• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland used to use that strategy to bolster their farm system a lot.
If you are not costing yourself an arm and a leg it makes sense. You do not lose any current prospects and may pick up a future prospect on top of it as you have something to go by on who you may get in return based on their minor/major league experience. I know from reading what you said Saddles we would lose a draft pick but that has been a crap shoot with us so I see it as a win-win. I know not everyone will agree with it but that is just my take.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a strong tendency to agree. With our rotation, there may not be many games to save. Besides with a little luck we may be surprised what develops with Kela and Bush. Potential is there.
I'm interested to see what LeClerc does this year.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it would. I would be willing to gamble that what we could pick up for him at the deadline might very well be more valuable and would help us sooner down the line.

Sign Holland, lose a draft pick and international money, then hope Holland has a decent enough first half to be able to trade him for someone that can "help us sooner"...

I'm OK with just staying out of the mix altogether.

Oakland used to use that strategy to bolster their farm system a lot.

And they never amounted to anything.

you can look at what JD and the owners put together for this season and easily see that they weren't trying to put a competitive team together for this season so forget about Holland

Actually, what it looks like to me is that the Rangers didn't want to spend a ton of money and lose a bunch of prospects for subpar transactions that would obliterate the long term success of the franchise. But that's just me.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Holland, lose a draft pick and international money, then hope Holland has a decent enough first half to be able to trade him for someone that can "help us sooner"...

I'm OK with just staying out of the mix altogether.

Actually, what it looks like to me is that the Rangers didn't want to spend a ton of money and lose a bunch of prospects for subpar transactions that would obliterate the long term success of the franchise. But that's just me.
They didn't amount to anything because of things other than their system though.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. To me the upside is worth the gamble.

They have chosen to gamble on the worth of potential trade pieces that they already own by not putting them on the market 4 months ago.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't amount to anything because of things other than their system though.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. To me the upside is worth the gamble.

They have chosen to gamble on the worth of potential trade pieces that they already own by not putting them on the market 4 months ago.

The fact that Holland remains unsigned makes me think there's a reason why the Rangers haven't pursued him. I'm not sold on the idea that the risk is worth the reward. Especially in a season where the AL West will be super competitive.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Holland remains unsigned makes me think there's a reason why the Rangers haven't pursued him. I'm not sold on the idea that the risk is worth the reward. Especially in a season where the AL West will be super competitive.
The main reason is probably the money it would take. I am not saying I don't understand not wanting to risk a draft pick. I just don't agree with that thinking.

Just curious, what does our division being competitive have to do with us picking Holland up and trading him at the deadline? I am not thinking acquiring him makes us competitive. I just want him to trade away in July.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, what does our division being competitive have to do with us picking Holland up and trading him at the deadline? I am not thinking acquiring him makes us competitive. I just want him to trade away in July.

Well I suppose I said that because to me the Rangers should only sign guys that can help them the entire season. I don't support the idea of signing guys with the intent of trading them mid-season. But under that premise, you're right, the competitiveness of the division is irrelevant.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I suppose I said that because to me the Rangers should only sign guys that can help them the entire season. I don't support the idea of signing guys with the intent of trading them mid-season. But under that premise, you're right, the competitiveness of the division is irrelevant.

Ideally players are commodities but the winter market was quite unsteady and without a market it is tough to move players

I would hope some of the reluctance to sign players is to leave room for our extensions to young guys like Gallo, Max and even Elvis. Other factor may be the bumper FA crop this winter

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually they had pitching running out the ying yang and for some crazy reason kept getting rid of them. But I understand where you are coming from but I agree with Saddles in that we need to start building our minor league system up and if having Holland helps then I am okay with it.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually they had pitching running out the ying yang and for some crazy reason kept getting rid of them. But I understand where you are coming from but I agree with Saddles in that we need to start building our minor league system up and if having Holland helps then I am okay with it.

Three have made some bad trades and have acquired some good arms in return for unloading good pitching.

I think there is merit for picking up value and flipping them as needed. This could easily happen in a few years with our OF surplus. Maybe we pick up more pitching. No great depth there even 3 years from now

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I am not letting this go too easy although Dutch is a pretty good guy.

Minus the upside and tasking account bang for the buck.......

It is possible that

Holland > M Moore.

I am hoping Moore has not full recovered and acclimated from injury

How about this as far as symmetry, Saddles?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m looking forward to opening day. Anything can happen over the course of one game.

We could look like champs tomorrow. I hope we win.

Enthusiasm goes down after that.

We all know that ownership punted on this season and the team will suck.