ran a 4.65 might be better suited for the Buck job, that's pretty good time for a man his size...not sure what his other measureables were.

I'm joining you on Baker's fan club.

I'm not sure what to think Griffin, yet, but he's put his name on the map. I hope he get's a shot.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid or James...James will be gone for sure at 28, but a lot of people are impressed with Reid. At this point I'd be on board with that pick.

Vander Esch...ran a 4.65 might be better suited for the Buck job, that's pretty good time for a man his size...not sure what his other measureables were.

I'm joining you on Baker's fan club.

I'm not sure what to think Griffin, yet, but he's put his name on the map. I hope he get's a shot.

Leighton Vander Esch Combine State:
40 Yard Dash
4.65 SECONDS - 15th amongst all LBs

Bench Press
20.0 REPS - 13th amongst all LBs

Vertical Jump
39.5 INCHES - 3rd amongst all LBs

Broad Jump
124.0 INCHES - 6th amongst all LBs

3 Cone Drill
6.88 SECONDS - 12th amongst all LBs

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leighton Vander Esch Combine State:
40 Yard Dash
4.65 SECONDS - 15th amongst all LBs

Bench Press
20.0 REPS - 13th amongst all LBs

Vertical Jump
39.5 INCHES - 3rd amongst all LBs

Broad Jump
124.0 INCHES - 6th amongst all LBs

3 Cone Drill
6.88 SECONDS - 12th amongst all LBs

Not bad...he should be able to play in this league as a starter.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Reid ran a 4.44s 40... Kid's got wheels!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jessie Bates ran a 4.51s 40... He's definitely my 2nd Rd target if we pass on Reid.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tenor.gif

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulked up and still ran well. That bodes well for his draft grade IMO. Only concern is he was a 1-year starter. But considering it was enough to give him a 1st-2nd Rd draft grade that means the ceiling is ridiculously high. Same sentiment I had with TJ Watt coming out of Wisconsin.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liking what I'm seeing from CB's Alexander & Ward today. I know they don't have a shot at Ward after the 1st Rd, but Alexander has a 2-3 Rd projection.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulked up and still ran well. That bodes well for his draft grade IMO. Only concern is he was a 1-year starter. But considering it was enough to give him a 1st-2nd Rd draft grade that means the ceiling is ridiculously high. Same sentiment I had with TJ Watt coming out of Wisconsin.
That said... i still like Rashaan Evans better.

My ILBs:
1. Smith
2. Edmunds
3. Evans
4. LVE
5. Undecided

Jerome Baker... With you guys... Hype train is in motion. Haven't watched any film yet though. Listed as an OLB.

Malik Jefferson... Did not disappoint yesterday. Ran a 4.51s 40. Same speed as Roquan Smith. Wouldn't consider him in the 1st Rd though. I'm struggling to justify LVE in the 1st Rd as well.

Dorian O'Daniel... His lateral agility is amazingly quick. Finished 1st in the 20yd shuttle. But his 40 time was 4.61s. That quad injury that hampered him during the senior bowl might still be an issue. Vertical jump was lacking (15th) too. T-9th in Broad Jump. Still a raw prospect that needs to learn a lot to be a starter at the NFL level. But the potential is there.

Fred Warner... This guy jumped out at me yesterday. 6'3" 240lbs... Ran a 4.64 (13th), and ranked T-4th in both the vertical jump & 60 yd shuttle. Tied for 6th in Bench Press @21 reps. Tied for 9th in Broad Jump @119". Kid checks all the boxes. He's listed as an OLB, but has experience at ILB. Watched some tape and I was impressed. How he's not projected as a 2nd or 3rd Round pick is beyond me. Currently projected in 4-6. I have a feeling after the combine he'll be a 3rd.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said... i still like Rashaan Evans better.

My ILBs:
1. Smith
2. Edmunds
3. Evans
4. LVE
5. Undecided

Jerome Baker... With you guys... Hype train is in motion. Haven't watched any film yet though. Listed as an OLB.

Malik Jefferson... Did not disappoint yesterday. Ran a 4.51s 40. Same speed as Roquan Smith. Wouldn't consider him in the 1st Rd though. I'm struggling to justify LVE in the 1st Rd as well.

Dorian O'Daniel... His lateral agility is amazingly quick. Finished 1st in the 20yd shuttle. But his 40 time was 4.61s. That quad injury that hampered him during the senior bowl might still be an issue. Vertical jump was lacking (15th) too. T-9th in Broad Jump. Still a raw prospect that needs to learn a lot to be a starter at the NFL level. But the potential is there.

Fred Warner... This guy jumped out at me yesterday. 6'3" 240lbs... Ran a 4.64 (13th), and ranked T-4th in both the vertical jump & 60 yd shuttle. Tied for 6th in Bench Press @21 reps. Tied for 9th in Broad Jump @119". Kid checks all the boxes. He's listed as an OLB, but has experience at ILB. Watched some tape and I was impressed. How he's not projected as a 2nd or 3rd Round pick is beyond me. Currently projected in 4-6. I have a feeling after the combine he'll be a 3rd.

I think for a traditional Mack...Smith is probably my top prospect also, but Edmunds is a different animal. Bigger, but reminds me of this LB on the Falcons...DeVondre Campbell...long rangy, athletic kid...he ran a high 4.5...2nd yr player whose coming on strong...imo he's the new prototypical modern coverage LB...6'4"...235-240 agile.

