• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA rookie thread

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few good rookies this year. Some will get playing time right out of the gate.
Who you got for rookie of the year?

I'm really pulling for that Duke kid that's bonin' that Savanah Christley chick. That alone should get him some kind of trophy.

Dennis Smith Jr.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Ball is the ROY. Hurts cause I was telling my Philly family had be great with Ben Simmons.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with Ball because of his opportunity. The Lakers have no one to take minutes from him after trading away Russell. Also, I think Fultz and Simmons will take votes away from each other playing for the same team.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ding Yanyuhang gonna win Rookie of the Year and MVP

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The past 2-3 years have produced great talent.

DSJ seems to be above the rest. John Collins from the Hawks is the real deal as well. As long as Ball put in the work on defense, he should be good to go.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be a very close race between Ball and Simmons, but I think Ball wins. Simmons and all other rookies are basically running an uphill race at this point. Ball's hype gives him a substantial advantage.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be a very close race between Ball and Simmons, but I think Ball wins. Simmons and all other rookies are basically running an uphill race at this point. Ball's hype gives him a substantial advantage.

Even Smith?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Smith?

the last rookie carrying anywhere near the level of hype Ball has right now was LeBron. There have been more talented players to enter the league since then, but the hype matters. Every one of Ball's summer league games was in prime time and people want to see him play. If his numbers are anywhere close to the other top rookies, he will win the award.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with Fultz.

I see him as a near Kyrie level scorer, so his impact will be more obvious than Ball's.

It will be similar to when Larry Bird won it over Magic. As great as Magic's rookie year was, Bird's impact was more obvious. Lakers ain't winning the championship like they did with Magic though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with Fultz.

I see him as a near Kyrie level scorer, so his impact will be more obvious than Ball's.

It will be similar to when Larry Bird won it over Magic. As great as Magic's rookie year was, Bird's impact was more obvious. Lakers ain't winning the championship like they did with Magic though.

I think the Kyrie comparison is a good one, but I also think Fultz is going to be 3rd best on his own team. If Embiid actually plays, I can't see Fultz outproducing Ball or Simmons.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 76ers making the playoffs could give the edge to Simmons. It all depends. I think it'll be between Ball, Simmons, and DSJ, with Fultz having an outside chance but taking a backseat to Simmons. Josh Jackson should also get some opportunities in Phoenix -- but I don't think he'll put up the offensive numbers to get the votes.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few good rookies this year. Some will get playing time right out of the gate.
Who you got for rookie of the year?

I'm really pulling for that Duke kid that's bonin' that Savanah Christley chick. That alone should get him some kind of trophy.

Dennis Smith Jr.

Hard to agree with a Chelski fan but your spot on, I mean about Savanah!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 76ers making the playoffs could give the edge to Simmons. It all depends. I think it'll be between Ball, Simmons, and DSJ, with Fultz having an outside chance but taking a backseat to Simmons. Josh Jackson should also get some opportunities in Phoenix -- but I don't think he'll put up the offensive numbers to get the votes.

I agree.

Jackson may very well end up being the best of the class long term, but I don't think he is as polished as some of the their top rookies.

Give De'Aaron Fox a puncher's chance as well.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

Jackson may very well end up being the best of the class long term, but I don't think he is as polished as some of the their top rookies.

Give De'Aaron Fox a puncher's chance as well.

I was just about to say Fox too, but I think George Hill being there takes away some of that chance. Like I believe Tatum could have been a real solid contender if the Celtics didn't have 50 Small Forwards on their roster.

I think Lonzo, Simmons, and Jackson will be the top 3 ROY candidates.

Couple of sleepers though:

1) Donovan Mitchell. The Jazz have been searching for a dynamic scorer and play maker for a few years. He'll provide a nice change of pace and I think he'll get some immediate run with possibly Hood shifting over to the 3. His motor will get him some immediate action on the court for a playoff team.

2) John Collins. With Millsap gone and the Hawks looking to rebuild, I think Collins gets an immediate shot to step in and take a role on this team. He had a really strong summer league and I think he'll get a lot of opportunity.

3) Caleb Swanigan. The Blazers PF position has been awful the last few years. They've tried to run smaller with Aminu or Harkless playing there at times. Vonleh is still young, but hasnt' done much yet. Ed Davis seems to fall in and out of favor a lot there. I think Swanigan will have an opportunity to step in and play right away. The Blazers are a different team with Nurkic out there. Swanigan can step out and hit the outside shot and he's also a better passer than I had expected. His motor and rebounding ability should be able to get him a real shot at a starting spot, IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just about to say Fox too, but I think George Hill being there takes away some of that chance. Like I believe Tatum could have been a real solid contender if the Celtics didn't have 50 Small Forwards on their roster.

I think Lonzo, Simmons, and Jackson will be the top 3 ROY candidates.

Couple of sleepers though:

1) Donovan Mitchell. The Jazz have been searching for a dynamic scorer and play maker for a few years. He'll provide a nice change of pace and I think he'll get some immediate run with possibly Hood shifting over to the 3. His motor will get him some immediate action on the court for a playoff team.

2) John Collins. With Millsap gone and the Hawks looking to rebuild, I think Collins gets an immediate shot to step in and take a role on this team. He had a really strong summer league and I think he'll get a lot of opportunity.

3) Caleb Swanigan. The Blazers PF position has been awful the last few years. They've tried to run smaller with Aminu or Harkless playing there at times. Vonleh is still young, but hasnt' done much yet. Ed Davis seems to fall in and out of favor a lot there. I think Swanigan will have an opportunity to step in and play right away. The Blazers are a different team with Nurkic out there. Swanigan can step out and hit the outside shot and he's also a better passer than I had expected. His motor and rebounding ability should be able to get him a real shot at a starting spot, IMO.

You are right on about MItchell. He belongs in the conversation, although I don't think he has quite as clear a path to heavy minutes.

I made a comment about Swanigan on the OS thread. If he entered the NBA in 2000, he would have been a surefire lotto pick, maybe even top 5. IT is crazy How much things have changed is such a short time.

That said, while the Blazers lack a PF, they do have a lot of big men. I don't see Swanigan getting the minutes or touches to be anywhere near the conversation.