• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Lakers Off Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm liking the talks with George Hill.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm liking the talks with George Hill.

He's a FAR better signing than the names that we've seen the last couple of days. It looks like his agent fucked up big time (turned down big money and years from the Jazz) and now he's basically the last PG left standing so he likely won't get what he was hoping for contract wise. Which is why coming to LA would work for him now. He can come here on a 1 year and try to earn back some cash.

A bit of caution though is he spent most of last season banged up (including the playoffs) and that's likely why his market isn't what he thought it was. I bet teams aren't convinced he's healthy so that's why he's still out there. I'd still take him because this team isn't going anywhere this season anyway so there's no loss for LA here at all. Its just something for folks to keep in mind if he signs and people are disappointed that he's not playing up to the level they are use to seeing from him

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a FAR better signing than the names that we've seen the last couple of days. It looks like his agent fucked up big time (turned down big money and years from the Jazz) and now he's basically the last PG left standing so he likely won't get what he was hoping for contract wise. Which is why coming to LA would work for him now. He can come here on a 1 year and try to earn back some cash.

A bit of caution though is he spent most of last season banged up (including the playoffs) and that's likely why his market isn't what he thought it was. I bet teams aren't convinced he's healthy so that's why he's still out there. I'd still take him because this team isn't going anywhere this season anyway so there's no loss for LA here at all. Its just something for folks to keep in mind if he signs and people are disappointed that he's not playing up to the level they are use to seeing from him

Agree. Some potential good forune for the Lakers. The injury is a little bit of a concern as he missed 23 games last year. However, even with that, he still scored 16.9 ppg with 4.2 assists on 47.7% shooting and 40.3% from 3.

While I'm on record as saying I wouldn't have an issue with Rondo on a 1 year...I would muuuuuuch rather have Hill.

On Rondo, I read that the Lakers have had extensive talks with people who know him well to learn better how he was as a teammate, but they have yet to schedule a meeting with him.

Hopefully, they can sign Hill and not have to worry about Rondo.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit. Hill to the Kings, 3 years 57 mil. Still less than what he turned down from the Jazz

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some pretty darn good passes by Ball. This kid is really going to be good.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just signed KCP to a 1 year, 18 mil deal. That's actually a tad more than what LA has cap wise so someone else on the roster might get cut.

He's worth taking a flyer on. He's been disappointing if you were ever hoping he'd be a star but he's still pretty young. He can at least be a rotational player for the rest of his career. He's basically a 3 and D guy although personally, I don't think his D is all that good. He's a step slow and despite being a wing, can basically only guard shooting guards. Those limitations are basically why Detroit gave up on him

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers had to spend their cap money and he was the best FA still available.

And because they only want to sign one year deals, you have to pay the players more because they aren't getting the long-term security.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers add yet another guard in Caldwell-Pope. Not sure where is going to fit with all the guards we already have. It's a one-year deal for $18 million and change.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KCP will be a starter the kid is a beast at both end's of the floor. His game reminds me of a young D-Wade. Lakers are rising. Nobody on the team is less than 6'5. They will be big and fast athletic team. GO LAKERS!:suds:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this was a very good move just for a year-one deal for Caldwell-Pope. I get it that this is a business but David Nwaba was exactly the player the Lakers need. If Caldwell-Pope lives up to his past, the pain of the move might be reduced but IDK on this one.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-waive-david-nwaba-clear-180016865.html

It sucks he was the one to go. Liked what he brought to the game whenever he played.

But, the Lakers don't have enough minutes to go around with all the young players they have. Was Pope worth giving up Nwaba? Only time will tell.

I was of the opinion to let the young guys develop to see what you have before throwing money at FA's. They better hope they strike it rich in FA next year or all these 1 year deals and subsequent waives will all be for nought.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ok with this one year move. The Lakers are trying to win. Tanking is pointless this year. This deal will not hand cuff them for 2018.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ok with this one year move. The Lakers are trying to win. Tanking is pointless this year. This deal will not hand cuff them for 2018.

100% spot on.

KCP is a good defender, that alone will help. He was a former lottery pick who hasn't quite lived up to that status. His defense alone will help.

It's a no risk/potential high reward move.

Also, there is speculation that this may help lead to Lebron coming to the Lakers since KCP is part of Klutch sports.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this was a very good move just for a year-one deal for Caldwell-Pope. I get it that this is a business but David Nwaba was exactly the player the Lakers need. If Caldwell-Pope lives up to his past, the pain of the move might be reduced but IDK on this one.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-waive-david-nwaba-clear-180016865.html

It's totally worth it. Too many fans love Nwaba for his hustle on a bad team and don't realize what he actually is, a deep rotation bench player. He's fine, but he's not someone you hold onto. While I personally feel KCP is just a short rotational player capable of starting, he's a significant upgrade over Nwaba and a mild one over Clarkson. He's still young enough to where he might jumpstart his career as well. For a 1 year deal, you do that deal all day long.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So will the Lakers sign Rondo with the available $4.3M mid-level exception?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's totally worth it. Too many fans love Nwaba for his hustle on a bad team and don't realize what he actually is, a deep rotation bench player. He's fine, but he's not someone you hold onto. While I personally feel KCP is just a short rotational player capable of starting, he's a significant upgrade over Nwaba and a mild one over Clarkson. He's still young enough to where he might jumpstart his career as well. For a 1 year deal, you do that deal all day long.

Agree. Nwaba is what he is. He's a limited player who gets by on hustle. Nice to have, but there are any number of guys who can be pulled from the G-league (the fuck does the G stand for anyway?) that you can say the same thing about and several of those guys have more natural ability and/or are bigger than Nwaba.

A player like KCP on a 1 year deal is a no brainer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So will the Lakers sign Rondo with the available $4.3M mid-level exception?

Hard to say. According to an article I read this morning they have a few options available. They have had some talks with Rondo, are considering Tyler Ennis, but have not met with him yet. Also, Ian Clark, Isaiah Canaan and Ramon Sessions are available, but have not been pursued aggressively by the Lakers.