• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Reflections and Looking Ahead to 2018 Offseason

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 was a year where the team never really realized their potential and underachieved. The Broncos could have had 10 - 12 wins had things happened perfectly, but they didn't obviously. 2017 was not a completely wasted year as the Oline did improve their run blocking and this should help going forward. The online still needs a RT and depth at a minimum. I think pass protection will improve as the core group plays together more.

In 2017 we also had some young players step up and show the promise for the future. Simmons, Parks, and Booker come to mind. Boles had a reasonable rookie year and will be better going forward.

Unfortunately most of my Broncos watching was final scores so I am sure I missed many good and bad things. I will lean on the rest of the board to help fill in the gaps I have left out.

Now as the 2018 off-season starts in about 9 hours we have so many more questions then answers.
What direction do we go at QB? Vet? Rookie? Rookie with a stop gap vet?
Do we keep Joseph for another year?
How much of the current coaching staff remains?
What players are restructured? DT? Von? Stewart? Talib? CJ?
What players are cut? Stewart? Talib? CJ? Simian? Lynch?
What players do we resign? Larimer? Brock? Davis?

It is going to be a wild offseaon starting tomorrow when some of these answers will start coming to light.

What is you preferred offseason? What moves would you make if you were Elway?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things obviously didn’t happen perfectly though I agree this team could be sitting at 9-6 going into this week when you consider the missed opportunities:

Giants were missing so many starters and the Broncos were at home after a bye.
Bengals at home were not a daunting task.
Raiders in Oakland also not unreasonable to expect a better performance.
Either of the Redskins or Dolphins games because neither team is really as good as the Broncos made them look.

Now granted getting beat by all those teams just means the Broncos themselves were never any good this year. But despite a poor showing I am inclined to believe this isn’t a team that needs a complete overhaul. I think too much change combined with not enough talent at the game’s most critical position did the 2017 season in. With that said, I hope VJ remains, and as much of this staff as can be managed.

We all agree there needs to be a major upgrade at QB. I have repeatedly expressed hope the Broncos trade for Luck. While there is no speculation of this beyond my hope, the idea isn’t as insane as it may sound. The Colts May choose to go cost effective and rebuild around Jacoby Brisset who has given them solid play in an ugly season. They would unload Luck’s contract and gain some draft capital in the process. I’ve no idea what it would cost to get Luck but his addition to this team would make it an instant contender. I’ll discuss the QB situation more elsewhere.

The other big positive is I think we have 4 pieces on the offensive line that are workable options going forward:

Bolles
Leary
Paradis
McGovern

When Leary returns they need to move him back to LG and put McGovern in as RG. Then we have some continuity this unit has lacked for the past 3-4 years and the only need is RT.

I think we are serviceable at RB but our TE position group needs an upgrade or someone needs to step up!

As for the defense I’m not sure how to address all the various complexities of the cap situation and FA. Suffice to say the unit is still solid and can be again next year. I question how dominant it will be but if it can remain a top 10 unit and the Broncos can combine it with a functional offense this team will be good. Same thing we’ve said for the past 2 seasons but never had a chance to prove for lack of a functional offense!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@iknowftbll

Thanks - love reading your takes and thoughts.

on the Oline - There is a question if Paradis fits with Bolles, McGovern and Leary's game - the latter three having more of a power game and Paradis more of a zoner type (I love Paradise = and he brings a lot of intangibles to his play and his role)on the team). On Bolles - I would think the Broncos would at least check to see if there is a better LT talent in the draft - moving Bolles over to RT and Swing Tackle.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@iknowftbll

Thanks - love reading your takes and thoughts.

on the Oline - There is a question if Paradis fits with Bolles, McGovern and Leary's game - the latter three having more of a power game and Paradis more of a zoner type (I love Paradise = and he brings a lot of intangibles to his play and his role)on the team). On Bolles - I would think the Broncos would at least check to see if there is a better LT talent in the draft - moving Bolles over to RT and Swing Tackle.

I’m not against that idea on Bolles.

As for Paradis, if he isn’t a fit for the more power oriented scheme I wonder if it would be worth giving McGovern his shot at center and going back to the drawing board at RG. I’m not keen on this because I’d like the least amount of turnover as possible but if the fit is better then continuity isn’t a compelling reason to not make the shift.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not against that idea on Bolles.

