• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well look to the off season now. We could probably go BPA but here are 2 defenseman that should be around when we pick.

12. Cale Makar of the Alberta Junior League's Brooks Bandits has become something of a sensation since his flashy performance at the World Junior A Challenge in December. The dynamic offensive defenceman is a threat to Liljegren as the top defenceman in the draft and could yet be a Top 10 consideration. His range was from four to 29.

13. Finnish blueliner Miro Heiskanen of IFK is also in the mix for top defenceman in this draft and the last of the prospects who got some consideration for being in the top five of the entire draft. Four scouts had him in their Top 10, including one vote as high as third overall. He's a solid skating and puck-moving blueliner.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would love to draft Nico Hischier. I watched the world juniors and he was team Switzerland.
Versus USA, he scored 2 goals and almost tied it late in a game which the Swiss lost 3-2. Guy was very noticed in the tournament and probably will be gone by the time the Devils pick.

If you can trade the extra picks, do it. Star center, pure offensive talent, fast. Exactly what this team needs.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this team needs offense pure offense. i think offense is locked up long term on teams and hardly ever hit UFA.

i would go for the best play making center on the board if he isn't there then trade down OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

with duchense not being moved this deadline would you be open to dealing the pick to land him?

figure it would cost the pick and severson but your getting a guy that is just entering his prime like hall and can really can open up the game.

reason for thinking this way on giving up severson is that his play has dropped this season imo and with merrill stepping up a bit it sorta makes him expendable. what i would then turn around and do is offer max contract and 7.5 million a year to shatenkirk to qb the powerplay.

shatenkirk replaces severson and duchense replaces whoever we would've drafted. the team is in a semi win now mode with hall schinder being on this team. they have to make a move or two to show hall this is the place he wants to resign and they only have what 3 more years left to do it? you think he wants to stay if we haven't made the playoffs in his time here?

i read that the islanders met the avs offer for duchense on some level. that being brazal a pick but wouldn't budge on harmonic? who knows but this is a win/win for the av's they get 2 top 10 picks and a d man that hasn't even entered his prime and we get an established nhl center that with hall could put up 70pts.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team needs offense pure offense. i think offense is locked up long term on teams and hardly ever hit UFA.

i would go for the best play making center on the board if he isn't there then trade down OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

with duchense not being moved this deadline would you be open to dealing the pick to land him?

figure it would cost the pick and severson but your getting a guy that is just entering his prime like hall and can really can open up the game.

reason for thinking this way on giving up severson is that his play has dropped this season imo and with merrill stepping up a bit it sorta makes him expendable. what i would then turn around and do is offer max contract and 7.5 million a year to shatenkirk to qb the powerplay.

shatenkirk replaces severson and duchense replaces whoever we would've drafted. the team is in a semi win now mode with hall schinder being on this team. they have to make a move or two to show hall this is the place he wants to resign and they only have what 3 more years left to do it? you think he wants to stay if we haven't made the playoffs in his time here?

i read that the islanders met the avs offer for duchense on some level. that being brazal a pick but wouldn't budge on harmonic? who knows but this is a win/win for the av's they get 2 top 10 picks and a d man that hasn't even entered his prime and we get an established nhl center that with hall could put up 70pts.

I wouldn't mind moving the first, especially considering how all over the map the rankings are once you get past the top handful of guys. And with the number of picks we have I think you could package your way back into the first if need be.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agree with both of you. If we cannot get to the top 3 range, trade the pick if the deal is right.
I looked at the FA market and for some reason thought it would be better this summer.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel we are all on a similar boat here....

There are some prospects that intrigued me now that are in the 7-12 range but that fluctates and will continue to cycle over n over as this draft isn't as set in stone as last years was.

There "could" be a Hovart type player.

That said, defense at the moment is my #1 look but Cup made a good point that good to great offensive players are locked up more so than others. So if there's an offensive gem or someone who slid to us, then do whats right.

Then there's the top 3 magic we could potentially make.... at that point, got to go offense for sure.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you have to remember too that vegas will be slotted in before us depending on where we finish. i believe vegas can't finish in the lotto any worse then 5th? so push us back a spot.

two summers in a row shero pulled off a great trade with palm and hall. with landeskog and duchense not being dealt i have my hopes up that we will target one of these guys.

which i've been wondering why is colorado trying to move either one of them? they are both in their early 20's and still under contract why move them? they should be building around these guys what gives?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have to remember too that vegas will be slotted in before us depending on where we finish. i believe vegas can't finish in the lotto any worse then 5th? so push us back a spot.

two summers in a row shero pulled off a great trade with palm and hall. with landeskog and duchense not being dealt i have my hopes up that we will target one of these guys.

which i've been wondering why is colorado trying to move either one of them? they are both in their early 20's and still under contract why move them? they should be building around these guys what gives?

