• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 CB Position

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many of us have watch the last few seasons...the transformation of LeBeau's defense is more or less complete...CB has been the last phase of it and is still a work in progress...the recent game vs ATL either exposed something or the Steelers were just play coy. which is it?

Mike Hilton Looking Over His Shoulder Following Trade - Steelers Depot

This link makes note of a 7 headcount which I think will happen...(TE may only be 3)

Sensabaugh has gotten some snaps with the first unit in lieu of Cockrell this week. Just mixing it up or does this meaning anything?...for me I think they want to see what Sens would look like in that role...assuming he can fight thru this injury bug, Sutton is getting on the field this season...if Cockrell struggles, Sens may be the next man up, idk, but I think Sutton will get the call eventually. And Hilton in the slot for Gay.

Brian Allen may be gaining more steam towards this 53...the 7 number helps for sure, but I'm starting to think he will make it.

Phillips trade? is he the 7th CB? Tomlin seems to like trading for fringe CBs.

Your thoughts on the CBs?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still digesting the new addition of Phillips. They didn't give up much for him so I don't really know what to think of him. Never really knew anything about Crowley other than he had only been with us for about a week and a half. But Phillips has starter experience. UDFA turned starter after 2 or 3 seasons. Bounced around the league on PS's but found a home in Washington. Guess its always good to have experienced players that are younger. Getting a high upside guy like that and giving up a camp body seems like a win.

Saw they signed that Crawford kid (played slot CB in at UofMIA with Burns) yesterday only to waive/injured him this morning? Wonder what that was about? Did he even make it to a practice? I saw they waived Ducre to injury so maybe the new additions has a lot to do with that. But I also have to wonder if its an indication that they have completely given up on Golson.

Right now I have my CB depth as:
1. Burns
2. Cockrell
3. Gay
4. Sensabaugh
5. Hilton
6. Sutton

And if they hold 7...
7. Allen

I think Sensabaugh getting the nod this week is just a testing phase. After so many strong performances in both camp & preseason there's no way they can ignore his productivity. But we said the same thing about Brandon Boykin 2 years ago and that got us nowhere lol. Maybe they are trying a different approach. Instead of sticking with experienced players, let the play on the field dictate the depth. Makes for more of a true competition. Maybe Burns & Davis LY made a believer outta Tomlin.

I'm tired of seeing Gay out there. He's a liability in coverage, and now he is starting to slip with tackling (as seen last week against Atlanta). They need someone to step the F up right now and take his position. Gay is nothing more than a placeholder right now. And maybe the coaches are getting tired of waiting for someone to step up given the recent acquisition of Phillips?

And I agree with your sentiment on Sutton in the other thread. No chance he goes anywhere. If he was a 4th or 5th rounder, maybe. But he showed good enough promise before getting injured, and he seems to be very close to playing. Could be an IR-recall candidate.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still digesting the new addition of Phillips. They didn't give up much for him so I don't really know what to think of him. Never really knew anything about Crowley other than he had only been with us for about a week and a half. But Phillips has starter experience. UDFA turned starter after 2 or 3 seasons. Bounced around the league on PS's but found a home in Washington. Guess its always good to have experienced players that are younger. Getting a high upside guy like that and giving up a camp body seems like a win.

Saw they signed that Crawford kid (played slot CB in at UofMIA with Burns) yesterday only to waive/injured him this morning? Wonder what that was about? Did he even make it to a practice? I saw they waived Ducre to injury so maybe the new additions has a lot to do with that. But I also have to wonder if its an indication that they have completely given up on Golson.

Right now I have my CB depth as:
1. Burns
2. Cockrell
3. Gay
4. Sensabaugh
5. Hilton
6. Sutton

And if they hold 7...
7. Allen

I think Sensabaugh getting the nod this week is just a testing phase. After so many strong performances in both camp & preseason there's no way they can ignore his productivity. But we said the same thing about Brandon Boykin 2 years ago and that got us nowhere lol. Maybe they are trying a different approach. Instead of sticking with experienced players, let the play on the field dictate the depth. Makes for more of a true competition. Maybe Burns & Davis LY made a believer outta Tomlin.

I'm tired of seeing Gay out there. He's a liability in coverage, and now he is starting to slip with tackling (as seen last week against Atlanta). They need someone to step the F up right now and take his position. Gay is nothing more than a placeholder right now. And maybe the coaches are getting tired of waiting for someone to step up given the recent acquisition of Phillips?

And I agree with your sentiment on Sutton in the other thread. No chance he goes anywhere. If he was a 4th or 5th rounder, maybe. But he showed good enough promise before getting injured, and he seems to be very close to playing. Could be an IR-recall candidate.

Depth...I would with go that same ranking. I was position number crunching and I'm gathering it comes down to NT...if McCullers doesn't make it and it's starting to sound like LT Walton is next man up in coach Mitch's NT rotation...they could use his spot for a 7th CB and I also agree the 7th would be Allen.