As for Paradis, if he isn’t a fit for the more power oriented scheme I wonder if it would be worth giving McGovern his shot at center and going back to the drawing board at RG. I’m not keen on this because I’d like the least amount of turnover as possible but if the fit is better then continuity isn’t a compelling reason to not make the shift.

Yes - that is my thought as well - and this is only because it is easier to replace Paradis than it is to replace the other three.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a "10-12" win team, or even a "9-7" team this year. We lost 8 games by double digits and 4 of those by over 20 points. After teams had even more film on Siemian, there was no attempt to disguise they were going to crowd the LOS. Even losing to teams we "should have beat" is living in denial that we were just a bad team.

I'll keep repeating until I'm blue in the face; No QB - No Chance in today's NFL.

I think the challenge for the FO is to make the decision of whether this year was an aberration or if we need to almost start over. I'm not smart enough to figure that out - but if we start over, then draft a QB in the top 10 and trade anyone you can get anything for and go young realizing it's going to be at least three years until we are competing for a playoff spot. If we are close to being competitive, go get a FA QB and keep as much of the band together as possible.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a "10-12" win team, or even a "9-7" team this year. We lost 8 games by double digits and 4 of those by over 20 points. After teams had even more film on Siemian, there was no attempt to disguise they were going to crowd the LOS. Even losing to teams we "should have beat" is living in denial that we were just a bad team.

I'll keep repeating until I'm blue in the face; No QB - No Chance in today's NFL.

I think the challenge for the FO is to make the decision of whether this year was an aberration or if we need to almost start over. I'm not smart enough to figure that out - but if we start over, then draft a QB in the top 10 and trade anyone you can get anything for and go young realizing it's going to be at least three years until we are competing for a playoff spot. If we are close to being competitive, go get a FA QB and keep as much of the band together as possible.

Crap or get off the pot. ;)

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were not many games that we went into and said they are the more talented team across the board. I thought if the team played well they could win 90% of the games. Now with the way the team was/is playing they didn't have much of a chance in many of the games.

The Eagles and Patriots I thought was going to be tough and they may be the better teams. I can't think of another game that I thought the team could not win without some breaks. Now the turnovers killed the season and the most troubling is that there were several players committing the mistakes with the QB being the most prominent.

Find a guy that wi protect the ball and thus team is dangerous. Tyrod Taylor may be a reasonably priced guy that could improve the team from day 1.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we finished 3-13 we'd have 2nd pick in April blew that Denver.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any win is important for the players. Winning today will be important and will likely not change any plans going forward. Finish with a win can propell the team into the off-season and help build for 2018.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we finished 3-13 we'd have 2nd pick in April blew that Denver.
You'll go crazy with "what if". It is what it is. Think positive thoughts
As Rodgers said
R E L A X

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll go crazy with "what if". It is what it is. Think positive thoughts
As Rodgers said
R E L A X

I am just saying :)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any win is important for the players. Winning today will be important and will likely not change any plans going forward. Finish with a win can propell the team into the off-season and help build for 2018.
Because 6-10 is so much different than 5-11? It's been a bad season either way and a W today won't change that.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't change if it is a bad or good season but it can change the players feeling heading into the offseason.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like playing for a draft pick so far.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish list. Emphasis on wish

Keep VJ

Sign Cousins
Keep Lynch and Kelly for 3 more years . Put a plan together for each

Draft Barkley
Sign Gordon as FA WR
Use DT like Ari uses Fitz from the slot
Let Talib leave
Sanders can stay but could be cut if Denver wants to eat $5MM

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Wish list

VJ (depends if JE hires Dennison type) Keep VJ If JE hires a big name then moving on from VJ is right thing to do
No Cousins (Slightly cheaper FA QB) Want Denver to bolster roster more before spending 28 mil on one.
Draft Barkley
Draft QB Mason Rudolph in 2nd round
draft 2 ILB's
T draft trade or FA
Sanders Talib and CJ gone
DT restructure

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Talib to stay. He’s a fiery competitor and the heartbeat of our core defensive unit. We lost a lot of our attitude when we cut Ward

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Talib to stay. He’s a fiery competitor and the heartbeat of our core defensive unit. We lost a lot of our attitude when we cut Ward

Me too but, sounds like we aren't going to.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, my wish list:

get rid of Max Garcia

sign a QB via FA

draft the best O-lineman available at #5

find a better ST coach

make Paxton Lynch and Chad Kelly fight to the death in Training Camp - if Lynch wins cut him anyway