• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 Offseason Thread

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Orioles are known to be on the hunt for multiple starting pitchers this offseason — possibly as many as three — and MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko writes that the team has “definite” interest in righty Andrew Cashner and southpaw Jason Vargas. GM Dan Duquette has suggested in recent weeks that he’d prefer to add at least one lefty to his rotation, and Vargas would accomplish that goal."

I would be a fan of Cashner, Vargas is nothing great but better than Tillman/Miley.
tilly will have a good year . miley is trash

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tilly will have a good year . miley is trash
I agree, I think that Tillman will have a bounce back year. A one year prove it contract would be a good idea in my opinion.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles To Sign Josh Edgin

Since he's a lefty, I wonder if that means that they're working on a Britton trade or just to have another lefty in the pen for insurance?

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Orioles have announced a slew of minor-league signings, among them right-hander Jhan Marinez, southpaw Joely Rodriguez and infielder Ruben Tejada. Baltimore also announced the previously reported additions of infielder Luis Sardinas and lefties Josh Edgin and Ryan O’Rourke, with 14 total additions being made official.

Right-hander Jeff Ferrell was the only of the remaining players to sign who has reached the majors. Also joining the Baltimore organization on minors deals are righty Ralston Cash, catchers Armando Araiza and Yojhan Quevedo, and infielders Angelo Mora, Garabez Rosa, Ryan Ripken and Erick Salcedo. Araiza, Rosa, Ripken and Salcedo were all in the Orioles organization in 2017 as well."

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
britton will be our closer . it will take a bedard deal for him not to be . why you say ?
1 we have no other closer close to britton
2 manny is on his last year
3 our infield D is as good as any in the al . schoop , beckham , manny, davis and sisco (caleb)
4 the outfield hays , boom boom and jones with rickard in the outfield . that is 3 centerfielder with mullins and steward knocking on the door .
5 don't let Trumbo play outfield again .

comes back to starters we have the bp arms . so spend nice on fa starters with contracts that we can and willing to eat . i'm all for tilly here . remember how bad bridewell was and then he has a great year for the angels .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
britton will be our closer . it will take a bedard deal for him not to be . why you say ?
1 we have no other closer close to britton
2 manny is on his last year
3 our infield D is as good as any in the al . schoop , beckham , manny, davis and sisco (caleb)
4 the outfield hays , boom boom and jones with rickard in the outfield . that is 3 centerfielder with mullins and steward knocking on the door .
5 don't let Trumbo play outfield again .

comes back to starters we have the bp arms . so spend nice on fa starters with contracts that we can and willing to eat . i'm all for tilly here . remember how bad bridewell was and then he has a great year for the angels .
I can see someone wanting to overpay for Britton for what he did back in 2016 because teams always want pitching. Who would do that, well your guess would be as good as mine. The closest thing we have right now to a closer is Brach and he just didn't seem comfortable at all in the role. I think he feels a lot more comfortable as the setup guy in the 8th inning.
But I think if we need to trade anyone, it should be Manny. He has a lot more value and can play either SS or 3B. We're likely not going to be able to re-sign him so might as well get something back for him.
Agree about Trumbo. The only fielding position I would want to see him at would be 1B. Otherwise, keep him as a DH.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny should walk straight into PA's office and tell him he will NOT resign in B'More. This team is going no where and between PA's meddling and the reluctance to sign top tier FA pitching, there is absolutely no hope to resign Manny and Manny knows this. The incompetence or lack of spending is a direct reflection of how PA wants things done, which is his way. This team will never seriously contend for anything as long a PA owns the team and DD is in charge of what exactly, I do not know. Time to start rooting for another team.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manny should walk straight into PA's office and tell him he will NOT resign in B'More. This team is going no where and between PA's meddling and the reluctance to sign top tier FA pitching, there is absolutely no hope to resign Manny and Manny knows this. The incompetence or lack of spending is a direct reflection of how PA wants things done, which is his way. This team will never seriously contend for anything as long a PA owns the team and DD is in charge of what exactly, I do not know. Time to start rooting for another team.
Just curious but what would Manny accomplish by doing that? If anything, I'm sure Peter would keep him all season on a sub .500 team just to try to mess with his head, regardless of how it'd affect the team in the future. I think Peter Angelos has shown he doesn't really care about how well the team does as long as he continues to make money off of the team and MASN. Which is why you're right that I don't believe this team will ever be a serious contender as long as Peter has the final say in things. I just wish that he or his sons whenever Peter dies, sells the team to someone that actually cares about the product on the field. As for Duquette, I have never liked him much either so when his contract is up at the end of next season, I wouldn't be upset at all if he bolts.
This team needs a massive overhaul. I have wanted for a while for this team to trade any piece you can get a good value back in return (like the Yankees did at the deadline last year). I can deal with a rebuild and some horrible seasons if it means in the long run this team will be better. I doubt it'll ever happen but I believe that would be the best for the organization since the team as it's currently constructed isn't going to sniff the postseason next year.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious but what would Manny accomplish by doing that? If anything, I'm sure Peter would keep him all season on a sub .500 team just to try to mess with his head, regardless of how it'd affect the team in the future. I think Peter Angelos has shown he doesn't really care about how well the team does as long as he continues to make money off of the team and MASN. Which is why you're right that I don't believe this team will ever be a serious contender as long as Peter has the final say in things. I just wish that he or his sons whenever Peter dies, sells the team to someone that actually cares about the product on the field. As for Duquette, I have never liked him much either so when his contract is up at the end of next season, I wouldn't be upset at all if he bolts.
This team needs a massive overhaul. I have wanted for a while for this team to trade any piece you can get a good value back in return (like the Yankees did at the deadline last year). I can deal with a rebuild and some horrible seasons if it means in the long run this team will be better. I doubt it'll ever happen but I believe that would be the best for the organization since the team as it's currently constructed isn't going to sniff the postseason next year.

