• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Spring Training Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question from a guy who has not been following spring training that closely... Can Parker play CF? The Giants' other CF options seem to be pretty awful right now.

To piggy back Stokes and Cal, he probably can in a pinch. He's done it before, he's athletic in the field. But it's not like the Giants are going to start Parker in CF and Mac in LF or something like that. He's not great in the field anyway.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To piggy back Stokes and Cal, he probably can in a pinch. He's done it before, he's athletic in the field. But it's not like the Giants are going to start Parker in CF and Mac in LF or something like that. He's not great in the field anyway.
Considering the reports I've heard about Span losing a step, it may not be much of a drop off defensively of Williamson and Parker compared to Parker and Span.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like Smith will be starting the year on the dl (hope it turns out okay). With that possibility, this is who I hope comprise the bullpen:
Okert
Stratton
Ramirez
Kontos
Strickland
Law
Melancon

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like Smith will be starting the year on the dl (hope it turns out okay). With that possibility, this is who I hope comprise the bullpen:
Okert
Stratton
Ramirez
Kontos
Strickland
Law
Melancon
Ramirez over Sick? Stratton over Gearin? No Suarez?

I agree that I think Suarez is gone. He at least should be an easy DFA. I also was never sold on Gearin, but the PsTB seem to really like him. I have heard good things about Ramirez, but I don't know anything about him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramirez over Sick? Stratton over Gearin? No Suarez?

I agree that I think Suarez is gone. He at least should be an easy DFA. I also was never sold on Gearin, but the PsTB seem to really like him. I have heard good things about Ramirez, but I don't know anything about him.
Osich hasn't been very impressive in spring training. Neither has Blach, Suarez or Gearrin. I'm still puzzled as to why Stratton was sent down early, given his production, but maybe they bring him back up for another shot. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Osich is over Stratton and either Gearrin or Hernandez over Ramirez (even though both Gearrin and Hernandez have looked poor and Gearrin's 2016 doesn't merit a guaranteed roster spot).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea who will win the bully jobs. Law and Melancon are the only two who pitched well enough to earn spot-locks. Politics add Smith and Strickland to that list. But past that, every job is open, IMHO.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea who will win the bully jobs. Law and Melancon are the only two who pitched well enough to earn spot-locks. Politics add Smith and Strickland to that list. But past that, every job is open, IMHO.
Strickland's numbers look pretty good so far this spring. 8 hit and no walks in 7.3 innings pitched, with 6 strikeouts. Not eye-popping but no one has those. Melancon doesn't that the strikeouts, Law walks too many batters, Okert's K levels are a bit low as well. I'd put Strickland in as a lock without the politics.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okert
Stratton
Ramirez
Kontos
Strickland
Law
Melancon

That would leave only one lefty in the pen (Okert). Not sure whether Blach or Osich (who has had a miserable spring) would be the next lefty. I think a lefty takes Stratton's place, but what do I know. :noidea:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would leave only one lefty in the pen (Okert). Not sure whether Blach or Osich (who has had a miserable spring) would be the next lefty. I think a lefty takes Stratton's place, but what do I know. :noidea:
For some reason, I was thinking of Stratton in the role of the 2nd lefty. Not sure where I got that idea. Looking at the lefties in camp (beside Okert and Smith):
Michael Roth - Has only allowed 4 hits and 1 walk in 4.7 innings of work but all five baserunners have scored.
Ty Blach - Hasn't walked a batter in 11.3 innings but has given up 17 hits and 7 runs.
Kraig Sitton - Posted a 9.00 ERA and 2.000 WHIP in 4 innings and recently got reassigned to minor league camp.
Josh Osich - 7 hits and 7 walks in 6.3 innings with 5 runs (plus 3 unearned) allowed.
Matt Reynolds - 4 hits and 3 runs allowed in 1.7 innings (in 4 games, apparently they wanted to use him sparingly in camp. Might be time to give him some longer chances).

Apparently, bringing 7 lefties to camp for 2 spots wasn't nearly enough.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll be Melancon-Law-Strick-Kontos-Okert-Osich-Gearrin/Ramirez/Hernandez

There was a lot of early buzz for Hernandez because #VeteranExperience #FlameThrower. He had 1 bad outing, but has looked pretty good otherwise. I wouldn't be mad if he made it. Gearrin has Bochy's trust, which counts for a lot, but I don't really see it with him. Again, I would not be mad either way. Neil Ramirez has been really good and has great stuff. I would be happy if he made it.

Osich has ugly numbers, but he started out slow and then had one bad outing recently, but in between he was good. I just think that Bochy won't want to roll into Opening Day with 1 ROOKIE left-hander. Osich is already on the squad, don't have to make space for him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'll be Melancon-Law-Strick-Kontos-Okert-Osich-Gearrin/Ramirez/Hernandez

There was a lot of early buzz for Hernandez because #VeteranExperience #FlameThrower. He had 1 bad outing, but has looked pretty good otherwise. I wouldn't be mad if he made it. Gearrin has Bochy's trust, which counts for a lot, but I don't really see it with him. Again, I would not be mad either way. Neil Ramirez has been really good and has great stuff. I would be happy if he made it.

Osich has ugly numbers, but he started out slow and then had one bad outing recently, but in between he was good. I just think that Bochy won't want to roll into Opening Day with 1 ROOKIE left-hander. Osich is already on the squad, don't have to make space for him.
Depending on how long Smith is determined to be out, I wouldn't be surprised if the front office makes one of those rare late spring training trades for a lefty or watches the waiver wire for a pickup. That is, unless Osich continues to get better. Then they may be comfortable with the "O"s handling left handed duties.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure these guys are locks:

Melancon
Law
Strickland
Okert
Kontos
Gearrin

The last spot is up for grabs, now that Smith seems headed to the DL. My guess is Osich.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the MRI did not give good news for Will Smith and so he is going for a second opinion. TJ surgery is being talked about as a worst case scenario. Wonder if the team will start looking for a lefty on the market or through a trade.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure these guys are locks:

Melancon
Law
Strickland
Okert
Kontos
Gearrin

The last spot is up for grabs, now that Smith seems headed to the DL. My guess is Osich.
I agree with you on everyone except possibly Gearrin. You are probably right but I would think that his 2016, put together with his spring, that he may be on the bubble.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks about Smith. But the Giants have been relatively untouched by the TJ bug over the last 10 years or so, so I guess we don't really have the right to complain here...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a big, big loss on Smith. Hopefully he can avoid TJ because your basically taking about 2 wasted years, the same amount of years left under control. Not only that, but he is a very good reliever and far and away the best lefty available.

I guess at least his second opinion wasn't to the infamous Dr. James Andrews, which would basically guarantee him going down for TJ. I won't hold my breathe though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Michael Morse hurt his hamstring yesterday and it's not exactly a brush off type of injury..... Hwang and Hill might just find their ways onto this roster after all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Michael Morse hurt his hamstring yesterday and it's not exactly a brush off type of injury..... Hwang and Hill might just find their ways onto this roster after all.
I prefer Hwang anyway.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Hwang anyway.

Indeed. I'm excited for him. Not only his bat, but he seems like a really good guy in the clubhouse.

How does Morse going down open a spot for Hwang? Yes, his bat has been incredible but have the Giants been playing him in the outfield?