• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Off season Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Elliott Friedman's 30 Thoughts

7. Vegas has 11 defencemen on one-way contracts. The Golden Knights are an ideal trade partner, but it’s a bit of poker — other clubs might wait until waivers become a factor. Vegas had the hammer around the expansion draft and wielded it. Now, it’s the reverse.

26. Taylor Hall made three significant changes to his off-season preparation. First, he returned to the ice two months earlier than normal, in June instead of August. Second, “I wanted to become a better skater. I took power skating for the first time,” working with the respected Dawn Braid, who has a relationship with both John Tavares and the Arizona Coyotes. Third, “I moved to Toronto this summer for the first time in my life, to skate with NHL guys.” His peers included Tavares, Jason Spezza, Jeff Skinner and Sam Gagner.

Hall chose not to live downtown, going to a quieter area in the west end. “It was really easy to get to my gym. My dad trained me my whole life, taught a lot of speed, athletics. It was either Matt Nichol, Andy O’Brien or Gary Roberts. I went with Andy, and he helped me get a bit stronger, a bit more balanced.”

27. Hall had a ton of praise for the Islanders’ captain. “After skating with Tavares all summer… not that I didn’t respect him before, but he’s World Class. I always knew that, but his preparation, he’s a professional, the stuff he does on the ice…It’s fun to surround yourself with people like that because it just forces you to raise your game. Even though you’re skating at a community rink at 11 o’clock on a Wednesday, you’re still like, ‘Okay this guy is working on his game and he’s top 10 in the world, I should be there, too.’”

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nice to see that regarding Hall.
As for the off season, can't really complain at all. Butcher coming to NJ was not expected. Hard to say this team did not significantly improve with the additions of Nico, Butcher, and Johansson.
Defense will probably be a struggle, but hoping improvements to the transition game downplay that somewhat.

I like the Severson contract. If guys like Damon and Zacha step it up, we have a nice young core moving forward.
Training camp should be lot of fun and competitive. Miles Wood had a strong last season and should be a factor this season. McLeod and Quenneville will do their best to make the team.

Compare to what we saw few years ago, Palmieri would be the young guy on the roster. Now, he is one of the older guys at 26.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see Hall stepping it up...

But he better not get too buddy buddy with Tavares...

or else we'll hear those NYI rumors REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL quick

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid, should be a step up from Johnny Mac. Now to find out who Sheri's replacement will be on the radio side of things.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Zacha to win that starting spot.

Leave Mojo where he's best at IMO. (if that means C so be it)

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I understand they are trying not to put too much pressure on Nico, but if he somehow dominates in training camp, who knows.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nico deserves it, let him play...

let our youths play, some point they need to learn....

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ideally Zacha wins it and Henrique is our number 2 to start the year. Mojo I want on second line so that we have two legitimate scoring lines.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay everyone.... most have been here a long time... for the good and bad.... so realistic outcome for this season??? Bad, good, do we have a shot... I have been kind of quite this off season so not really sure what to expect.... I am debating on getting Center Ice... but I have not for the last few years because I knew we were not going to be good... just wondering if you all think it may be worth it this year or skip again and see....

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay everyone.... most have been here a long time... for the good and bad.... so realistic outcome for this season??? Bad, good, do we have a shot... I have been kind of quite this off season so not really sure what to expect.... I am debating on getting Center Ice... but I have not for the last few years because I knew we were not going to be good... just wondering if you all think it may be worth it this year or skip again and see....

Tough to say. Most likely outcome is we miss the playoffs. Best case scenario we sneak in. Schneider should rebound and I think our offense should be real fun to watch.

The young defenseman are the make or break factor here and I don't think anyone knows what to expect. If they play to their potential/take the necessary steps forward we should do well. If they don't then we'll struggle again.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to say. Most likely outcome is we miss the playoffs. Best case scenario we sneak in. Schneider should rebound and I think our offense should be real fun to watch.

The young defenseman are the make or break factor here and I don't think anyone knows what to expect. If they play to their potential/take the necessary steps forward we should do well. If they don't then we'll struggle again.

That's what I was thinking... I guess the optimism is that we are in no way going to finish last again? As long as we possibly will be in the hunt, I may tune it and get center ice... I miss watching my devils, but I knew that last few years were going to be bad.... this year is different it seems...

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Totally agree with NM. I would get center ice. I cannot wait for the hockey season to start. Not sure if Devils make the playoffs but regardless, they should be fun to watch this season and I do think they surprise a lot of people.
Hope Nico makes the team and is the same player I watched last year in the world juniors.

I watched that game and said damn, Devils need this guy. First goal. Charlie McAvoy is no scrub. He made him look foolish.
Besides Nico, we got good group on offense. D is where I worry. Butcher was a nice pickup though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar to my niners, I got the NFL Sunday Ticket(thru a friend) and despite my niners absolutely sucking and were predicted to suck, I am using it to watch my young talent develop.

So for that reason, if we do put out Nico, Mcleod with Hall and others... I would do it(if financially reasonable). Watch our Devils grow and whats the worst to happen? we lose? if already anticipating a poor season than the only they could really disappoint is winning.

Now for my expectations... i see that there's a thread for that. I'll post there. lol

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also add or admit, before like two months to the end of season, even suffering all the losses I didn't even realize we were that far down in the standings.

So if we do suffer again, perhaps it would be less painful and noticeable? lol

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
haven't posted in awhile. have to get into my preseason posting warmed up!

so tavares and hall seem buddy buddy? both hit ufa soon and both training in toronto? nice! lol

zacha by default should just get the 1c spot and see if he runs with it. your drafted #6 what 3 years ago? time to put up or shut up at this point. i want to make the playoffs like everyone else but i'm all for taking this year "off" if it means these kids develop and get their legs.