OFC.

QB - 3
OG - 3
C/G - 2
OT - 3
FB - 1
TE - 3
RB - 3
WR - 6

24 ct

DEF

DE - 4
NT - 1
OLB - 5
ILB - 4
S - 4
CB - 7

25 ct

ST

P - 1
K - 1
H - 1
LS - 1

4 ct

More than anything, I think Tomlin wants to create some competition.

I was hoping for more from Sutton and I think he will deliver, but he's got to get on the field...all signs point to his debut this week.

I think Gay is just keeping the spot warm...I'm expecting Hilton (now, maybe Sensabugh) to be the slot CB probably before the bye week.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth...I would with go that same ranking. I was position number crunching and I'm gathering it comes down to NT...if McCullers doesn't make it and it's starting to sound like LT Walton is next man up in coach Mitch's NT rotation...they could use his spot for a 7th CB and I also agree the 7th would be Allen.

OFC.

QB - 3
OG - 3
C/G - 2
OT - 3
FB - 1
TE - 3
RB - 3
WR - 6

24 ct

DEF

DE - 4
NT - 1
OLB - 5
ILB - 4
S - 4
CB - 7

25 ct

ST

P - 1
K - 1
H - 1
LS - 1

4 ct

More than anything, I think Tomlin wants to create some competition.

I was hoping for more from Sutton and I think he will deliver, but he's got to get on the field...all signs point to his debut this week.

I think Gay is just keeping the spot warm...I'm expecting Hilton (now, maybe Sensabugh) to be the slot CB probably before the bye week.
H - 1 ? I'm assuming you mean a holder? The punter counts as that? I'd probably go with 4 RBs. And might drop one of the O-lineman given Hubbard's ability to play OT. Finney can backup all the positions inside. But other than that you have basically what I do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H - 1 ? I'm assuming you mean a holder? The punter counts as that? I'd probably go with 4 RBs. And might drop one of the O-lineman given Hubbard's ability to play OT. Finney can backup all the positions inside. But other than that you have basically what I do.

Berry, Boswell, Holba...yeah, should be 3 for ST with Berry doing the holding...if Watson is decent on ST, I like 4 RBs as well.

7 OL is bold...Finney's versatility is tempting to go with one inside swing guy, and one outside swing guy with Hubbard...I think they tried 7 one yr, and ran into some injuries...it's been 8 the last couple yrs I think...apparently Hawkins is waking up...he won't get a hat if he makes it...or does Feiler make more sense?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry, Boswell, Holba...yeah, should be 3 for ST with Berry doing the holding...if Watson is decent on ST, I like 4 RBs as well.

7 OL is bold...Finney's versatility is tempting to go with one inside swing guy, and one outside swing guy with Hubbard...I think they tried 7 one yr, and ran into some injuries...it's been 8 the last couple yrs I think...apparently Hawkins is waking up...he won't get a hat if he makes it...or does Feiler make more sense?
You're right. 1 injury away from crisis isn't a very insured position. 8 O-lineman makes more sense. Saw Feiler get the start last week in place of Foster. He definitely seems like the next man up if Hawkins doesn't win the swing OT job. Feiler looks like another Hubbard type that can play all the positions T/G/C.

RBs... I'm still pretty undecided on the RB4. Bell & Conner are the only locks IMO. Toussaint has looked good, but so has Davis & Watson. Davis & Toussaint are KR guys so that may push them onto the 53 over Watson. Haven't seen him field a kick yet. We might even see Trey Williams get a few opportunities on KR after his PR TD last week.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. 1 injury away from crisis isn't a very insured position. 8 O-lineman makes more sense. Saw Feiler get the start last week in place of Foster. He definitely seems like the next man up if Hawkins doesn't win the swing OT job. Feiler looks like another Hubbard type that can play all the positions T/G/C.

RBs... I'm still pretty undecided on the RB4. Bell & Conner are the only locks IMO. Toussaint has looked good, but so has Davis & Watson. Davis & Toussaint are KR guys so that may push them onto the 53 over Watson. Haven't seen him field a kick yet. We might even see Trey Williams get a few opportunities on KR after his PR TD last week.

Probably will boil down to Feiler and Hawkins for the 8th guy. I feel pretty good about the top 9 OL overall and really like the top 7 guys...with Hub and Finney much like the DL, this might be the deepest we've seen the OL in several yrs, maybe a decade.

RB...Unless he does something to knock himself out, I think Davis will make it...if Toussaint has the ST edge, maybe he's the 4th RB, they would already have 2 big backs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

Cameron Sutton Makes Some Plays In Preseason Debut - Steelers Depot

Not perfect, but it appears Sutton's debut was pretty good...played both inside and outside. Noted to be tight on the line in press mode...no mention of health status so maybe (hopefully) the hammy is behind him.

