• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings of GM's according to Yardbarker.

23. A.J. Preller, Padres
Preller has learned from the mistakes of his early overstated ambition and has become more deliberate in putting together a Padres team better fit for its small-market position. However, the club’s strong push for Shohei Ohtani and rumored interest in making a big splash for Eric Hosmer this winter show that Preller’s ambitions for making San Diego a destination location still exist.

22. Thad Levine and Rob Antony, Twins
The duo of Levine and Antony have played exchanging roles in revamping the Minnesota roster, which is coming off the first year in baseball history of following 100 losses with a trip to the postseason. The mission in Minnesota is now shifting from rebuilding to building upon the success, as additions of Addison Reed and Fernando Rodney indicate the intention of the Twins to make the most of what could potentially be the final year of Brian Dozier and Joe Mauer among their tantalizing ranks of homegrown (and maturing) talent.

18. Jon Daniels, Rangers
Daniels found himself in a rather precarious position over the last year, as he came off the comfort of a division title in 2016 but instantly found his roster going through an undeniable transition throughout 2017. He had to make the tough choice of trading off Yu Darvish, while still having to swallow the $20 million per year that Shin-Soo Choo is due through 2020, as well as underwhelming moves to acquire Jonathan Lucroy, Mike Napoli and, to an extent, Cole Hamels over the past handful of years.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
underwhelming moves to acquire Jonathan Lucroy, Mike Napoli and, to an extent, Cole Hamels over the past handful of years.

Napoli was a disaster from the outset. The other two moves were logical, valid attempts to put this team over the top (and almost did).

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acquiring Napoli was a chance that didn't cost us much of anything - low risk and low reward.

The Lucroy and Hamels trades never made any sense to me. We just weren't good enough for those to come anywhere close to making us a championship caliber team.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the GM list is they have Marlins at bottom and Rays near bottom. Meter jut started and he is the worst trying to keep team afloat from maybe the worst owner in MLB history.

Rays have no shot in the market they are at the have made very smart trades because ownership won't allow them to extend guys. Longoria got priced out. The Astros deliberately tanked and put a AAA team on the field for years. So with this logic Jeter will be the best if he amasses up talent and wins in 5 years.

Of course give Astros credit for Morton signing but the Brady Aiken non signing was a fiasco and eventually hurt our club. Still. SMH

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acquiring Napoli was a chance that didn't cost us much of anything - low risk and low reward.

The Lucroy and Hamels trades never made any sense to me. We just weren't good enough for those to come anywhere close to making us a championship caliber team.

IT gave us better pitching than 2011 run but hated giving up Brinson and Thompson. Lucroy needed to come in and hopefully signed but now yes in retrospect. Very bad. Both guys though talented out of system. Makes me think Lucroy just had a bad attitude not getting his money

So yes I think it got us close. Difference of opinion

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT gave us better pitching than 2011 run but hated giving up Brinson and Thompson. Lucroy needed to come in and hopefully signed but now yes in retrospect. Very bad. Both guys though talented out of system. Makes me think Lucroy just had a bad attitude not getting his money

Definitely a difference of opinion. Nothing wrong with that though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the GM list is they have Marlins at bottom and Rays near bottom. Meter jut started and he is the worst trying to keep team afloat from maybe the worst owner in MLB history.

Rays have no shot in the market they are at the have made very smart trades because ownership won't allow them to extend guys. Longoria got priced out. The Astros deliberately tanked and put a AAA team on the field for years. So with this logic Jeter will be the best if he amasses up talent and wins in 5 years.

Of course give Astros credit for Morton signing but the Brady Aiken non signing was a fiasco and eventually hurt our club. Still. SMH
I don't cut GMs too much slack when they choose to GM a team with a low budget. I do blame ownership in those situations more though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli was a disaster from the outset. The other two moves were logical, valid attempts to put this team over the top (and almost did).

