• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him a B on drafting. We did have at one time the best farm system in the Majors. Now what we did with it I'd give a D or F. Now he's trying to do that again and again, I believe, relying too much on his prospects - mainly his pitching prospects. Which has me wondering why not go more into free agency for longer years. He may have to do it someday.

Your grading system harsh but fair, Bennie.:2cents:
The first 3 drafts after the 2012 season were not that good at all. The last 2 have been better.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 3 drafts after the 2012 season were not that good at all. The last 2 have been better.

D+? There are no D+s. Thinking he was a few points from utter failure. Funny a guy like Dipoto is lauded for his moves but yet he fails to make it to postseason. Are there anybody in this league B or above? Guess unless you have money curve of Yankees Dodgers etc. you don’t make the grade. I feel sorry for a team like the Rays who know how to develop pitchers but can never retain due to money issues.

The whole grading is pretty harsh. We did not get the ring but it has been some really good years. I don’t forget the early Ranger years where we were a laughingstock bringing up Clyde to sell tickets. SMH. Harsh yes very harsh and IMO unfair too. But you are a diehard fan. That I can appreciate and respect

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember banging the bleachers on bat day wishing for relevance. Then Hart hire this kid named JD. before then no farm or international presence. How soon we forget. If Nolan had his way there would have been no Yu in TX. No one lasts forever but JD complaints are mostly classless. Of course all must improve. But acting like there is incompetence. That part is NOT to be respected

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More Profar love. I agree though. No good reason to trade him now

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D+? There are no D+s. Thinking he was a few points from utter failure. Funny a guy like Dipoto is lauded for his moves but yet he fails to make it to postseason. Are there anybody in this league B or above? Guess unless you have money curve of Yankees Dodgers etc. you don’t make the grade. I feel sorry for a team like the Rays who know how to develop pitchers but can never retain due to money issues.

The whole grading is pretty harsh. We did not get the ring but it has been some really good years. I don’t forget the early Ranger years where we were a laughingstock bringing up Clyde to sell tickets. SMH. Harsh yes very harsh and IMO unfair too. But you are a diehard fan. That I can appreciate and respect
You are refusing to look at it from 2012 on. You are also refusing to use the parameters that I used and then you compare how you feel to my grade. It is senseless to compare two different opinions when they are about two different things. You are judging the Rangers front office based on your history as a fan and on JD's entire tenure here(probably without the first couple of years though), and I am judging them based on what they have done the past few seasons.

How we played in the 70s has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

The rest of the league has nothing to do with what I asked.

Can you not simply look at the last 6 offseason and last 5 seasons and make a judgment based solely on that? Baseball-wise the rest is ancient history. Or can you not do that simply because you don't want to say how this front office has done in that time period.

It is not a requirement that a fan of the team be a fan of the front office. Being a front office apologist is especially not a requirement.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember banging the bleachers on bat day wishing for relevance. Then Hart hire this kid named JD. before then no farm or international presence. How soon we forget. If Nolan had his way there would have been no Yu in TX. No one lasts forever but JD complaints are mostly classless. Of course all must improve. But acting like there is incompetence. That part is NOT to be respected
No international presence before that??? What about Juan Gonzalez, Pudge Rodriguez, and Reuben Sierra.

No farm before that??? What about Mike Hargrove, Jim Sundberg, Pete O'Brien, Bump Wills, Oddibe McDowell, Jose Guzman, Bobby Witt, Edwin Correa, Jeff Russell, Kenny Rogers, and Kevin Brown?

Yes, we do forget very soon it appears.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how's our team looking this offseason? Any reason to believe we have a chance this upcoming season? Can't wait to get this thing started. I'm going to post a lot more in here this season now that I have season tickets.

GO Rangers

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we need to change the masthead image?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leftovers again? A few lingering thoughts as Rangers head west

Included in the Darvish deal, reportedly, is an opt-out clause after two season. That's 2018 and 2019. The Rangers open their new ballpark in 2020.

Are we going to have to go through this again in two years? Well, maybe.

There is no secret that Darvish and the Rangers feel strongly about each other. Apparently not six-year and $126 million strong, but strong. Darvish is planning to keep his home in Dallas.

It would seem that the Rangers would want a nice shiny hood ornament for Globe Life Field. And someone who could keep the fans coming in once the novelty of the new ballpark has started to wear off.

Don't dismiss that possibility just because Darvish and the Rangers couldn't come up with a deal this off-season.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm afraid i'm one of them. the team JD and the owners have put together so far doesn't give me any reason to expect better than 70-72 wins and probably less. our starting pitching is worse than last year which will put a questionable bullpen under too much distress and our offense/defense is also weaker than last year's so where do we see any positive

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his poll I chose the 77-79 wins category. I think a lot of things would have to go wrong to win less than 70. The league just doesn't have that many really good teams.