I think both players need a change of scenery, seems a shakeup is in order (I could be wrong but I think Duchene more or less openly wants out).

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
welcome to nj then!

he hits ufa in 2 years time you can offer him a heavy contract if hes working out.

hall a ufa the year after and same deal.

you could be looking at hall and ducehense on the top line with palmari for the next 6 years in their prime thats a fantastic first line. you have henrique on the 2nd line hopefully by that time zacha is fully matured and entering his game and you would hope one of the picks from last year mcloed or bastian hit their mark. 3rd liners are a dime a dozen imo. woods/bendisi and a center works fine.

that would leave the defense

they have to be saving this cap space for a reason. hall is going to get a max term and everyone is locked up so why aren't they spending the 9 million they have now? more when cam comes off the books esp if vegas takes him. i really think shero has a trade this summer in him

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
haven't looked at them in awhile but damn the devils are 1pt away from 3rd worse in the NHL? damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! we might win the lotto!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my god we are LOL.... dont forget Vegas takes a spot too.

Owen Tippett..... i'm buying lol

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if the devils don't land a pick in the top 2 i would be open to moving it to the av's for landeskog or duchense. we need sure thing players and outside the top two players in the draft the next best thing is landeskog or duchense.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the devils don't land a pick in the top 2 i would be open to moving it to the av's for landeskog or duchense. we need sure thing players and outside the top two players in the draft the next best thing is landeskog or duchense.
I wont be mad with that either....

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it really just doesn't make sense to draft a "high" caliber prospect (not a generational one like matthews or mcdavid keep in mind) and then your probably looking at the same situation next year with the team being in the bottom 5 of the nhl again. and say they draft again another top 5 player and guess what? cory and hall are two years older and hall is a year away from UFA. lets say these kids did even pan out and became who they are projected to be.

how many teams won the cup with 2 players who are 19 years old playing major mins? the hall trade really put this team under the gun to get stuff moving now. like i said you want to take a pass on this season fine it didnt' work whatever they tried to do it didn't work. but they can't be in this same spot next year noway

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really just doesn't make sense to draft a "high" caliber prospect (not a generational one like matthews or mcdavid keep in mind) and then your probably looking at the same situation next year with the team being in the bottom 5 of the nhl again. and say they draft again another top 5 player and guess what? cory and hall are two years older and hall is a year away from UFA. lets say these kids did even pan out and became who they are projected to be.

how many teams won the cup with 2 players who are 19 years old playing major mins? the hall trade really put this team under the gun to get stuff moving now. like i said you want to take a pass on this season fine it didnt' work whatever they tried to do it didn't work. but they can't be in this same spot next year noway
Well what if, assuming we're outside the top 2, we see that there is a legit scorer on the Wings(L/R), for a team thats bare in offensive talent, do we pass that?

of course, i would like a trade to COL for Duchene or Lands but if by that point of the draft, if there is a great scoring prospect there, I think we must consider taking him and groom him.

Hall's chances of signing back with us doesn't change in the sense that he either does or doesn't if we do or do not trade for a COL star.

I get the being better now and i agree with it due to the circumstances. Why can't landing a talent rookie scorer be as good as keeping Hall here?

Next year they absolutely can't be in the same boat. That would be Hynes job on the line IMO

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hynes shouldn't be back next year at all. its clear making the hall trade that shero thought this team would take a step forward and maybe just be outside the 8th spot at end of the season. but for some reason the team got WORSE! and now are bottom 3 in the nhl? if that doesn't scream coaching issues i dont know what does.

my fear is that outside the top 2 players theres a drop off. i know theres a finnish d man that suppose to be like an karlsson lite version. which dont get me wrong this team needs but really can we afford to wait 3 years for the kid to develop? maybe with the expansion draft and the salary cap crunch the devils can parlay that pick to a team in need with a proven player not just say colorado. i know it would never happen but just think nabbing carlson from caps and another legit player kuznetsov? it gives them the cap space and a top pick which is what contending teams like the caps/hawks/rangers need cost controlled high profile prospects.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hynes shouldn't be back next year at all. its clear making the hall trade that shero thought this team would take a step forward and maybe just be outside the 8th spot at end of the season. but for some reason the team got WORSE! and now are bottom 3 in the nhl? if that doesn't scream coaching issues i dont know what does.

my fear is that outside the top 2 players theres a drop off. i know theres a finnish d man that suppose to be like an karlsson lite version. which dont get me wrong this team needs but really can we afford to wait 3 years for the kid to develop? maybe with the expansion draft and the salary cap crunch the devils can parlay that pick to a team in need with a proven player not just say colorado. i know it would never happen but just think nabbing carlson from caps and another legit player kuznetsov? it gives them the cap space and a top pick which is what contending teams like the caps/hawks/rangers need cost controlled high profile prospects.

Let's say we do get 3rd, we could possibly parlay extra picks to move up one.