• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NL CENTRAL DISCUSSION

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's reason to be down on each player though. Fowler, Carp, and Piscotty are the only three players that I think will perform well throughout the season. You will get flashes from other players, but I honestly do not know of a year in which the cardinals have looked this lackluster going into spring training. The offense looks average to me, the defense is slightly above, but the pitching looks like a load of crap with Reyes out. Reyes could've turned into that staff ace that the cardinals need right now. Had Reyes been healthy you might have a pretty good pitching staff, but without him you have Martinez (who is probably best suited for the 2nd position, but not a staff ace and definitely not a top ten talent.) and a bunch of MOR guys.
Diaz?

Reyes probably would've been the #2. A Hendricks is what the Cardinals needed to get into serious contention but I do think his injury takes them out of the contender conversation without a lot of things breaking right.

Last year the Cardinals were awful at home. Just awful. I doubt that trend continues. They still won 86 games. I think I'd be a little surprised if they won less than 88 with Oh in there.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz?

Reyes probably would've been the #2. A Hendricks is what the Cardinals needed to get into serious contention but I do think his injury takes them out of the contender conversation without a lot of things breaking right.

Last year the Cardinals were awful at home. Just awful. I doubt that trend continues. They still won 86 games. I think I'd be a little surprised if they won less than 88 with Oh in there.
I realized I forgot about Diaz right after posting. I'm still skeptical on Diaz. I think he hits a wall this year as pitchers start to figure him out. However, I will acknowledge that he is actually 50/50. He could be great or he could be bad and anywhere in between. I wouldn't be surprised if the cards fail to get to 80 wins this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized I forgot about Diaz right after posting. I'm still skeptical on Diaz. I think he hits a wall this year as pitchers start to figure him out. However, I will acknowledge that he is actually 50/50. He could be great or he could be bad and anywhere in between. I wouldn't be surprised if the cards fail to get to 80 wins this year.
We'll see. I guess I'm going on a wild limb here by thinking youre either a Cubs fan or a Brewers fan.

Who do you see finishing 2nd the NL-C?

Last edited:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I guess I'm going on a wild limb here by thinking youre either a Cubs fan or a Brewers fan.

Who do you see finishing 2nd the NL-C?
I'm a Cubs fan that spent the last 2 years living in St. Louis. And I have no idea. I could see anyone coming in second in the NL central this year. I think the second place team will be closer to the fifth place team than to the Cubs though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Cubs fan that spent the last 2 years living in St. Louis. And I have no idea. I could see anyone coming in second in the NL central this year. I think the second place team will be closer to the fifth place team than to the Cubs though.
Winning usually breeds optimism. Its been awhile since the Cardinals were completely out of playoff contention.

If you've been in STL then you'd know that Cardinals fans, Blues fans and Rams fans generally had different qualities. Imo, Blues fans are the loudest, Cards fans the most confident and Rams fans were usually pretty quiet.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning usually breeds optimism. Its been awhile since the Cardinals were completely out of playoff contention.

If you've been in STL then you'd know that Cardinals fans, Blues fans and Rams fans generally had different qualities. Imo, Blues fans are the loudest, Cards fans the most confident and Rams fans were usually pretty quiet.
You nailed it with that. Cards fans were definitely the most aggrivating.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As reality being what it is, when you win games, you have to beat somebody. If the teams you beat a year ago are better, then you might win fewer games. I can see the bottom part of the NL-C closing the spread just a wee bit. Maybe the Brewers aren't better but I think the Reds are -- maybe 5 or 6 games better.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs fan here. I've learned to never count out the Cards. As opposing fans - what do you guys think of Shwarber leading off????

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs fan here. I've learned to never count out the Cards. As opposing fans - what do you guys think of Shwarber leading off????
It would certainly be unconventional.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as yadi is behind the plate the cards will always be on the positive side of .500 . The show doesnt keep rolling without him.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would love to see Rizzo, KB, Shwarber bat 3,4,5. I guess it is just too conventional to do ha. Apparently 1.Shwarber 2. KB 3. Rizz 4. Zobrist is the way he is going to go. I swear last yr I thought the Cubs lost a ton of swag when ShwRber got hurt but they overcame it.. That's a lot of bang early in the lineup. Contreras batting 5th will be a huge key. Not sure about him just yet.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as yadi is behind the plate the cards will always be on the positive side of .500 . The show doesnt keep rolling without him.

I totally agree with this. He is just a freaking winner. As many stats that are shown every baseball game- I really think they should add the C winning percentage when he plays. I know they have it but they don't show it enough especially for a career. Sure personal catchers for aces will be tainted but to me what Molina has done year in and year out is amazing

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Time to start winding Yadi down. His behind the plate has been left behind...

I could see the Cards finishing 3rd as I am not sold on any pitcher not named Martinez. I do think Lynn will be a 2.5 SP...Waino is done, Leake is a 3.5 SP...no solid 2. They have a big gap before finding more talent in their minors. The key is always pitching and I am not sold on it. Wasn't last year and Wacha is good for only a half season with that shoulder issue.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any camp cut surprises?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start winding Yadi down. His behind the plate has been left behind...

I could see the Cards finishing 3rd as I am not sold on any pitcher not named Martinez. I do think Lynn will be a 2.5 SP...Waino is done, Leake is a 3.5 SP...no solid 2. They have a big gap before finding more talent in their minors. The key is always pitching and I am not sold on it. Wasn't last year and Wacha is good for only a half season with that shoulder issue.

Carson Kelly looks like a pretty good heir to Yadier's throne.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying more attention to the Reds than the others naturally. This could be a very important season for this pitching staff. Obvious problems are that the guys who are looking ahead to making the big BIG money are having trouble staying on the field. Notables are Iglesias and DeSclafani, who are absolutely vital to this rebuild.

Price is on the hot seat but he can't be blamed if his pitchers include guys they kick off the lemon tree on the first day of April.

Reds figure to score another half-run, statistically, this year if the offense stays intact. If the bullpen is a half-run better, I think a chance to catch the Pirates is realistic.

Watch for breakout year from Scott Schebler. Question marks behind the plate -- if Mesoraco can't catch, he can't play. Reds may be forced to make a deal. The backups are uninspiring or too young.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying more attention to the Reds than the others naturally. This could be a very important season for this pitching staff. Obvious problems are that the guys who are looking ahead to making the big BIG money are having trouble staying on the field. Notables are Iglesias and DeSclafani, who are absolutely vital to this rebuild.

Price is on the hot seat but he can't be blamed if his pitchers include guys they kick off the lemon tree on the first day of April.

Reds figure to score another half-run, statistically, this year if the offense stays intact. If the bullpen is a half-run better, I think a chance to catch the Pirates is realistic.

Watch for breakout year from Scott Schebler. Question marks behind the plate -- if Mesoraco can't catch, he can't play. Reds may be forced to make a deal. The backups are uninspiring or too young.

I dont think my Pirates are locks for a good year. It looks like we are going young - 3 starters playing their first full season in the bigs Taillon Kuhl and Bell- and a couple blue chip prospects in AAA.

I think our next big move is trading McCutchen over the next 10 months, it sucks but it is what it is.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our next big move is trading McCutchen over the next 10 months, it sucks but it is what it is.

The Pirates are heavy into metrics and apparently Cutch isn't showing that he's the center fielder we see with the eye test. Moving him to RF was not accidental.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds get Gennett from the Brewers on waivers. Is a Cozart deal looming?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs (98 wins) will be the only playoff team.