I like Evans, and LVE, but I still think I would move off ILB if Smith and Edmunds were gone. With Justin Reid running a 4.4...I think I would shift to him @ 28.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for a traditional Mack...Smith is probably my top prospect also, but Edmunds is a different animal. Bigger, but reminds me of this LB on the Falcons...DeVondre Campbell...long rangy, athletic kid...he ran a high 4.5...2nd yr player whose coming on strong...imo he's the new prototypical modern coverage LB...6'4"...235-240 agile.

I like Evans, and LVE, but I still think I would move off ILB if Smith and Edmunds were gone. With Justin Reid running a 4.4...I think I would shift to him @ 28.
Looks like our mock strategy is coming into focus here ATL! lol

Evans or Reid are the likely candidates that we'll be waffling on. Can't go wrong with either IMO. Would love to land a player like Reid. Been beating this drum often this offseason but we need a cerebral player at FS and he fits the bill perfectly. If Colbert gets the Bell deal done and grabs a ILB in FA, then all systems go on Reid in the draft.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like our mock strategy is coming into focus here ATL! lol

Evans or Reid are the likely candidates that we'll be waffling on. Can't go wrong with either IMO. Would love to land a player like Reid. Been beating this drum often this offseason but we need a cerebral player at FS and he fits the bill perfectly. If Colbert gets the Bell deal done and grabs a ILB in FA, then all systems go on Reid in the draft.

The unfortunate question that we need to answer is, if we fill the secondary hole, can we trust we can get a decent LB at 60. Also, if we fill the LB role, can we trust we can get a decent CB/Safety in the 2nd round at 60.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The unfortunate question that we need to answer is, if we fill the secondary hole, can we trust we can get a decent LB at 60. Also, if we fill the LB role, can we trust we can get a decent CB/Safety in the 2nd round at 60.
Definitely what it boils down to. And FA all hinges on the Bell deal. Get the contract done and free up the cap space to go after 'big' fish in FA to help fill those voids... Or tag him and be forced to clear a bunch of cap space to get any breathing room to explore FA.

I don't know enough about the 2nd Rd crop yet to make a case... But right now I have my eyes on FS Jessie Bates in the 2nd Rd... Players like ILBs O'Daniel & Warner could be available in the 2nd but I don't know much about them other than brief discussions in here & combine stats. Need to watch game film.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go. First post-combine mock drafts:

CBS Sports and Bleacher Report: Rashaan Evans, LB from Alabama

DraftTek.com, Daniel Jeremiah from NFL.com, Mel Kiper from ESPN, SB Nation and Walter Football: Leighton Vander Esch, LB from Boise State

Land of 10: Malik Jefferson, LB from Texas

Yahoo Sports: Mike Hughes, CB from UCF

BusinessInsider.com - Derrius Guice, RB from LSU

The more time goes by, the more I'm really leaning towards RB. Especially now due to the tagging of Bell. I still think LB or FS/CB should be our main go-to position.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning towards drafting a RB as high as the 2nd, but not in the 1st. But I'm going to wait & see how FA unfolds. Not getting my hopes up with how strapped the team is after tagging Bell. They would have to cut a ton of weight off the roster in order to explore FA.

I think by this Friday we will start to see a bunch of fat getting trimmed off the roster.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning towards drafting a RB as high as the 2nd, but not in the 1st. But I'm going to wait & see how FA unfolds. Not getting my hopes up with how strapped the team is after tagging Bell. They would have to cut a ton of weight off the roster in order to explore FA.

I think by this Friday we will start to see a bunch of fat getting trimmed off the roster.

FS in free agency are pretty scarce. Tre Boston and Jarius Byrd might be the best options and Byrd is over 30. Boston would be the best bet. For RB, Dion Lewis is at the top of my list. Followed by Jeremy Hill and Jerick McKinnon. McKinnon would be the cheapest. Lewis would probably cost about $4-5M to sign him. There are a plethora of ILBs in free agency. Zach Brown, Navarro Bowman, Jon Bostic, Demario Davis. Davis and Bostic would be cheap as well.

Warning: Opinions may lie ahead. You may or may not agree with them. Viewer discretion is advised.

I think we should sign an ILB in FA, draft a CB at 28, draft another ILB in the 2nd and possibly get a RB in the 3rd. But the team has to act like Bell really will sit the season after being tagged.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go. First post-combine mock drafts:

CBS Sports and Bleacher Report: Rashaan Evans, LB from Alabama

DraftTek.com, Daniel Jeremiah from NFL.com, Mel Kiper from ESPN, SB Nation and Walter Football: Leighton Vander Esch, LB from Boise State

Land of 10: Malik Jefferson, LB from Texas

Yahoo Sports: Mike Hughes, CB from UCF

BusinessInsider.com - Derrius Guice, RB from LSU

The more time goes by, the more I'm really leaning towards RB. Especially now due to the tagging of Bell. I still think LB or FS/CB should be our main go-to position.

Most likely the FA money for a FS or ILB went with Bell's tag so I think we can expect them to go with LB or FS at 28. Bell puts them over the cap, so whenever this deal officially hits the books, we can expect to see some cuts around that same time...I expect a slew of cuts.

They have met with Guice, but I think 60 would be where they would pick RB...if asked this before but if Guice, Evans, LVE, and Reid are all on the board...what do they do? I think they would go FS...I would.