• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 News & Transactions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a LOT of buzz about Stubbs right now. It may just be an example of a name getting dropped into the hopper and everyone referencing each other, but I am seeing his name in all corners of the fringe right now...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a LOT of buzz about Stubbs right now. It may just be an example of a name getting dropped into the hopper and everyone referencing each other, but I am seeing his name in all corners of the fringe right now...
Wouldn't be surprised if he comes up either if Pence or Span go on the dl or when the Giants jettison Hill or Marrero.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen some noise about Stubbs from the beat writers, but very little from my sources who see the games. It worries me a bit, not because I think my sources are better than the beat writers, but they (beat writers) tend to bring up known names as opposed to no-names, since they generally don't have the time to invest much in whats going on in the minors. They see Stubbs hits a couple of homers and maybe hear from some Giants guys that he's doing alright and they have a story.

Stubbs hasn't been a good player outside of one great season in Colorado, and one good season in Cincinnati. His career home/away splits are utter garbage when considering he's played in some of the best home ballparks in baseball.

I really think Gorkys has to go (he has a -1.0 WAR in 14 games.... this is worse than McGee bad). But Stubbs ain't the answer.

The answer should be Leonys Martin. The Giants should be ALL OVER this. They have very high waiver priority, should be able to get him if they want him (they should). He's a bad hitter, but a tremendous, proven defender. And he can hit one out every now and then.

Mariners Designate Leonys Martin For Assignment

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer should be Leonys Martin. The Giants should be ALL OVER this. They have very high waiver priority, should be able to get him if they want him (they should). He's a bad hitter, but a tremendous, proven defender. And he can hit one out every now and then.

Mariners Designate Leonys Martin For Assignment

:nono: Actually the Giants *don't* have good waiver priority. :nono:

It isn't until the 30th day of the new season that this year's record is used to determine waiver order - before that, the standings at the end of last season are used (well, unless the rule got changed this year). The Giants were 9th in the majors at the end of 2017, so ... 20 teams get a crack before it drops to the Giants. (It's 20 instead of 21 because SEA had a worse record than the Giants last year.)

{cough} yes, I am still alive {cough} :2cents:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Martin us due $4.85M for 2017 - if the Giants claim him, they must pay him. If they wait until he is a free agent they only have to pay ~ $500K (since he was designated and has over 3 years of service time, he'll become a FA if unclaimed). Plus, they have a pretty good story : "we need a full-time OF, and at AT&T we need at least two CFs - want to play for a team that has 3 WS titles in the past 7 years?".

On the down side, he's a lefty so his little power would basically be nullified at PacBell, and he doesn't walk a lot. But if he's smart, he could get a lot more doubles and triples playing in SF.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Martin us due $4.85M for 2017 - if the Giants claim him, they must pay him. If they wait until he is a free agent they only have to pay ~ $500K (since he was designated and has over 3 years of service time, he'll become a FA if unclaimed). Plus, they have a pretty good story : "we need a full-time OF, and at AT&T we need at least two CFs - want to play for a team that has 3 WS titles in the past 7 years?".

On the down side, he's a lefty so his little power would basically be nullified at PacBell, and he doesn't walk a lot. But if he's smart, he could get a lot more doubles and triples playing in SF.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Yeah Martin is basically a 4th OFer, but a pretty good one because of his defense. Given our dire situation, he'd probably be the 2nd best outfielder.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for clarifying that!

Yeah Martin is basically a 4th OFer, but a pretty good one because of his defense. Given our dire situation, he'd probably be the 2nd best outfielder.
In a legit OF, Pence should be the 3rd best OFer. On this team, he is the best, and it isn't even close.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates called up a 24 year old catcher straight out of high A ball today. Among the 5 catchers that they bypassed between AAA and AA was Jackson Williams. This catcher's numbers were awful too for a 24 year old in single A (and just awful period). They must of realized last minute that they needed a catcher for today's game, in case of injury, and went for the one closest to Miami. Really bizarre move though.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a legit OF, Pence should be the 3rd best OFer. On this team, he is the best, and it isn't even close.

You know what's weird, Belt probably has the best outfield arm on the team...

This year is off to a bizarre start

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bickford, who is serving a 50 game suspension for pot, was hit in the pitching hand while doing some work in extended spring training and will be out 8-12 weeks after needing surgery. What a bad trade for both sides.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bickford, who is serving a 50 game suspension for pot, was hit in the pitching hand while doing some work in extended spring training and will be out 8-12 weeks after needing surgery. What a bad trade for both sides.
You gotta think the Giants knew about Bickford's pending suspension, and that they communicated that to the Crew. That explains why the trade SEEMED so one-sided at the time.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta think the Giants knew about Bickford's pending suspension, and that they communicated that to the Crew. That explains why the trade SEEMED so one-sided at the time.

I don't know about that. I mean it's just pot, not like he was using a PED.

Granted, I do know a few behind the scenes things that may have led them to question his character, and the fact that many other teams believed he would be nothing more than a reliever himself, hurting his value.

I think the trade, on paper, is actually really fair for both sides. Unfortunately it hasn't worked that way at all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have apparently DFA'd the heart of all their players.

There is no fear that it will be claimed by another team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have apparently put out feelers to gauge Pences trade value...

I know this sort of thing probably happens all the time, but it is good to know that the FO is considering the inconsiderable...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have apparently put out feelers to gauge Pences trade value...

I know this sort of thing probably happens all the time, but it is good to know that the FO is considering the inconsiderable...

IDK where you heard that, but there's a TON of factors that make a Pence trade extremely unlikely.

The biggest obstacle being his 10/5 rights. I highly doubt he will agree to any trade. He loves it in SF, his wife is there, his home is right there in the city, he has totally embraced the SF lifestyle. Add in that he has made great friendships on the team and is a leader in the clubhouse.

Does this stop the Giants from putting out feelers? No. But even if there was a deal out there, Pence will not agree to it.