• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Pirates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Eovaldi, was surprised to see he's only 26, feels like he's been around forever.

First off it has been a while, good to see you online here again! :suds:

Anyway yeah i thought the same thing it seems like it was 4 to 5 years ago wanting this guy.

On another note Vancy Worley was DFA'ed, I think he could be a useful bullpen/spot starter again for the Pirates.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to think that the Liriano/McCutchen money will go to 2 veteran SP. Maybe even include Watson and Harrison money then it gets interesting.

Maybe a McCutchen and Watson package for Victor Robles, Reynaldo Lopez and Gio Gonzalez?

Then send something along the lines of Tyler Glasnow and Cole Tucker for Chris Sale.

Gonzalez's contract is $12M in '17 and $12M option in '18
Sale's contract is $12M in '17, $12.5M option in '18 and $15M option in '19 + incentives

Both Gonzalez and Sale would be affordable and the option years give the Pirates an out if something goes wrong.

Seriously both good deals. I don't think the Sox would take Glasnow and Tucker only. Or if only one Pitcher it probably would be Taillon in the discussions.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off it has been a while, good to see you online here again! :suds:

Anyway yeah i thought the same thing it seems like it was 4 to 5 years ago wanting this guy.

On another note Vancy Worley was DFA'ed, I think he could be a useful bullpen/spot starter again for the Pirates.

Good to talk to you guys again.

I'd give Worley a minor league deal, stash him in AAA if possible. Feel like the Pirates are pretty stocked with backend starters though, and he doesn't seem like a good bullpen candidate.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruby De La Rosa seems like a guy the Pirates should be interested in.

Ross/Torres + B prospect + lottery ticket would be an acceptable package for Cutch, IMO.

De La Rosa had Tommy John, right? I agree, we should go after him now. Have him do his rehab with us. We've had success rehabbing guys from TJ, and his value will be at its lowest going into a lost season. The guy misses bats, though, and there's definitely something to work with there.

I'd be a lot more hesitant about Tyson Ross coming off shoulder surgery, but he's also kind of interesting.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to talk to you guys again.

I'd give Worley a minor league deal, stash him in AAA if possible. Feel like the Pirates are pretty stocked with backend starters though, and he doesn't seem like a good bullpen candidate.

I don't think I'd bother with Worley. We already have Brault, Williams, Duncan, Hutchison, and various other guys who can fill that role for less money with more upside. Plus Kingham will return this year from his TJ, maybe be stretched out by mid-season to be an option to compete for the #5 position. Bringing in a guy who's hurt but could be better than a #5/spot starter like Ross or De La Rosa, or bringing in a veteran who could also fill in as a reliever like Eovaldi makes sense, but Worley seems redundant for the reasons you mention.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the bullpen, I'd be giving Brad Ziegler a long look. In this market, his value will be depressed, and he's been pretty effective the past several years. We need another righty to complement Rivero, Watson, and Nicasio in the late innings. He'd be a change of pace, but we'd only have to commit two years to him, and I could see him being especially effective coming in after one of our fireballers, or setting up those fireballers by throwing ahead of them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market for Jose Bautista seems pretty weak early on. If the Pirates trade Cutch, he might not be a bad target, especially if he's willing to take a one or two year deal to recover his value. He'd be easy to hide in RF in PNC Park, and most of the outfields in the Central are smallish anyway. If the Pirates trade McCutchen, and if Bautista's market stays poor, it would be a decent use of those dollars.

If he hits, and Meadows shows he's ready, he'd be a decent trade piece mid-season, too, looking for an upgrade elsewhere.

Though, once McCutchen moves and Fowler signs, the market for Joey Bats could get pretty hot, and then he wouldn't be worth the risk and the money. But I'd ask him how he'd feel about a return to Pittsburgh until that point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, this is going to be the easiest year to cover the loss of Cutch with a free agent acquisition. If we can get a nice return for him, we should do it, because we can cover a good chunk of that lost value pretty easily, especially with so little money tied up in contracts right now. And with Meadows knocking on the door, we might not even need to.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder the Nats turned down Robles and Giolito coming back for McCutchen. If they can get Sale instead for a package around those two I would do that also. With that said I wonder what the real market for McCutchen is now?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder the Nats turned down Robles and Giolito coming back for McCutchen. If they can get Sale instead for a package around those two I would do that also. With that said I wonder what the real market for McCutchen is now?

The Dodgers and De Leon seem like good trade partners. No one else seems to have anything interesting enough for the Pirates to want. Perhaps they'd still match up with the Nationals if the Nats were willing to send us Gio, Ross, and Lopez, plus another decent prospect.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please get some pitching, think a good starter and reliever/closer would be possible. I think they should be bale to get 2 for 1 here, has many years left and is not sky high in price. He will get back to old form.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe 3/4 for 1. Would rather have quality over quantity.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jake Odorizzi rumor is interesting.

Getting a solid #3 would go a long way shoring up the rotation.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odorizzi would be a nice pitcher to have. There were discussions last season in regards to picking him up. I wonder if the deal is going to be similar or is McCutchen now in those talks?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine McCutchen is what the Rays would want. I assume it would be some package of mid level prospects.

Eaton to Nats, McCutchen might be staying around this year.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles are looking for an outfielder. Wonder if Clutch would interest them???

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the price for a guy like Pomeranz or Buchholz would have come down due to the Sale acquisition. Buchholz was pretty down last year, and I guess there's no guarantee he'd recover, but Pomeranz would be a good get and affordable still being in arbitration with only one full season as a starting pitcher under his belt.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't imagine McCutchen is what the Rays would want. I assume it would be some package of mid level prospects.

Eaton to Nats, McCutchen might be staying around this year.

It looks to be that way. And truthfully not like it is a bad thing. Hopefully he has a good bounceback year to make hit still valuable come next offseason or if they are out of it during the trade deadline.