• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft Thread

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What, if anything, would you consider for the number one pick?

see thats the tricky stuff i'm always a fan of getting a known player for a pick or a prospect. for the #1 pick it would have to be an nhl player in the middle 20 years old a legit prospect and the teams #1

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The build doesn't sway me...

give me the guy who takes us over the top or close to respectability. Brings a new skill we don't have. Brings leadership and meaning back to our name.

Nolan's build is legit but if Nico's game is much much better on the offensive end, is it a deal breaker? nope.
Imo the different styles make it difficult. And it's just so dam close. When you watch footage there's a ton to like about both players. Nolan does have that big skilled NHL center look.His injuries do worry me. But he also put up great stats for missing games. Can he get them under control tho. But there's times nico makes a move that makes you just do a double take. Shero does seem to be building around skill and speed. But which is the better fit with the pieces already in place. With McLeod on the horizon. And I think he was a home run pick.Whick gives them is the best mesh. At this point I just can't wait for the draft and will trust Shero

Are the Devils running the draft party this year. Would be a great time imo

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i dont think they are doing a draft party go figure of all the years to do it too. they are having a korean concert at prudential that weekend.

would you do the 1st to the avs for duchene and the 4?

with duchene you will give hall that established legit #1 center he will probably rebound to put up 65-70pts with hall on his line. that probably is a realistic amount that nico or nolan will ever sniff. then you add the 4th pick and can draft a very nice piece still.

the team on paper will looooook instantly better going into next season.

hall duchene palm
kovy zacha henrique

i put kovy there because honestly him on this roster if they made this trade is way better then any possible return the devils would get for him. you dont have to worry about nolans health or if nico is legit. you throw money at shatenkirk and your set for a good season with a rebound from cory.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd your still getting a pic in the top 5!

i would really have to think about making this move.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think they are doing a draft party go figure of all the years to do it too. they are having a korean concert at prudential that weekend.

would you do the 1st to the avs for duchene and the 4?

with duchene you will give hall that established legit #1 center he will probably rebound to put up 65-70pts with hall on his line. that probably is a realistic amount that nico or nolan will ever sniff. then you add the 4th pick and can draft a very nice piece still.

the team on paper will looooook instantly better going into next season.

hall duchene palm
kovy zacha henrique

i put kovy there because honestly him on this roster if they made this trade is way better then any possible return the devils would get for him. you dont have to worry about nolans health or if nico is legit. you throw money at shatenkirk and your set for a good season with a rebound from cory.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd your still getting a pic in the top 5!

i would really have to think about making this move.

If that move happened I think you have to take D at 4. Not sure I'd do it though, that's a tough one.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
defensemen would make the most sense.... I'd still look at Tippett as a legit option should a deal like that happens...

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so just think you lock duchene up long term in 2 years and then hall in 3 years. you have a nice 1-2 punch while hopefully the kids mcloed john q woods bastian blendesi can fill out the 2nd and 3rd lines.

weird but if you asked me 2 years ago that the devils could have taylor hall and matt duchene on the their roster i would've jumped at the chance.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so just think you lock duchene up long term in 2 years and then hall in 3 years. you have a nice 1-2 punch while hopefully the kids mcloed john q woods bastian blendesi can fill out the 2nd and 3rd lines.

weird but if you asked me 2 years ago that the devils could have taylor hall and matt duchene on the their roster i would've jumped at the chance.

My argument is Duchene will be pricey. If the top 2 guys are half as good as advertised you get a stud for significantly less for the next 8-9 years.

After the top 2 the prospects turn in to a bit of a crap shoot.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's getting 6 now doubt he gets more then 7 since the cap isn't high. Any more and he proves himself out of contenders who are at the cap. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see either prospect putting up 60pts until year 3?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could also make the argument that you can get someone who can be better than Duchene at a cheaper rate.....

Is Nolan projected to be better than Duchene? if so, then you might have to pass on that offer.

Offer is still a good one though. 2 birds 1 stone...

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You could also make the argument that you can get someone who can be better than Duchene at a cheaper rate.....

