• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 LA Rams Training Camp Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We signed another kicker to apparently keep Zuerlein from getting too comfortable. Travis Coons, who spent some time with Cleveland, is our new kicker.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news. Sammy Watkins was taking in drills yesterday and will wear No. 2 for the preseason, his number at Clemson. Could still switch that for the regular season.

Bad news. Goff threw 3 picks and McVay said there could have been 2 more. McVay also said the defense was playing lights out.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Tavon Austin (hamstring) isn't expected to practice this week, and Sean McVay is unsure if he will be able to play in the preseason. ... RB Lance Dunbar (knee) is on PUP, and "it doesn't look like there's any resolution to that in the near future," McVay said. ... OLB Robert Quinn, ILB Alec Ogletree and CB Kayvon Webster were held out of the first preseason game merely as a precaution.

Sounds like we need to get another RB behind Gurley. And Tavon is going to be rusty when he finally is able to play.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news. Sammy Watkins was taking in drills yesterday and will wear No. 2 for the preseason, his number at Clemson. Could still switch that for the regular season.
Thought I read he had to switch to a two digit number required for NFL WR's. Marshall Faulk had Sammy on last Saturday's game broadcast and they were talking about SW wearing No. 14 like he wore in Buffalo, Watkins said he was going to have a conversation with Sean Mannion, but I'm not so sure Sean is going to be willing to give up his number so easily. His College No. 4 was taken when he came to the Rams by Greg Zuerlein, so he took his High School number (No. 14).

Either way this shakes out, No. 80 (Bruce) & 85 (Youngblood) are retired, so with the log jamb at WR there are not too many WR numbers left.

It would be interesting if he just one day came to practice wearing No. 11. :lol:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I read he had to switch to a two digit number required for NFL WR's. Marshall Faulk had Sammy on last Saturday's game broadcast and they were talking about SW wearing No. 14 like he wore in Buffalo, Watkins said he was going to have a conversation with Sean Mannion, but I'm not so sure Sean is going to be willing to give up his number so easily. His College No. 4 was taken when he came to the Rams by Greg Zuerlein, so he took his High School number (No. 14).

Either way this shakes out, No. 80 (Bruce) & 85 (Youngblood) are retired, so with the log jamb at WR there are not too many WR numbers left.

It would be interesting if he just one day came to practice wearing No. 11. :lol:

Tavon is #11 right? I doubt we can trade him with hammy issues UNLESS he doesn't have hammy issues and he's being shopped right now. :suds:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news. Goff threw 3 picks and McVay said there could have been 2 more. McVay also said the defense was playing lights out.
Let him press in practice to see what he can get away with vs a top NFL defense, and what he should stay away from.

Good to figure those things out on the practice field and not in game.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tavon is #11 right? I doubt we can trade him with hammy issues UNLESS he doesn't have hammy issues and he's being shopped right now. :suds:
You got that right, and I guess I am saying his 'Sammy' issues could be greater than his 'hammy' issues. :dhd:

JK, SW could end up being the key ingredient that TA needs to actually earn his paycheck.

Amazing what a deep threat can do for an offense.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Tidbits from Turf Times:

Cornerbacks
The Rams’ defensive depth was shown in the secondary on Saturday night; a unit once considered to be thin. Former USC Trojan CB Nickell Robey-Coleman proved to be a solid free agent addition.

Rookie CB Kevin Peterson was a pleasant surprise. The rookie UDFA out of Oklahoma St. was flying all around making plays all game. He ended the night leading the team with five tackles.

Second-year corner Michael Jordan played well too, defending a few passes that came his way.

Depth
The strength of the defense is definitely its front seven. With several key starters being held out as a precaution and Aaron Donald’s continued hold out, the backups shined. DE’s Matt Longacre and Morgan Fox proved they can hold their own. Rookie DL Tanzel Smart also looked solid.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've been reading/watching from a distance lately - kinda busy, but here's my take on things in Camp.

Aaron Donald - I have a feeling the Rams stay firm on negotiations here and try to make him play out his contract. Why? I don't think DT is a highly sought after position to tie up alot of money when the offense has been a struggle. Drafting a DT -- great, but signing JJ Watt money? I'm not so sure that's smart. And if the defense keeps playing at a high level, what do you do?

WRs - Watkins, Tavon, Woods -- one of them gets cut or traded after this year. I have a hard time seeing Watkins coming in for 1 year for a 2nd rounder, only to let him walk. If he does nothing and/or gets hurt I can see him being the one that gets cut. Cupp vs Woods -- If Cupp comes in like he has and out plays Woods, I think Woods could be one gone after this year. Unless Tavon does absolutely nothing, but McVay has praised Tavon's hard work during this rehab period.