To your point about trade pieces and the value return...shouldn't we have already traded Manny, Britton, Jones and others who are on their last year this year? The return value now will be next to nothing unless you are Machado and it looks as if the organization will let him walk for virtually nothing. What piss poor management!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To answer your question about Manny. He would accomplish getting his trade out of B'More as I don't believe any player has walked into PA's office and told him what a piss poor organization he is running and winning is not priority #1. This team has walked through the past 10 years with NO pitching and when they did land a guy like Arrietta, they found a way to fuk that up too! The O's are just a head scratcher because while the guys on the field are trying to win, you don't think for one minute those same players are not watching the failed Ubaldo, Wright, Miley, Norris, Gallardo, Wilson or any other guy they can find and throw on the mound don't see that the FO has done nothing to fix their rotation since they all have been there? DD is known as a dumpster diver for pitching. How has that worked out for him and the team?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point about trade pieces and the value return...shouldn't we have already traded Manny, Britton, Jones and others who are on their last year this year? The return value now will be next to nothing unless you are Machado and it looks as if the organization will let him walk for virtually nothing. What piss poor management!
Yeah, I think it should've happened at the trade deadline when we could've maximized what we could've gotten even more. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will take Davis because of the idiotic contract we signed him to unless we eat a good portion of it.
To answer your question about Manny. He would accomplish getting his trade out of B'More as I don't believe any player has walked into PA's office and told him what a piss poor organization he is running and winning is not priority #1. This team has walked through the past 10 years with NO pitching and when they did land a guy like Arrietta, they found a way to fuk that up too! The O's are just a head scratcher because while the guys on the field are trying to win, you don't think for one minute those same players are not watching the failed Ubaldo, Wright, Miley, Norris, Gallardo, Wilson or any other guy they can find and throw on the mound don't see that the FO has done nothing to fix their rotation since they all have been there? DD is known as a dumpster diver for pitching. How has that worked out for him and the team?
That won't work because Peter would probably keep him here out of spite, just like DDDD. He's the type to cut off his nose to spite his face.
Let's face it, we've all known that for about the last 20 years, this has been one of the worst run franchises in all of sports and that's not changing. We are about to relive the 98-12 seasons all over again because the owner doesn't have a clue about running a team and only cares only about making money.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching MLBN a few minutes ago, Rosenthal says Orioles are now shopping Machado because not only can he walk in a year, he wants to play SS moving forward in an effort to maximize his value. If they find any suitors, (likely an extension must be agreed upon first with new team) it sounds as if the O's are going into a rebuild. If this is the case, I'm certain Showalter will step down as he wants no part of a rebuild.
Agreed in saying the Orioles are one of if not the worst run team in all of MLB.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching MLBN a few minutes ago, Rosenthal says Orioles are now shopping Machado because not only can he walk in a year, he wants to play SS moving forward in an effort to maximize his value. If they find any suitors, (likely an extension must be agreed upon first with new team) it sounds as if the O's are going into a rebuild. If this is the case, I'm certain Showalter will step down as he wants no part of a rebuild.
Agreed in saying the Orioles are one of if not the worst run team in all of MLB.
Looks like the two biggest teams I've seen linked to him are the Cardinals and Phillies. I think that if the Cards end up getting Ozuna from the Marlins that the Phillies would be the most likely out of everyone. Just saw an article where Buck said he'd like to coach the team beyond next year but I guess that'll be a wait and see. Wonder if that has anything to do with knowing that Dan will likely be leaving at that point.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"6:27pm: The Yankees and White Sox are also interested in Machado, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports (Twitter link). As mentioned below, Peter Angelos doesn’t want to deal Machado to New York, while the Sox are an interesting suitor that could be looking at Machado as the centerpiece of a return to contention. Cardinals GM Michael Girsch told Ben Frederickson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that giving up significant assets for a star player with just one year of control remaining is “not a path we are likely to go down.” Interestingly, this description applies to both Machado and to another oft-mentioned Cards trade target in Josh Donaldson.

4:29pm: “Several clubs” asked the Orioles about Machado today, Dan Duquette told MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli (Twitter links), Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter links) and other media. There’s at least a possibility a trade happens, and the Orioles have apparently not discussed an extension with Machado in years, though new negotiations are “under consideration.” The O’s haven’t talked about giving any potential Machado trade partner a 72-hour window to try and negotiate their own extension with the infielder.

1:43pm: The Cardinals have interest in Machado, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. The Phillies are said to be enamored of Machado, too, and there are no doubt a wide variety of other teams lining up to check on in the asking price. Baltimore is receiving a “ton” of interest in Machado, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com tweets."

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll believe they'll actually trade Manny when I see it. He is clearly going to walk next year weather we get anything in return for him or not.

I wanted him to be traded last June of course they thought they could somehow compete with that terrible rotation.

Better late than never but I feel like Peter won't trade him regardless.