• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that earlier today.

Either Ray Davis and bob Simpson aren’t as rich as we think they are, their business enterprises aren’t going well, or they’re just a bunch of cheap asses.

The last significant move we heard out of those guys was they gave Odor a pony so that he would sign his extension and most people on this board have been wishing Odor would ride that pony out of town ever since.

You have no clue, dude. They’re businessmen and they’ve seen some big investments crap out and they’re a little gun shy right now. On the other hand, they’re also uncertain about what committing to a true rebuild will do to attendance and for how long. It’s not a good way to look at it imo. You gotta make a decision and go with it, but I at least understand it. Never ceases to amaze me how a fan thinks they have much clue about owners money. Especially calling them cheap asses when they’ve ponies up cash on multiple occasions to take a shot.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only players we have who might be blocking others are Choo blocking Calhoun but service time is factor and maybe Odor for Profar which is not clear cut either. Lastly maybe Beltran for Gallo for Guzman. But Gallo might not be the one they have in mind long term for Beltre.

Overall the best players play for now. Now Wash stunted growth of a young guy like Profar IMO

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Rangers have promised Minor a shot to start but IMO if we pick up one more pitcher Minor could be our closer and with enough depth in the pen our SP does not have to be lights out.

Point is still slot of unknowns. Rangers may not be done spending

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will find out who is ready or not to make the leap. Start from there.
Not if it is Rua. He proved himself last ST and then got thrown into the three headed monster platoon. There are certain things like that that keep this team from rebuilding correctly.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a real possibility that both Hamels and Beltre are back in 2019.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if it is Rua. He proved himself last ST and then got thrown into the three headed monster platoon. There are certain things like that that keep this team from rebuilding correctly.
If Rua could hit from both sides of the plate things may have been different. That horse was beaten to death months ago. He had chances. The three headed monster was not good but no one could lock LF down.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It started developing cracks late in Game 6 and has continued to crumble since then.

I do think we are in the midst of a partial rebuild. I don’t blame owners for not giving up ship yet as they do run a business but yes as a fan I would love for them to spend more and can see the logic that we are underspending this year. Have to think there will be some pressure at some point given the amount of money Arlington put up.

But yes I am pushing back on the severe criticism.
Still interested in this years team

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rua could hit from both sides of the plate things may have been different. That horse was beaten to death months ago. He had chances. The three headed monster was not good but no one could lock LF down.

Yeah Prodar got a much rawer deal a few yearls ago.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a real possibility that both Hamels and Beltre are back in 2019.

Especially Hamels due to net price of 14 million

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I posted a couple of weeks ago, when he was given a chance he was successful. That just wasn't good enough for Banny.

My point is that it isn't always what you do in ST. If the preconceived ideas are challenged by ST results a lot of times the preconceived ideas win out. In Rua's case that is exactly what happened last year.

Who knows what he can do from both sides of the plate if he had the opportunity to prove it by playing almost every day for several weeks.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a reminder in the only opportunity Ryan Rua has had to play almost every day for an extended period of time since he was a rookie he did great. He had a slash line that time of .318/.419/.580. His OPS that time was .999. He played in 26 of 30 games. When you play in 26 of 30 games and have an OPS of .999 you are hitting right-handed pitching and left-handed pitching. Yes, he had his chance and he did great. It is a very small sample size, but it is the only one they will give him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially Hamels due to net price of 14 million
If they can convince Beltre that they are contending this year then they can probably talk him into renewing for another year or two. I wouldn't be surprised to have them both back in 2019 and if the next offseason is very similar to this one.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think we are in the midst of a partial rebuild. I don’t blame owners for not giving up ship yet as they do run a business but yes as a fan I would love for them to spend more and can see the logic that we are underspending this year. Have to think there will be some pressure at some point given the amount of money Arlington put up.

But yes I am pushing back on the severe criticism.
Still interested in this years team
What grade to you give JD/Ownership for what has transpired since the 2012 season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I posted a couple of weeks ago, when he was given a chance he was successful. That just wasn't good enough for Banny.