Although it shows I did, I don't think I made this quote. I remember it, and I went back as far as 11 Jan and couldn't find it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it shows I did, I don't think I made this quote. I remember it, and I went back as far as 11 Jan and couldn't find it.
Trumpster. lol Kidding:pound:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking back, give me that 2011 staff over that 2015 staff, and it isn't even a tough choice. We had a starter with an ERA below 3.00 and only one starter with an ERA above 4.00 in 2011. I think you are forgetting how good our starters were in 2011.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were quoting the Yardbarker article about how they ranked the GMs. Not your words, but theirs.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calhoun No. 1 in rankings, but this teen is considered Rangers’ top prospect

Here is the BA top 10:

1. Willie Calhoun, OF

2. Leody Taveras, OF

3. Hans Crouse, RHP

4. Cole Ragans, LHP

5. Yohander Mendez, LHP

6. Ronald Guzman, 1B

7. Kyle Cody, RHP

8. Miguel Aparicio, OF

9. Bubba Thompson, OF

10. Chris Seise, SS

Though he doesn’t speak much English, he didn’t need Eleno Ornelas to translate the word “pressure.” Taveras, cousin of former big-league Willy Taveras, knows what is expected of him, and doesn’t seem fazed by it.

Here’s an interview with the 19-year-old switch-hitting phenom, who was signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2015 for $2.1 million.

What do you think about being considered the Rangers’ top prospect?

I’m proud of it. I feel good, and I just try to work out and do the best I can.

Is there pressure?

No.

Ah. You understood that word.

(Taveras laughs.)

What do you think is your No. 1 strength?

Defense. I feel comfortable. My speed and my defense are the top things when they look at me.

For an 19-year-old, you are said to have advanced instincts on the field. Where does that come from?

I’ve had many conversations with my cousin Willy. He would talk about instincts, and my preparation is what I learned from him.

You will likely start 2018 in High A. Is it difficult to stay patient on your way through the system?

I don’t get anxious. I try to stay focused and do the best that I can.

Last season was your first full season. What is the No. 1 lesson you took away from it?

Health is one of the main things. I have to stay healthy, and also the job I do hitting. Hitting-wise it was different. You have to make a lot of adjustments during the course of a long season. That’s what I take away from last season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absorbed playing time that needed to be given to younger players.
Until they get it out of their head that they are in some kind of "contention" they are going to keep doing things like that. If it wasn't Napoli it would have been some other veteran taking playing time away from younger guys. JD has to stop believing in fairy tales and start facing reality. The signing wasn't so bad to me as the idea behind why they thought they needed to sign a veteran. I would have loved to have seen Rua or Profar over at 1B myself as long as Beltre was hurt and Gallo had to play 3B. That is not the way JD is running things though.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back, give me that 2011 staff over that 2015 staff, and it isn't even a tough choice. We had a starter with an ERA below 3.00 and only one starter with an ERA above 4.00 in 2011. I think you are forgetting how good our starters were in 2011.

I remember Ceej who was worthless in the playoffs, Ogando who tired out but was great early, Colby was good although not great statistically That leave your fav Dutch and Harrison. Feliz though was good. So cumulative numbers aside. Nope we needed more but still almost had it. Sometimes the magic takes you over the edge. The best teams don't always win

No YU but the trade for Hamels was an eye for that tandem in the playoffs. We still had Colby and Perez and a serviceable Guillardo.

We had eyes an upgrade for the year but the unfortunate Tommy John. We slugged ourself into contention IMO

Trying to get two Aces for the window did not work out so here we are wishing we had some guys back and the farm thin at the upper levels

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until they get it out of their head that they are in some kind of "contention" they are going to keep doing things like that. If it wasn't Napoli it would have been some other veteran taking playing time away from younger guys. JD has to stop believing in fairy tales and start facing reality. The signing wasn't so bad to me as the idea behind why they thought they needed to sign a veteran. I would have loved to have seen Rua or Profar over at 1B myself as long as Beltre was hurt and Gallo had to play 3B. That is not the way JD is running things though.

I thought the manager filled out the lineup