• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 coaches on the hot seat

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else deserves to be on this list?

4. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt:
Things were trending in the right direction going into the 2017 season. Mason's Vandy teams had improved in each of the last two seasons, reaching their first bowl game under Mason after a 6-6 regular season in 2016. But then 2017 came, and in a year in which the SEC East was an utter crapshoot behind Georgia, the Commodores regressed, finishing 5-7 and only 1-7 in the SEC. Sure, that one win came against Tennessee, which always feels good, but those positive feelings only carry so far.

I don't want to say it's "bowl game or bust" for Mason in 2018, as he did receive a contract extension recently, but if there isn't a noticeable step forward in Year Five, then Vanderbilt could look to make a change.

3. Kalani Sitake, BYU: Things took a major turn for the worse in Sitake's second season at BYU, as the Cougars followed up a 9-4 campaign in 2016 with a 4-9 record last year. And while losing is one thing, it's taken to another level entirely when your offense is putrid.

And BYU's offense was rather odorous in 2017, averaging only 17.1 points per game (and 8.2 PPG in its six games against teams that finished with a winning record).

Making matters worse for Sitake is that Navy's Ken Niumatalolo sure has shown a lot of interest in leaving Navy lately. Just this past offseason, it looked as though Niumatalolo was destined for Arizona before a change of heart (on which side isn't clear). If BYU struggles again in 2018 and Niumatalolo continues to succeed at Navy, there will be plenty of voices calling to bring Niumatalolo -- a Mormon -- to BYU.

2. David Beaty, Kansas: Nobody thought David Beaty was going to step into the Kansas job and immediately turn things around. It's one of the most difficult Power Five jobs in the country for a variety of reasons.

The problem for Beaty is that, as he enters Year Four, there haven't been any signs of progress yet. The Jayhawks are 3-33 in his three seasons, and that includes a 1-26 record in the Big 12. The school has recently made a large financial commitment to improving its football facilities, and it looks like Kansas is ready to do what it has to do to improve its football program.

Another winless season in the Big 12 might mean finding a new coach is another step in that process.

1. Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: This is an odd situation to get a read on, because if Kliff Kingsbury wasn't Kliff Kingsbury -- a beloved Texas Tech alum seen as a savior upon his arrival -- I'm pretty sure he'd already been replaced in Lubbock. So I don't know how long the leash truly is, but the fact of the matter is that things have not gone according to plan.

In Kingsbury's first season at Texas Tech in 2013, the Red Raiders went 8-5 overall and 4-5 in the Big 12. Things haven't been that good since.

There have been only two bowl games in the last four seasons, and last year's came because of a win against Texas to finish the regular season. Through five years, Kingsbury has gone 30-33 overall and 16-29 in the Big 12. I just don't think that's what Texas Tech is looking for.

Now, if there's good news, it's that the Tech defense seemed to be trending in the right direction last season. If that side of the ball takes another step forward, it should lead to major improvements for Tech because we know the offense will be fine. It always is.

But if the defense doesn't improve, it might be time for Tech to find somebody who can get the job done.

Honorable Mention: Scottie Montgomery, East Carolina; Barry Odom, Missouri; Ed Orgeron, LSU; Lovie Smith, Illinois

Friday Five: College football coaches on the hot seat entering the 2018 season

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I removed Harbaugh because anyone with half a brain knows he isn't going to be fired regardless of how the season plays out.

I am surprised at the addition of Barry Odom for Mizzu. They had a strong turnaround last year and expectations can't be that high there?

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. David Beaty, Kansas: Nobody thought David Beaty was going to step into the Kansas job and immediately turn things around. It's one of the most difficult Power Five jobs in the country for a variety of reasons.

The problem for Beaty is that, as he enters Year Four, there haven't been any signs of progress yet. The Jayhawks are 3-33 in his three seasons, and that includes a 1-26 record in the Big 12. The school has recently made a large financial commitment to improving its football facilities, and it looks like Kansas is ready to do what it has to do to improve its football program.

Another winless season in the Big 12 might mean finding a new coach is another step in that process.
Hard to believe Kansas was 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win over VA Tech in 2007.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,001.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing nobody can turn around Kansas. Well, Mark Mangino did briefly before he was shown the door.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,001.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas should go to Mangino and ask him if he learned his lesson and invite him back.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“The Jayhawks are are 3-33 in 3 seasons including a 1-26 record in the Big 12”
2669gj.jpg

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised at the addition of Barry Odom for Mizzu. They had a strong turnaround last year and expectations can't be that high there?
They didn't beat a single ranked team last year and the teams they beat didn't go to a bowl.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie Smith of Illinois needs to be more than an HM. At the minimum he should replace
Mason on that list. Make Mason an HM.

Dana Holgorsen of WVU should be listed somewhere. He's come nowhere near returning them
to a contender. They have to be getting tired of him.

I didn't look at any of the Group of 5 teams.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to coacheshotseat.com, Beaty, Kingsbury, and Sitake are three of the top five. I agree with your assessment for the most part. BYU is a mess and I didn't think they would have taken such a step back. Kansas is Kansas, it's close to time for them to change it up, but who knows. Perhaps they will just hold on to him til their commitment to football is realized. Kingsbury is in that strange situation of loyalty yet a need for progress (similar worries I have for Frost at Nebraska).