My point is that it isn't always what you do in ST. If the preconceived ideas are challenged by ST results a lot of times the preconceived ideas win out. In Rua's case that is exactly what happened last year.

Who knows what he can do from both sides of the plate if he had the opportunity to prove it by playing almost every day for several weeks.

May be his competition DDJ was as good in the field and much more productive on offense. However he was part of the monster that was hurt as well. Banny was part of the problem indeed.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What grade to you give JD/Ownership for what has transpired since the 2012 season.

Haha. Ok I will bite but first JD/ownership grade against what?

If results is basis for grade then pre 2012 JD gets an A but if comparing against pre2012 a C
But if grading against past ownership that also went bankrupt then an A.
If graded as a job review then right now I would say NI aka needs improvement but no need to put on written review, no fireable offense. As a fan perhaps some would say F for not signing Darvish.

For me JD and his crew many of which were covered and left because rhett were good are the best thing that ever happened to the Rangers hence my profile. Definite improvement needed in developing starting pitching. Hated the Lucroy trade due to losing Brinson but understood going all in while Hamels and Darvish were still in play.

FYI I would not give the Astros an A for fielding a AAA team all years to IMO unethically land a WS team and I do not give every team an F and the WS champ an A yearly?

There was a comparitve ranking of GMs that had him at the middle of the pack. That was a crock due to fiscal restraints. I like him better than that and don’t think he has regressed. Just too many factors.

You and Others can chime in but that is my take. What do they say liars figure and figure lie. All about perspectives. Feel free to dissect

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. Ok I will bite but first JD/ownership grade against what?

If results is basis for grade then pre 2012 JD gets an A but if comparing against pre2012 a C
But if grading against past ownership that also went bankrupt then an A.
If graded as a job review then right now I would say NI aka needs improvement but no need to put on written review, no fireable offense. As a fan perhaps some would say F for not signing Darvish.

For me JD and his crew many of which were covered and left because rhett were good are the best thing that ever happened to the Rangers hence my profile. Definite improvement needed in developing starting pitching. Hated the Lucroy trade due to losing Brinson but understood going all in while Hamels and Darvish were still in play.

FYI I would not give the Astros an A for fielding a AAA team all years to IMO unethically land a WS team and I do not give every team an F and the WS champ an A yearly?

There was a comparitve ranking of GMs that had him at the middle of the pack. That was a crock due to fiscal restraints. I like him better than that and don’t think he has regressed. Just too many factors.

You and Others can chime in but that is my take. What do they say liars figure and figure lie. All about perspectives. Feel free to dissect
I meant overall as far as running the team.

Not compared to other GMs because I never liked grading on a curve. lol

Not compared to what they did prior to then either.

I meant since 2012 when you consider all of the factors. With that in mind here is my take.

Coaches/Manager hiring or retention.--- C-

Free agents signed or not signed.--- F+

Trades made or not made.--- F

Overall philosophy of building a WS champion.--- D

Drafting.--- C

Development of prospects.--- D

Overall grade--- D+

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Loaiza for Michael Young. Now that was a great trade.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant overall as far as running the team.

Not compared to other GMs because I never liked grading on a curve. lol

Not compared to what they did prior to then either.

I meant since 2012 when you consider all of the factors. With that in mind here is my take.

Coaches/Manager hiring or retention.--- C-

Free agents signed or not signed.--- F+

Trades made or not made.--- F

Overall philosophy of building a WS champion.--- D

Drafting.--- C

Development of prospects.--- D

Overall grade--- D+
I'd give him a B on drafting. We did have at one time the best farm system in the Majors. Now what we did with it I'd give a D or F. Now he's trying to do that again and again, I believe, relying too much on his prospects - mainly his pitching prospects. Which has me wondering why not go more into free agency for longer years. He may have to do it someday.

Your grading system harsh but fair, Bennie.:2cents: