• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Offseason

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ATL96Steeler I think the only way you do it is if you think he will help you win your second championship in a row (see what I did there?). It's an interesting take man. I haven't even thought about the possibility of them not keeping him on the tag for the second year if it came to it. Just kind of assumed they would and then let him walk after that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ATL96Steeler I think the only way you do it is if you think he will help you win your second championship in a row (see what I did there?). It's an interesting take man. I haven't even thought about the possibility of them not keeping him on the tag for the second year if it came to it. Just kind of assumed they would and then let him walk after that.

Yes, and I like the way you think!

They know Bell is a special player which obviously is why they have reached this far. But, just based on well DWil performed with this team they also have to know they will get pretty good results from any capable RB. Maybe not Bell like production, but good enough to win games in Jan/Feb.

Not that I want to see Bell leave, but I'm really wanted to see Tuitt & Shazier (perhaps Dupree) locked up long term. The way I'm looking at this picture...if they do take #7 this season...Ben might really shut it down. But even if he doesn't, 2 yrs is probably all we can count...Bell w/o Ben won't mean squat as DEFs will be able to stack the box on the regular.

Continue to develop that DEF and when Ben does call it a career, they can compete with a strong DEF and whatever they get from the new QB.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Ben hangs it up we're screwed for a while lol.

I kind of think he might play a good while longer. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that wants the anonymity of retirement. I think he likes to talk about retirement, mainly so people talk about how important he is, lol... but I don't think he really wants to walk off.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Ben hangs it up we're screwed for a while lol.

I kind of think he might play a good while longer. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that wants the anonymity of retirement. I think he likes to talk about retirement, mainly so people talk about how important he is, lol... but I don't think he really wants to walk off.

Pretty much, but if the young DEF has matured...I can see them hanging around .500, but it's typically better to be 4-12 I suppose if you're trying to land a franchise QB.

Again, I like the way you think! LOL...but, I'm starting to lean the other way on Ben, his body has taken a beating. If he gets a 3rd ring this yr or next I can see him walking away. His kids are getting a little older now, if they want him around more it kinda make sense to hang it up.

I'm giving him 2 yrs max.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, one shitty year after Ben retires puts us in decent position to find his successor. I'm ok with a little suffering to get that leg up again.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shitty year "could" get us a replacement. They aren't always there, in every class. It could EASILY take a decade to replace him. Don't forget that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shitty year "could" get us a replacement. They aren't always there, in every class. It could EASILY take a decade to replace him. Don't forget that.

I'm not looking forward to it, but it's inevitable...we survived the gap from Bradshaw to Ben, we'll survive the gap from Ben to ???.

They haven't been able to do anything with him yet, but amazing how lucky (pardon the pun) IND was landing Luck.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not looking forward to it, but it's inevitable...we survived the gap from Bradshaw to Ben, we'll survive the gap from Ben to ???.

They haven't been able to do anything with him yet, but amazing how lucky (pardon the pun) IND was landing Luck.
Green Bay got Rodgers right after Favre too. That was in the back of my mind this draft season too with QB's falling to the back end of the first (Kizer).

Bradshaw to Ben felt like forever haha. Malone, Brister, O'Donnell, Stewart, Maddox... salvation.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Bay got Rodgers right after Favre too. That was in the back of my mind this draft season too with QB's falling to the back end of the first (Kizer).

Bradshaw to Ben felt like forever haha. Malone, Brister, O'Donnell, Stewart, Maddox... salvation.

David Woodley was actually thought to be a player...yeah, the dark period I refer to it.

GB...that's true and Favre was still there when they drafted Rodgers.

What's even scarier now imo...the jump from CFB to the NFL was always a sizeable one, but the college game has changed so much in terms of the QB position that it's moved further away from the skillset needed to succeed at the pro level.

I know it stems from HS football. The kid that can run and throw is so effective at that level that he becomes becomes the hot blue chip recruit. Dual threat QBs can play earlier and have success at the college level. But, when they get to the NFL where everybody is a great athlete, they have to learn a different way to play the game, and they only get 4 yrs to learn it. A lot of these kids have the talent to play QB at this level, but the learning curve is longer, certainly longer than 4 yrs.

The drop back passing QB at the HS level is a rare breed which is making it a rare breed at the college level. UGA has this kid now that I expect will be a 1st round pick...big kid, big arm...Jacob Eason, 6'5" 235ish soph...I'd like to see him in a Steelers uniform.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Woodley was actually thought to be a player...yeah, the dark period I refer to it.

GB...that's true and Favre was still there when they drafted Rodgers.

What's even scarier now imo...the jump from CFB to the NFL was always a sizeable one, but the college game has changed so much in terms of the QB position that it's moved further away from the skillset needed to succeed at the pro level.

I know it stems from HS football. The kid that can run and throw is so effective at that level that he becomes becomes the hot blue chip recruit. Dual threat QBs can play earlier and have success at the college level. But, when they get to the NFL where everybody is a great athlete, they have to learn a different way to play the game, and they only get 4 yrs to learn it. A lot of these kids have the talent to play QB at this level, but the learning curve is longer, certainly longer than 4 yrs.

The drop back passing QB at the HS level is a rare breed which is making it a rare breed at the college level. UGA has this kid now that I expect will be a 1st round pick...big kid, big arm...Jacob Eason, 6'5" 235ish soph...I'd like to see him in a Steelers uniform.
I really couldn't have said it better myself as far as developing the talent.

I'll have to look into Eason. I'm not familiar yet.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bradshaw to Ben was forever, but it didn't HAVE to be....

HA7xxAl.jpg

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mentioning that name will put you in the penalty box til the regular season starts. Now that you've been warned I don't expect you to ever make that mistake again! If you do, YOU don't want to know who will be put in the penalty box with you.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Bell going for more than what was offered.

His career could end at any moment and he plays arguably the most physical position in football (RB, the other is LB). He is without a doubt top 2-3 at his position, so him holding out is more so him wanting to change the market. Although I do think that Bell should have accepted this deal ($12M per is outstanding, $4M more than McCoy), but I can see why Bell wants to stand firm.

I hope Steelers fans don’t take Bell dismissing the offer as a slight to the organization. The NFL is a business, and the players have to be loyal to themselves and their families’ well-being first and foremost.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
conner24_ - Grateful and humbled. Appreciate y'all forreal God truly has a plan. Still have a lot to prove... #HereWeGo