Is Nolan projected to be better than Duchene? if so, then you might have to pass on that offer.

i think both nolan and nico are projected to be 60-70pt players thats if all goes well and i doubt its off the hop. with a ticking time bomb in hall can we wait 2-3 years for them to fully develop into full functioning #1 line players? worst thing to happen this year were the oilers making it to the playoffs and then almost the WCF.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duchene could also tell us to go eff ourselves and walk as a UFA. There's no guarantee he'd re-sign. With the number 1 guy you have control over them for almost a decade. What happens if we get Duchene for 2 years and he's out? For that matter what if Hall is gone at the end of his deal? Wouldn't it be nice to have the number 1 pick here to soften the blow?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duchene could also tell us to go eff ourselves and walk as a UFA. There's no guarantee he'd re-sign. With the number 1 guy you have control over them for almost a decade. What happens if we get Duchene for 2 years and he's out? For that matter what if Hall is gone at the end of his deal? Wouldn't it be nice to have the number 1 pick here to soften the blow?
very good point in regards to Duchene walking...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OHH my god absolutely....

Oilers making the playoffs and having a good run, even I could feel the heat from Hall...

god that made our situation look bad. I don't Oilers fans bitching now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah but honestly though we can't live in fear of that happening. if we do then we might as well just pack up and relocate the team. the team has a ton of cap space to pay whatever needs the player wants and billionaire owners to spend it. no more lou and his crazy ways so maybe its a place that UFA want to come to now?

i'm just thinking that if we did land duchene and the 4 pick that in 2 years time the team should really be on the cusp of doing some damage in the east. the 4 pick should be developed by then zacha will have turned into whatever he will end up being at that point and mcloed bastian john q all with 2 years under their belts same with wood.

meanwhile the rangers window will be all but closed the pens wont be there much longer you figure and the same with the caps

also i think its easier to sign your own UFA then it is to bring a guy into the fold. duchene will have experienced and got into a rhythm here in nj for 2 years then ups and leaves? not without serious consideration. then again trying to get him here in two years? thats a tougher sell.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but honestly though we can't live in fear of that happening. if we do then we might as well just pack up and relocate the team. the team has a ton of cap space to pay whatever needs the player wants and billionaire owners to spend it. no more lou and his crazy ways so maybe its a place that UFA want to come to now?

i'm just thinking that if we did land duchene and the 4 pick that in 2 years time the team should really be on the cusp of doing some damage in the east. the 4 pick should be developed by then zacha will have turned into whatever he will end up being at that point and mcloed bastian john q all with 2 years under their belts same with wood.

meanwhile the rangers window will be all but closed the pens wont be there much longer you figure and the same with the caps

also i think its easier to sign your own UFA then it is to bring a guy into the fold. duchene will have experienced and got into a rhythm here in nj for 2 years then ups and leaves? not without serious consideration. then again trying to get him here in two years? thats a tougher sell.
If we don't get Duchene now, who's to say we'll need him in two years time? We are loading up on Cs...

If Nolan/Nico pans out, then how we look at Duchene as a FA target rather than other potential areas of need?(whatever that would be)

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
chances are though he will probably be dealt before then and probably looking at being resigned before he even reaches UFA.

just look though at the current team they got cory locked up same with palm why weren't they a threat to leave?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chances are though he will probably be dealt before then and probably looking at being resigned before he even reaches UFA.

just look though at the current team they got cory locked up same with palm why weren't they a threat to leave?
blackmail?:noidea:

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Palmieri was an RFA so he really had no choice...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some hope for us?

Ray Shero's fingerprints are seen all over the 2017 Stanley Cup Final

Players he drafted or signed making an impact now include Jake Guentzel, Matt Murray, Conor Sheary, Olli Maatta, Bryan Rust, Scott Wilson and Tom Kuhnhackl.

With 11 picks in the 2017 draft - and, of course, the first-overall selection - the team has assets in place to move forward.

That doesn't necessarily mean the Devils will win a Stanley Cup immediately. But looking at Shero's proven track record, there's plenty of reason to be confident he can build a contender.