Oline -- no idea what to think here besides Brown seems to be struggling. Let's hope they stay healthy.

RB -- Davis looked like Chris Johnson running against Dallas but can he hang onto the ball? Another RB might be a good idea to help out Gurley or be insurance.

QB -- Goff still makes me nervous. Will have to wait and see behind the real Oline, but I hope he can put it together.

CBs -- look deep and I see another reason why we shipped Gaines off. Tru, Webster, Robey-Coleman, Jordan looking good so far.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know most will think I'm out of my mind but if I'm the Rams I would be thinking outside the box on turning this team around. I would be calling teams to trade Donald. Yep! Yes he is elite but he could be replaced with another solid DT. He will never be worth more seeing he is still under contract for 2 more years on the cheap. Like SJ said do you really want to pay a DT 100m plus?? No way but that's what he is going to want. I'm guessing some team would give up a couple 1st and a couple 2nd to get him. That would set us up nice for the next two drafts and really stock pile some talent.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know most will think I'm out of my mind but if I'm the Rams I would be thinking outside the box on turning this team around. I would be calling teams to trade Donald. Yep! Yes he is elite but he could be replaced with another solid DT. He will never be worth more seeing he is still under contract for 2 more years on the cheap. Like SJ said do you really want to pay a DT 100m plus?? No way but that's what he is going to want. I'm guessing some team would give up a couple 1st and a couple 2nd to get him. That would set us up nice for the next two drafts and really stock pile some talent.
Coug, that was by far your most sane post to date. :thumb:

I like the idea, and in Wade's defensive system any solid DT fits right in.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coug, that was by far your most sane post to date. :thumb:

I like the idea, and in Wade's defensive system any solid DT fits right in.

Whoa thanks Mike. I didn't think anyone would agree with me. Unfortunately I don't think the Rams think outside the box at all. More than likely they will force him to play out his contract for the next two years way under paid and probably franchise him after that. Then he will be so pissed at the Rams he will not even think about resigning with them. Another reason to get a ransom of picks now.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't 100% disagree with you but the dude fills seats....big names fill the seats. If they deal Donald they had better start winning right now or the fan base will go nuts.
and who is Mike? lol

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa thanks Mike. I didn't think anyone would agree with me. Unfortunately I don't think the Rams think outside the box at all. More than likely they will force him to play out his contract for the next two years way under paid and probably franchise him after that. Then he will be so pissed at the Rams he will not even think about resigning with them. Another reason to get a ransom of picks now.

I could see the Rams getting 1 more year out of him and then trading him. Not sure anyone else wants that kind of contract on a DT though. If you trade him now he may hold some other team hostage.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Rams getting 1 more year out of him and then trading him. Not sure anyone else wants that kind of contract on a DT though. If you trade him now he may hold some other team hostage.

It would have to be to a team that has good cap space and that knows how to manage it better then the Rams. The Browns, Jags or Tennessee have tons of cap space. He really can't hold them hostage because he is under contract so once the season starts he has to play or be fined a ton. Then that team with cap space is more likely to give him an extension next year. Then everyone's happy.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't 100% disagree with you but the dude fills seats....big names fill the seats. If they deal Donald they had better start winning right now or the fan base will go nuts.
and who is Mike? lol
It's winning that fills most seats, not any individual players. If trading him and getting talent in return that'll improve the win-loss record happens, that'll definitely get bigger crowds to the Coliseum and Kroenke's palace.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade Trumaine, they'd better get a first and a second. WE could recoup the second we gave Buffalo just that quick.

No one is trading for him. The other team would have to pick up is ridiculous $17 million salary this year. The Rams would actually have to give up picks to deal him like Houston did with Brock. Again how does Snead have a job.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Camp sound bytes from McVay:

(On his evaluation of the offensive line this far into camp)
“I think they’ve done a good job. I think really we’re kind of starting to settle in where you look at (T) Rob Havenstein playing that right tackle position and (G) Jamon Brown playing right guard. I feel very good about (C) John Sullivan and what he’s done at the center position. I think (G) Rodger Saffold, he’s a special player that’s been able to play all over the place throughout the course of his career, but I think he would agree that left guard is probably his most natural spot. And then we know what a big addition (T) Andrew Whitworth has been for us, so we feel good about those players. It’s going to be about us continuing to develop that continuity up front that’s so vital, so important and obviously you want to be fortunate with the injuries. But, we’re continuing to find those guys that provide depth behind them, but with those five we feel pretty good about our starters and just looking to see those guys improve and continue to grow together.”