Mike Tomlin Makes Good On Promise To Shake Up Secondary - Steelers Depot

I like this...at one point had Sutton and Hilton on the field, but they seem to be confident in Sensabaugh...Gay's days as a major contributor are over...IDT think Tomlin will hesitate to pull him...could be week 1.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

Cameron Sutton Makes Some Plays In Preseason Debut - Steelers Depot

Not perfect, but it appears Sutton's debut was pretty good...played both inside and outside. Noted to be tight on the line in press mode...no mention of health status so maybe (hopefully) the hammy is behind him.

Mike Tomlin Makes Good On Promise To Shake Up Secondary - Steelers Depot

I like this...at one point had Sutton and Hilton on the field, but they seem to be confident in Sensabaugh...Gay's days as a major contributor are over...IDT think Tomlin will hesitate to pull him...could be week 1.
I'm excited that they are shuffling the depth chart. And I'm hopeful that will light a fire under some asses. But at what point do you start to question the coaches? I'd really love to know who is still choosing to go with the 12-15yd cushions off the LOS. I remember all the talks of "keep the play in front of you" and that is what it boils down to. When you watch the elite CBs in this league play you always see them using their hands on the receiver near the LOS. Their ability to track or redirect a receiver has a lot to do with that. The closest I've seen the PIT DBs play to the LOS was 5yds in man coverage. Rarely do they play at the LOS unless its in the RZ. The 5yds is right on the bubble for when the DB is allowed to touch the receiver which gives the receiver all the advantage he needs. With this much talent you would think they have all the tools they need, so why not question the mechanics being coached?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited that they are shuffling the depth chart. And I'm hopeful that will light a fire under some asses. But at what point do you start to question the coaches? I'd really love to know who is still choosing to go with the 12-15yd cushions off the LOS. I remember all the talks of "keep the play in front of you" and that is what it boils down to. When you watch the elite CBs in this league play you always see them using their hands on the receiver near the LOS. Their ability to track or redirect a receiver has a lot to do with that. The closest I've seen the PIT DBs play to the LOS was 5yds in man coverage. Rarely do they play at the LOS unless its in the RZ. The 5yds is right on the bubble for when the DB is allowed to touch the receiver which gives the receiver all the advantage he needs. With this much talent you would think they have all the tools they need, so why not question the mechanics being coached?

Scheme...I'm willing to let the season unfold before I dig into that too much. But...we've seen the results of the cushion, bend don't break defense...it's okay as a pts against scheme, but I've said over and over, we all know it, gotta be more aggressive, man up and go after the QB at times...especially against the better QBs.

If we're having this conversation week 3, week 4, yes, we have to direct it at coaching.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is one, above average CB away from being a Super Bowl winner.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... He's signed through 2018, so do they IR him again? His cap hit goes from just north of $1mil this year to $1.2mil next year. Dead money is around $300k if they cut him after this season, or close to double that if they cut ties now. Either way its negligible.

@ATL96Steeler @Terry Rode

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... He's signed through 2018, so do they IR him again? His cap hit goes from just north of $1mil this year to $1.2mil next year. Dead money is around $300k if they cut him after this season, or close to double that if they cut ties now. Either way its negligible.

@ATL96Steeler @Terry Rode

No...cut ties now.

I don't blame him for not rushing a hammy, which is why I'm glad Sutton was not rushed back out there. But, right now they have Sensabaugh, Hilton, and Sutton on top of Gay that can play the slot...One of them is going to clamp down on the position during the season I hope.

Let him have a shot on a another team...I do believe he has NFL talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat Writer Predicts Mike Hilton Will Start In Slot - Steelers Depot

@FaCe-LeE-uS

I've been hearing the staff's confidence in Hilton has been growing quickly...I think this will almost certainly happen...I thought it might take a few games, but it wouldn't shock me if Hilton is on the field week 1 in the slot...it sounds like Gay might be CB4 and we'll see him in dime...I'm not even sure if that holds up if Haden is brought in.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Hayden would at least point to an effort to overcome the Patriots problem.

What's the word on this guy? Only 28... but is he done?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Hayden would at least point to an effort to overcome the Patriots problem.

What's the word on this guy? Only 28... but is he done?

The word...money, they asked him to take a cut in pay, he refused...they cut him...to the Browns credit, an $11 mil per CB on a team that would do well to win 6 games doesn't make sense.

Yeah his play has slid from this '14 pro bowl year...mostly due to injury because he's only played 18 games since that pro bowl year...5 games in '15 and 13 games last year, but he made a decent recovery in '16.

In 13 games last yr...3 picks (that would've tied for the lead on the Steelers), 11 passes defended...that would've been 2nd to Burns who had 13 I think.

Bottomline...imo he can still play at a solid level and he's better than Cockrell...don't break the bank, but make it happen.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... I'm shocked they made this happen

We all said this team is an above average CB away from being a Super Bowl contender... Here we go Steeler Nation!!!