• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles are looking for an outfielder. Wonder if Clutch would interest them???
I don't know if they have the type of players the Pirates want? I am not familiar with their depth to even know.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the price for a guy like Pomeranz or Buchholz would have come down due to the Sale acquisition. Buchholz was pretty down last year, and I guess there's no guarantee he'd recover, but Pomeranz would be a good get and affordable still being in arbitration with only one full season as a starting pitcher under his belt.
Buchholz, I think can be had cheap and if the Sox eat most of his salary. I think his style would fit well in PNC though.
Pomeranz, I thought the same but didn't he give up a ton of HR's or maybe that was just due to pitching in Fenway?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the price for a guy like Pomeranz or Buchholz would have come down due to the Sale acquisition. Buchholz was pretty down last year, and I guess there's no guarantee he'd recover, but Pomeranz would be a good get and affordable still being in arbitration with only one full season as a starting pitcher under his belt.

Yep, good call on both. Feel like Buchholz is more of a NH guy.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buchholz, I think can be had cheap and if the Sox eat most of his salary. I think his style would fit well in PNC though.
Pomeranz, I thought the same but didn't he give up a ton of HR's or maybe that was just due to pitching in Fenway?

Don't see anything out of the ordinary in Pomeranz's HRs allowed, very average. Don't see the Red Sox trading him considering they gave up a decent haul to get him.

Feel like Buchholz could be had for almost nothing assuming the Pirates pick up his whole salary, which they should. Essentially signing him to a one year 14mil deal.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see anything out of the ordinary in Pomeranz's HRs allowed, very average. Don't see the Red Sox trading him considering they gave up a decent haul to get him.

Feel like Buchholz could be had for almost nothing assuming the Pirates pick up his whole salary, which they should. Essentially signing him to a one year 14mil deal.

Prior to the deal they were below average but after Boston they shot up and gave up a HR in all but two appearances, with one being a relief appearance.
Drew Pomeranz’s home run issues

Buchholz I don't have an issue with the Pirates taking on the whole salary if that means not much going back but I still see the Red Sox will try to get something more than a salary dump.

Boston Red Sox: Clay Buchholz deal turned down by Miami Marlins
While the Marlins have shown some interest in Buchholz, they aren’t willing to surrender right-handed pitching prospect Luis Castillo, the price Boston requested in return.
Castillo is ranked as the No. 5 prospect in the Marlins system by MLB.com.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates To Sign Daniel Hudson

Nice move to shore up the bullpen.
Wonder if they hope Watson's value stays high as the season starts to trade him later?

Even if we keep Watson, having another right-handed reliever who could ultimately slot into a late innings role is a good thing to have. And in his profile, I see a lot of reason to expect him to achieve that, too. I can't see anything in his peripherals to suggest his ERA is at all reflective of his pitching.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we keep Watson, having another right-handed reliever who could ultimately slot into a late innings role is a good thing to have. And in his profile, I see a lot of reason to expect him to achieve that, too. I can't see anything in his peripherals to suggest his ERA is at all reflective of his pitching.

Yeah his ERA last year was construed by a few bad outings. His career FIP is above average and it gives this team a strong bullpen, which is one way to protect a young rotation.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well in the end the Pirates could have easily done the same as the Phillies for Buchholz.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps they didn't because they're being pretty aggressive about getting Quintana.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 year, $26 million deal, and Nova remains a Pirate.

Bucs still aggressively pursuing Quintana.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 year, $26 million deal, and Nova remains a Pirate.

Bucs still aggressively pursuing Quintana.

Yep and that is a good deal for Nova as a back end starter.
Quintana is interesting but from what I read I think the asking price might be fairly high?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and that is a good deal for Nova as a back end starter.
Quintana is interesting but from what I read I think the asking price might be fairly high?

I assume it would take 3 of the top 6-8 prospects.

Bell+ Glasnow/Kellar + Hayes/Newman or something like that. Feels like a lot, but Quintana has 4 very reasonable years left on hi deal.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Makes sense due to his 4 reasonable years left. I just don't see NH letting go of the prospects.
It is good having Nova around so they have a decent enough top 4 if Kuhl and Taillon play as they did this last season.

Side note Brady Dragmire is gone again this offseason: Bluejays -> Pirates -> Rangers -> Pirates and now back to the Rangers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Makes sense due to his 4 reasonable years left. I just don't see NH letting go of the prospects.
It is good having Nova around so they have a decent enough top 4 if Kuhl and Taillon play as they did this last season.

Side note Brady Dragmire is gone again this offseason: Bluejays -> Pirates -> Rangers -> Pirates and now back to the Rangers.

#DragmiresQuagmire #giggity

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates Designate Willy Garcia For Assignment

Odd choice to DFA with all the relief pitchers, he is more likely to get picked up. I know he hasn't been great in AAA but his potential seems to still have some value?

I think his strikeout problems will keep teams from giving up anything for him. It's a shame to lose him, but he's not likely to contribute here, and you never know how many arms you'll need.