If I had to add anyone, I would say that Larry Fedora can't afford another season like the one he just had. Scottie Montgomery's time has to be ticking away as well after back to back 3-9 seasons. It is East Carolina so there is more leeway than other schools, but East Carolina is typically better than 3 wins, same for North Carolina.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Harbaugh should be on the hot seat but I think he may leave after this season if Michigan doesn't make any strides this yr.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,001.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to coacheshotseat.com, Beaty, Kingsbury, and Sitake are three of the top five. I agree with your assessment for the most part. BYU is a mess and I didn't think they would have taken such a step back. Kansas is Kansas, it's close to time for them to change it up, but who knows. Perhaps they will just hold on to him til their commitment to football is realized. Kingsbury is in that strange situation of loyalty yet a need for progress (similar worries I have for Frost at Nebraska).

If I had to add anyone, I would say that Larry Fedora can't afford another season like the one he just had. Scottie Montgomery's time has to be ticking away as well after back to back 3-9 seasons. It is East Carolina so there is more leeway than other schools, but East Carolina is typically better than 3 wins, same for North Carolina.

Just what tHoop needed......another Husker fan.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Tech may be one of the hardest P5 schools to recruit to. Probably ranks 8th in the Big12 in terms of attractiveness of the job.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I removed Harbaugh because anyone with half a brain knows he isn't going to be fired regardless of how the season plays out.

That probably has more to do with who the Tigers beat to end the year then having the bowl game flop. He's not getting fired unless the bottom completely falls out, but a 5-7 year in Lock's final year puts him right back near the top of this list.

Expectations are actually higher than since probably 2014 given it's Lock/Beckner's senior year and the only real losses are J'Mon Moore and Marcell Frazier.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou has much bigger problems than worrying about winning or losing football games.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 and 2 are wrong.
Suddenly, everyone thinks Coach Bro has found a Defense.
I don't think so.

The Kansas coach won't last past game 8 of next year.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 and 2 are wrong.
Suddenly, everyone thinks Coach Bro has found a Defense.
I don't think so.

The Kansas coach won't last past game 8 of next year.

They played better than abysmal last year......so everyone is giving him credit. Their offense hasn't been stellar under him either. Couldn't win with Mahomes, and booted Mayfield from the program.......not sure he should have a job right now personally, but it's Tech, so I don't really care.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else deserves to be on this list?

4. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt:
Things were trending in the right direction going into the 2017 season. Mason's Vandy teams had improved in each of the last two seasons, reaching their first bowl game under Mason after a 6-6 regular season in 2016. But then 2017 came, and in a year in which the SEC East was an utter crapshoot behind Georgia, the Commodores regressed, finishing 5-7 and only 1-7 in the SEC. Sure, that one win came against Tennessee, which always feels good, but those positive feelings only carry so far.

I don't want to say it's "bowl game or bust" for Mason in 2018, as he did receive a contract extension recently, but if there isn't a noticeable step forward in Year Five, then Vanderbilt could look to make a change.

3. Kalani Sitake, BYU: Things took a major turn for the worse in Sitake's second season at BYU, as the Cougars followed up a 9-4 campaign in 2016 with a 4-9 record last year. And while losing is one thing, it's taken to another level entirely when your offense is putrid.

And BYU's offense was rather odorous in 2017, averaging only 17.1 points per game (and 8.2 PPG in its six games against teams that finished with a winning record).

Making matters worse for Sitake is that Navy's Ken Niumatalolo sure has shown a lot of interest in leaving Navy lately. Just this past offseason, it looked as though Niumatalolo was destined for Arizona before a change of heart (on which side isn't clear). If BYU struggles again in 2018 and Niumatalolo continues to succeed at Navy, there will be plenty of voices calling to bring Niumatalolo -- a Mormon -- to BYU.

1. Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: This is an odd situation to get a read on, because if Kliff Kingsbury wasn't Kliff Kingsbury -- a beloved Texas Tech alum seen as a savior upon his arrival -- I'm pretty sure he'd already been replaced in Lubbock. So I don't know how long the leash truly is, but the fact of the matter is that things have not gone according to plan.

In Kingsbury's first season at Texas Tech in 2013, the Red Raiders went 8-5 overall and 4-5 in the Big 12. Things haven't been that good since.

There have been only two bowl games in the last four seasons, and last year's came because of a win against Texas to finish the regular season. Through five years, Kingsbury has gone 30-33 overall and 16-29 in the Big 12. I just don't think that's what Texas Tech is looking for.

Now, if there's good news, it's that the Tech defense seemed to be trending in the right direction last season. If that side of the ball takes another step forward, it should lead to major improvements for Tech because we know the offense will be fine. It always is.

But if the defense doesn't improve, it might be time for Tech to find somebody who can get the job done.

Honorable Mention: Scottie Montgomery, East Carolina; Barry Odom, Missouri; Ed Orgeron, LSU; Lovie Smith, Illinois

Friday Five: College football coaches on the hot seat entering the 2018 season

Concerning any Vanderbilt coach. What is considered successful by the University? Certainly they can't expect to win the SEC like ever. I don't think it's ever happened and with the high profile teams in the conference, it's literally impossible to out recruit them. It's just never going to happen.

Reactions: 006

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban. If Bama doesn't at least win their division this year, he's getting fired.